I Am an American Too

I Am an American Too

A Story by GLadiz
"

First Draft. Story about a Muslim trying to get used to societies views on her.

"

“Go back to your country!” a woman shouted. I glanced back, shocked and I saw her there. She was looking at me with anger and disgust as if I was doing her wrong but all I did was happen to be at the same place, at the same time she was. Little she knew that just because I wore a hijab did not mean I was not an American. I continued to exit the food mart I did not want to cause a scene. As for me comments like this were typical and I had learnt to keep moving to avoid any problems.

Once when I was ordering pizza the cashier made fun of me in Spanish to his coworker because he thought that because I was Muslim meant that I was middle eastern therefore I did not understand Spanish. Boy, he was wrong.

“Look at her she looks like a giraffe,” he laughed.

I did not order and went straight to the manager to report him.

I converted from a Catholic to a Muslim back in 2000. After 9/11 happened the insults only became worse. Now I was not just a giraffe now I was a terrorist. These past years have been very different although I am still the same person I’ve always been. Before I was able to walk the streets without fear. Now every time I go out it is like I’m some kind of savage with a spotlight.

I was walking around the aisles doing my grocery shopping just like every other normal human being. I had my baby in the stroller sleeping when a woman came up to me.

“Is that a real baby or a bomb?” she asked. Another customer overheard.

“She is a terrorist don’t tell her anything before she kills you,” she added.

I soon began to feel all eyes on my stroller and I felt like my baby was now in danger. I left all my items and left the store.

What makes it even more challenging is that even my own family members see me as someone else. They don’t see me; they see my hijab. Family members stopped calling, I became an outcast and when did talk to me all they would talk about is why am I wearing this? Why are you wearing right now if we already know how you look? It hurts more when it comes from family because you expect family to understand.

I began to feel ashamed of who I was. I stopped going out as much and when I did I would wear hats to hide my hijab. It was like the words that people used to describe me were becoming part of my identity and it made me upset. People see what they want to see, was something I learned throughout the years though. I’ve been called a numerous of insulting words and all I’ve wanted people to know is that I am an American. Just like you.

 

© 2016 GLadiz


Author's Note

GLadiz
This is based off events that have happen to my mother. I'd love all feedback, keep in mine it is a first draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on March 2, 2016
Last Updated on March 2, 2016
Tags: religion, Muslim, hijab, American

Author

GLadiz
GLadiz

Chicago, IL



About
21. Artist. Photographer. Writer. Dreamer. There is beauty in everything even in the scars that we carry. more..

Writing
Spaghetti Sauce Spaghetti Sauce

A Story by GLadiz