To the Death

To the Death

A Story by GenMuffin7
"

An essay on Malcolm X.

"

 

To the Death

     He met the then-racist world head on and valiantly struggled to his bitter end. His actions and beliefs went down in history such that he will never be forgotten, and everything he fought for will, in some way, be attributed to him. The change he wrought upon the world in his short time proves that his teachings are here to stay. In all of his righteousness, he went down in history, for some, as a military leader who utilized violence and was extremely racist himself. Malcolm X was the most extreme and devoted man of the last two-hundred years and brought about more potential change to the lower-class black populace in America than any other person in the history of the United States. 

     Malcolm X, akin to a great number of heroes, grew up in a dysfunctional family and under limiting circumstances. His father was murdered before he reached his teens, and his mother was forcefully taken to an asylum (Malcolm X 9). From there on out, he was subject to learning how to survive on the streets from pimps and hustlers. Malcolm’s half-sister, Ella, was adamant that he find as respectable an occupation as somebody of his status could attain, resulting in his job as a shoe shiner at a nearby dance hall. After numerous encounters with several more influential locals, he was introduced to the local variety of illicit drugs. He became affiliated with dealing drugs and later, “was known to almost every popular Negro musician around New York in 1944-1945” (Malcolm X 72). Malcolm further entangled himself in the ways of the ghetto and eventually fell into trouble with the authorities. Malcolm was targeted for heavy drugs and possession of arms. He decided to surrender peacefully and gave himself up without struggle, and as a result, “they didn’t beat [Malcolm]…and [Malcolm] knew it was because [he] hadn’t tried to kill the detective,” (Malcolm X 149). He was sentenced to ten years in jail at Charlestown State Prison at the age of twenty.   

     The inspiration and drive Malcolm gained from his time in prison was reinforced by his daily experiences. It was in prison when he ultimately realized all of his wrongdoings and past sins (Malcolm X 159). He then plunged into a state of severe depression and refused to eat and limited his speech. Concerned, members of Malcolm’s immediate family began to urge that he write a letter to “the Honorable Elijah Muhammad,” the “Messenger of Allah,” to explain his predicament (Malcolm X 161). Once Malcolm mustered the will to do so, he realized that his writing was incompetent. He later admitted, “I practically couldn’t read my handwriting myself; it shames even to remember it. My spelling and grammar were as bad, if not worse,” (Malcolm X 169). Elijah Muhammad’s response “had an all but electrical effect upon,” Malcolm (Malcolm X 169). Elijah had written that the black prisoner “symbolized white society’s crime of keeping black men oppressed and deprived and ignorant, and unable to get decent jobs, turning them into criminals,” Muhammad told Malcolm to have strength and courage (Malcolm X 169). As soon as he became erudite in the teachings of Islam, he dedicated himself to following them wholeheartedly. He wasted no time in attempting to enlighten and recruit his fellow, wronged, African-American convicts. His newfound reasoning and articulate debating skills won over several men and gained him respect from other educated prisoners as well. His success in converting other African-American prisoners was almost certainly the reason he was discharged four years earlier than his sentenced jail time (Malcolm X 191).

     Immediately upon being released, Malcolm headed to Detroit, where he planned to further instigate his teachings by becoming “a member of a temple of practicing Muslims,” (Malcolm X 191). Malcolm was inspired by the preaching at Temple Number One, hence he made it his duty and obligation to introduce his entire race to the glorious and righteous ways of Islam. His dedication to the cause earned him the attention of Elijah Muhammad along with several other important, powerful figures in the Nation of Islam. With time, Malcolm proved his worth and his oratory prowess by single-handedly tripling the membership of the temple and was assigned many individual projects vital to the expansion of the Nation (Malcolm X 225). Malcolm instigated wit, cunning, humor, rhetoric, aggressiveness, and self-assuredness into his speaking to persuade and inspire the masses. His beliefs at the time were that the only way to effect change, at this stage, was through sheer force. Malcolm would repeatedly state that, “you have to walk in with a hand grenade, and tell the man, `Listen, you give us what we’ve got coming or nobody is going to get anything.’” In reference to a protest march, Malcolm responded, “I don’t believe we’re going to overcome [by] singing. If you’re going to get yourself a .45 and start singing `We Shall Overcome,’ I’m with you,” (www.cmgww.com/historic/malcolm/about/quotes.htm). It was statements such as these that captured his message and informed the populace of the drastic steps he was willing to take in order to achieve what he steadfastly believed in.

     His establishments of temples in major cities such as Chicago, Richmond, and most notably, New York City, proved extremely successful. With each victory he would become more committed to his cause. Malcolm promptly became the second most sought after speaker in the United States. His audiences consisted of both African-Americans and Whites, where he received challenges from individuals of both ethnicities. What bewildered and angered him most was when he was challenged by an African-American who would steadfastly defend the actions of white men.

Why, you should hear those Negroes attack me, trying

 to justify, or forgive the white man’s crimes! These

Negroes are people who bring me nearest to breaking

one of my principal rules, which is never to let myself

become over-emotional and angry.  `You must be a law

student, aren’t you?’ They have to say either yes, or no.

And I say, `I thought you were. You defend this criminal

white man harder than he defends his guilty self!’

(Malcolm 284).

Malcolm inspired African-Americans around the country to speak out and demand complete equality and separation.

Malcolm’s faith was severely tested when his mentor and inspiration, Elijah Muhammad, was accused of having intimate relations with his secretary. His actions went against the teachings of Islam and Malcolm was devastated. Elijah had already been intimidated by Malcolm’s influence and power and began to look upon his star pupil unfavorably. Malcolm was aware of his predicament and took advantage of the timing of the scandal to separate from the Nation of Islam to create his own organization dedicated to eliminating “political oppression, the economic exploitation, and the social degradation suffered daily” (www.cmgww.com/historic/malcolm/about/quotes.htm). Malcolm announced that he had undergone many changes and made many adjustments to his beliefs and methods after his pilgrimage to Mecca. He had described the holy land as: “The people of all races, colors, from all over the world coming together as one! It has proved to me the power of the One God,” (www.cmgww.com/historic/malcolm/about/quotes.htm). His new attitude was that he could “get along with white people who can get along with [Malcolm]” (www.cmgww.com/historic/malcolm/about/quotes.htm). His new outlooks earned him many enemies, Elijah Muhammad among them. Elijah knew of the power and influence Malcolm X wielded and sought to destroy him before he could win over members of the Nation of Islam, or denounce the organization or its leader. Malcolm was keenly aware of his situation and confided in one of his dear friends, Gordon Parks. Their last words were Malcolm informing Gordon that Elijah Muhammad was out to get him and that, “only another Muslim could protect you from a Muslim,” (Parks 34). It wasn’t long before Malcolm was swiftly killed while preaching in a seminar by several young Muslim men. Authorities attempted to link the murder to the Nation of Islam, as the feud was public knowledge, but were unsuccessful in their attempts. Malcolm X died a man betrayed by those he had dedicated his life to helping.

     Malcolm X was, without question, the biggest force for change regarding the black populace of America. He raised the awareness of many African-Americans to the issues at hand, and unlike any other person, offered a solution.  Though he left the world before his dreams were realized, the changes he effected will be attributed to him in the years to come. Today we practice equality among the races and religions with great success; no longer are the shackles of suppression implemented upon the African-Americans of the world. 

© 2008 GenMuffin7


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
Added on May 27, 2008
Last Updated on July 30, 2008

Author

GenMuffin7
GenMuffin7

Pleasanton, CA



About
high school junior. love to write, play all sports (esp soccer + football). more..

Writing