Changes Over Time

Changes Over Time

A Story by GenMuffin7
"

An essay on a series of books by Raymond E. Feist.

"

 

Changes Over Time

 

The Riftwar Saga takes the reader from the small outlying town of Crydee in the Kingdom, to the exotic and strange world of the hostile Tsurani invaders, to the North-West realm of Elvendar, and finally to the nothingness that are the rifts to battle the Enemy to save all worlds from certain darkness. Throughout the journey, many characters are introduced, each with their own role in the story. In Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Saga, from his first installment, Magician: Apprentice, to his concluding chapters in A Darkness at Sethanon, each individual grows and changes as time progresses and more events unfold.

Just one of the many main characters in the Riftwar Saga, Pug enters the story as a young, fourteen-year-old orphan boy in the small Western frontier town of Crydee.  His stature is slightly shorter than average and he is reminded of it often but he never concedes to his disadvantage. Pug is introduced as a boy with no special talents, and no distinctive traits to remember him by. During the Choosing, Pug becomes an apprentice under the Magician of the realm and begins the intricate undertaking of the “Lesser Path” of magic with much difficulty. As the journey develops, the changes in Pug become more noticeable, and increasingly significant. He saves the beautiful Princess Carline from a band of vicious trolls by use of his newly learned magic. His utilization of the magic is shocking to all with any magical background because his method was thought improbable, if not impossible. His mentor, Kulgan, boldly states that Pug will revolutionize magic and become great and powerful in his application of the arts. The princess and Pug soon admit their feelings for each other and Carline presses to gain his affections. Pug is confused about their relationship and clears up their situation by maturely explaining his emotions and thoughts. He explains how much she means to him while saving both of them from the impending consequences of their romance. Carline adds, “That’s why I think I love you. You could never be false with anyone . . . Least of all with yourself” (Magician Apprentice, 115).

 During his long imprisonment in the alien world of Kelewan, Pug learns to master his patience and his tolerance for pain. Numerous sessions of torture and rigorous labor become routine for him. It is on the same planet that his great magical talent is discovered and becomes utilized to its full potential. Pug becomes Milamber, Magician of the Assembly and with his new title comes immense wisdom and responsibility. From there he continues to follow the path set for him by the Beings who paved his destiny. This path augments his maturity, intelligence, power, compassion, and ultimately leads to a decisive, but costly victory. Unfazed by the countless obstacles intended to thwart his intentions, Pug, with much help from his companions, overcomes each one to successfully defeat the Enemy and maintain the worlds in his, and all other, galaxies.

Tomas is another character who demonstrates a great change in attributes and personality over the course of the expedition. Tomas is described as a “tall boy, with sandy hair and bright blue eyes” with a “boyish tendency to find trouble” (Magician Apprentice, 17). Tomas and Pug are introduced as best friends at the beginning of the story and over the estimated twenty-five year span of the journey, maintain that strong bond and even reinforce it. Unlike Pug, Tomas is apprenticed to Swordmaster Fannon and is originally expected to become skilled in the art of war, both mentally and physically. During Pug and Tomas’ first journey outside of the lands of Crydee, the group is ambushed by a large group of moredhel, or Dark Elves, and Tomas becomes separated from the rest of the group. He manages to escape the elves as his destiny intends and walks upon the great dragon, Rhuagh, who is in the final hours of his life. Tomas’ changes come into effect immediately. Tomas receives a magical suit of armor and a mystic sword, which provide him with great physical prowess accompanied with powerful magic, and the ability to ride and guide dragons. He later learns the suit harbors a the ancient spirit of the Valheru, Ashen-Shugar as he battles the being that provided him with the tremendous power. He leaves the battle victorious, but is no longer just Tomas of Crydee; he is Ashen-Shugar the Dragonlord as well. He immediately joins the highland dwarves and the elves in their defense against the seemingly endless attacking hordes of the Tsurani. His armor enhances his ability to command troops and his tactics, although gruesome and harsh at times, prove invaluable to the defense of Elvendar. Tomas endures increasingly dark moods by the day and secludes himself from all his companions to find himself and to combat his inner-demon. His newfound physique and attitude wins him the heart of the beautiful and wise Queen Aglaranna. Together they bear a son and Tomas’ efforts at overcoming his dark side are renewed. Eventually he conquers the Valheru but retains his abilities and maintains his extended life period. Tomas, Pug, and Macros the Black combine their might to combat and defeat the Enemy. The battle leaves Tomas refreshed and once again content with his life. His transformations prove the most noticeable and leave him as the most affected of the characters.

            None of the participating characters leave the story unscathed and unchanged. Their physical and mental modifications range from barely noticeable to life-changing, and in many cases, death.   Pug and Tomas undergo vast amounts of pressure and adapt both consciously and subconsciously to meet their new standards, achieving what they were destined to perform.  

© 2008 GenMuffin7


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on May 27, 2008
Last Updated on July 30, 2008

Author

GenMuffin7
GenMuffin7

Pleasanton, CA



About
high school junior. love to write, play all sports (esp soccer + football). more..

Writing