Of Escalating Measure

Of Escalating Measure

A Story by GenMuffin7

 

Of Escalating Measure

 

            In respect to age, the United States is arguably the youngest nation in the modern world, but arguably presides as the strongest and most influential as well. A determined few forged the country to be the supreme power it is today, and there remain yet only a few strive to maintain that goal. Despite those individuals’ best efforts, America has become, and remains, a country of mass consumption and waste. The accessibility of energy and the allure of consumer goods prove too strong an appeal for the inconsiderate Americans, and our ignorance leads to our inefficiency as a world power.

            Considering all of the luxuries Americans take for granted, their eagerness to waste and consume energy attest to be the most hazardous. The United States has the most boastful and technologically advanced economy in the world, but the country is the number one global warming polluter. Six former US Environmental Protection Agency leaders have determinedly stated that the United States is not doing enough to fight global warming. This information has long been made public, and yet there has been no action from Congress, as zero bills have been passed to cut global warming pollution. In America’s stead, there are several key industrious Western European and several Eastern Asian countries that have actively moved to promote cleaner and healthier governments and mindsets such as Germany and Japan. These two countries, which were once the epitomes of evil and wrongdoing in the eyes of the American people, have actively moved to reduce their carbon emissions, energy use, and efficiently reprocess their recyclables. Americans, meanwhile, have irrationally gone to great lengths to justify their consumption and ignore the consequences of the looming realities of global warming, meticulous in their ludicrous reasoning. The simple measures that can be taken to reduce carbon emissions, such as carpooling, driving more efficient cars, purchasing more efficient light bulbs, lowering the thermostat, and using warm or cold water instead of hot when washing their clothes, are all but lost upon them. In the past, America was portrayed as a country that set standards for other nations, and used its influence to better the world, but in light of the peoples’ inability to comprehend the enormity of the situation, this role was lost; it is time for the people of America to rise as a unified nation and combat the potential calamities that threaten the entire world.

            The lifestyles of the average American have been proven to be considerably more advantageous than those of peoples in other nations. While citizens of the United States account for merely one-twentieth of the world population, approximately three-fourths of all wasted resources are attributed to them. Instead of adapting to the new world order, America seems to have taken steps backwards. The sizes of the popular American cars are increasing as their mileage hastily decrease, and American energy use and consumption is consistently higher than that of the United States’ more competent neighbors to the east. According to a study in 2005, the average American adult spends seven hundred and fifty dollars on gifts and accessories annually. When taking mainstream American holidays and events into account, the figures are found to be disproportional with the relative incomes of the Americans. Corporations like Wal-Mart thrive in America, where the mindset of the people is to purchase all of their goods at once, and in great quantities. The products come in discounts and bargains such as, “buy one, get three free,” and “purchase four items, and get the fifth free.” Mass purchasing of both everyday commodities and more trivial wares seem to have been integrated into the very centre of American culture. These findings correlate to the self-centered and egocentric American mindsets. Current marketing plays off of insecurities, dreams, ideals, morals, and emotions with frightening success. The American role as a distinguished and respected leader among nations has been long diminished, and stereotypes of the countries’ absurdity are all that remain.

            America’s inefficiency as a world power in current times can be attributed to the average American’s irresponsible consumption of consumer goods and energy. The populace of the once-admirable country must gather their wits and join the ranks among those that are cost and energy-effective. Only when such measures are taken can the nation become unified and, once again, lead the world to greatness. Only when Americans rise to contest and prevent their shortcomings, will I be proud to be an American.

© 2008 GenMuffin7


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
The last line is the most unfortunate.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Added on May 27, 2008

Author

GenMuffin7
GenMuffin7

Pleasanton, CA



About
high school junior. love to write, play all sports (esp soccer + football). more..

Writing