Laws of Life Essay

Laws of Life Essay

A Story by GenMuffin7
"

Mandatory essay meant to describe / exemplify some good quality. I did respect.

"

 

My Way of Life

           

Respect is the gateway to success. One with the ability to respect, and earn respect in return, will undoubtedly lead an ideal life. Many of today’s problems and difficulties arise from lack of respect. Respect does not apply solely to respecting others, but more importantly, respecting morals and values, and respecting oneself.

            Respect earns respect. This expression has proven true many times in my life and has taught me the value of being trustworthy and trusting others in return. This was undoubtedly the most significant character development lesson I have ever undergone. Several years ago I was enrolled in Karate-dō, the art of self-defense, where I would attend three to four days a week. Before and after each and every class we would line up in accordance to rank and seniority to recite the virtues of our style. There were five main qualities that went in accordance with our teachings in the art of Shotokan. The main philosophy behind Gichin Funakoshi’s teachings was individual self perfection. To attain such a state it is required that you practice the true meaning of respect. As I was a child when I first began this ritual, the true meaning behind what was being taught eluded me. It wasn’t until I had reached my sixth attending year at Pine Waves that I realized the true importance of respect. That year, many different events occurred that, for me, defined respect.

I had always been a headstrong and confident person who detested failure and weakness. Losing was unacceptable by my standards and each time I did so I would fail to show the proper respect to my opponent by bowing to them after the match and shaking their hands. I continued this disrespectful behavior until I witnessed a friend of mines’ sparring match. He was a black belt at the time and was competing against extremely talented and formidable opponents. During his match he made the mistake of following a feint and threw himself into a powerful punch and dropped to the floor. He had taken the hit to the head and had ceased moving. He was taken off the arena and was tended to by the supervising medics. He had been diagnosed with a mild concussion but was alright for the most part. Later he returned to the match and formally forfeited. It shocked me to see that he still observed the proper respective formalities and even gave his opponent a friendly and knowing nod to demonstrate that there was to be no hostility between the two. His simple gesture touched me and gave me much to think about. I understood that my friend had reacted to that day’s event as he had as a result of the respect he held for others, the art of Shotokan, and especially, himself. From then on it became natural for me to deal with others respectfully and to earn respect in return.

I applied this new philosophy and attitude to my every day life and found my life improving for the better. I made new friends who I became extremely close to, more people began to feel comfortable talking to me, and I became a better person overall.

“That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong,” William J. H. Boetcker.

© 2008 GenMuffin7


Author's Note

GenMuffin7
This is simply terrible.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on May 27, 2008
Last Updated on July 30, 2008

Author

GenMuffin7
GenMuffin7

Pleasanton, CA



About
high school junior. love to write, play all sports (esp soccer + football). more..

Writing