persuasive

persuasive

A Story by bikergirl3636
"

This is a papper is a from from my other papper! its also for school its some what changed but it is more gripping and emotonal tell me your thoughts.

"

Megan cradled the positive pregnancy test with tears welling up in her eyes, like waves from the oncoming tide. I opened up my warm arms and hugged her tightly; as she drenched my shirt in salty tears. Teen pregnancy is becoming a common event across the country. Teen pregnancy is a huge public affair and people forget how life changing it is. It’s time to catch up with the modern day and get practical; Schools providing contraceptives is a highly effective way to dramatically decrease teen pregnancy. I propose a clinic in every school. Middle school through college, we need access to contraceptives in school to bring abortion rates down and to educate.

 Did you know that three out of every ten girls will get pregnant once by the time she is twenty? Out of these pregnancies 19% end in abortion. That’s over 700,000 pregnancies every year. Out of those women who become pregnant, 50% are more likely to repeat a grade and not graduate.  Out of those same women, 2% don’t get a degree by the age of 30. Government welfare and AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children) is used on almost 80% of these women. The future of these children is compromised. Eight out of 10 fathers don’t stay with the children. Those fatherless children are 5 times more likely to be poor and the daughters are 3 times more likely to repeat being a young mother. Sons are twice as likely to end up in jail; while facts are undeniably shocking ("Sexual Health”).

 Only a few schools have chosen to engage to provide kids with a form of birth control. In 2010, Port Richmond High School in New York City has managed to drop their pregnancy rates by 27%; that’s a whopping 189,000 less pregnancies just by adding/ expanding their accessibility to contraceptives, ("Stay Teen”).  This program is called CATCH, Connecting Adolescents To Comprehensive Health. A common contraceptive given out is a pill called Plan B, which is over-the-counter and highly effective if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex. 

Many parents are shocked and stunned at the mere idea of giving kids in high school and junior high condoms or any other form of birth control. Rightfully so, public schools are taxed paid. The average family pays a minimal of 6,000 dollars a year in taxes,(” Budget Explainer”). That’s a good pocket full of money that they may not want to be funding teens to get there birth control. However an average of $7 billion a year or 18,329 per birth vs $3,200 a year for each teenager to receive birth control is far less. The long term money saved on AFDC and welfare will pay off in 1 year (“Declercq”). Religious leaders of churches say that by making it available will make a dramatic increase that kids become sexually active. This is actually not true. A study by Mark A. Schuster, Robert M. Bell, Sandra H. Berry and David E. Kanouse calledImpact of a High School Condom Availability Program on Sexual Attitudes and Behaviors,” Shows no increases at all.

Teens are likely to think that having the, reduces the chance of having a STD. HPV and Herpes, which you can get just from sexual contact can cause cancer and blisters.  Not to mention the side effects of pills and other forms of birth control. Such as dizziness, weight gain, nausea, headache, mood swings, allergic reaction, and even blood clots,( ” 7 Common Birth”) However the side effects of pregnancy is much higher.

Crazy, this world is getting crazier by the year. Sex is everywhere in media and advertising; I hope we, as a country can figure out how something to do about this problem very soon; so we have less of that poor girl crying and more healthy active teens.

© 2014 bikergirl3636


Author's Note

bikergirl3636
any thing under the sun keep in mind this is not the final paper!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
Added on July 2, 2014
Last Updated on July 21, 2014
Tags: sex, drugs, condoms, love, teen, pregancy

Author

bikergirl3636
bikergirl3636

CO



About
Hi There reader I'm Laura I'm 25 years old I am dyslexic, but have the most amazing talent for ideas and for writing even tho my spelling is not the best, consider it a challenge to understand me but.. more..

Writing