Her Reflection Speaks Volumes

Her Reflection Speaks Volumes

A Story by Genevieve
"

Part two of a writing exercise for a class I've recently taken.

"

“Dry your tears girl, you’ll be okay. A little patience and you’ll get through it. It’ll be okay.” It’s something she does when fear forces her to hide away. The deserted third floor girl’s bathroom her preferred hiding spot of the moment. Before her, the heartbroken reflection in the mirror swipes a sleeve across its cheeks and tries to force a smile that is clearly out of place. She’s scared they might have followed her, taunts and jeers still clearly ringing in her ears. Did she fake it well enough? It’s just so damned hard to tell, so difficult to know if the act was good enough. Did she manage to hide the loneliness? A faint giggle out in the hallway has her heart nearly jumping right out of her chest. “I just want to be left alone.” The reflection whispers into the unknown. On a good day she’d just up and leave. One foot after the other she’d walk right through the door, down the hall and out of the school too stubborn to endure even just one more moment of uncertainty. Today is not a good day though so instead she dives for the nearest stall, locks the door and climbs onto the seat. If someone does happen upon her unlikely sanctuary they won’t see her feet under the door. No one thinks twice about a closed bathroom door, right? It’s probably just another broken or clogged toilet. Her breakfast starts to inch its way up past her pounding heart and into her throat as she waits. “Don’t worry, they’re just passing by.” She whispers a little frantically to the reflection that waits on the opposite side of the dented metal door. “It’ll get better girl, life will be beautiful one day.” She hopes her reflection is right.  

© 2011 Genevieve


Author's Note

Genevieve
The exercise called for 20 words (either describing or communicating a creative throught of my choice) to be used first in a poem of 16 lines or less and then in a short story of 300 words or less. The first part is here: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Genevieve/791088/
My questions to you are as follows:
What do you think might be the creative thought behind this piece?
What did you like/dislike about it?
Did anything in particular capture your attention? Either negatively or positively, I'm open to constructive criticism.
Which form of writing did you prefer?
Thanks for reading and taking the time to review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

334 Views
Added on September 5, 2011
Last Updated on September 5, 2011

Author

Genevieve
Genevieve

Canada



Writing
Revelation Revelation

A Chapter by Genevieve