Doctor Who - The Eighth Doctor's Last Stand

Doctor Who - The Eighth Doctor's Last Stand

A Story by GibbyBlogger
"

How I've always imagined the end of the Time War - the Eighth Doctor's final battle.

"

His mind wandered as the palm of his hand hovered over the big red button. What was he doing? Did he have the right to do this? Was the act he was about to commit worse than the never-ending war they were fighting?


He thought back to all the lives that had been lost, the planets that had been obliterated, species that had been wiped out - the trail of devastation which had been left in their wake. The horrors of war which have scarred him for life. The universe couldn't survive this. And that was the choice he had to make: Gallifrey... or the universe.


He had counted each and every one of them; the children of Gallifrey. 2.47 billion. That number was always on his mind. Could he really do this? Could he kill 2.47 billion innocent children?


He'd left them a warning - the Daleks and the Time Lords. They knew what he was planning to do. What would they be doing now?, he thought. Would they be running scared? Would they be coming after him?


He had presented them with a clear message: NO MORE. He'd had enough. This couldn't continue. Only hours earlier, he'd witnessed the destruction of Arcadia, Gallifrey's second city. That was the last straw. This war must end.


His mind returned to his current position. One push, that's all it would take. One push, and it was all over. Except it wasn't as easy as that.


She stood there, silently judging him. The blonde woman. She called herself "Bad Wolf". Said she was a face from his past, or possibly his future. He didn't recognise her, so he guessed the latter.


'Stop it! Stop looking at me like that!' he said, almost muted.


'You can't go through with it, can you? I don't blame you. Who in their right mind could?' she sympathised.


'Shut up, shut up! You have no idea of things I've seen!'


'I can see, just by the look on your face. You look... haunted.'


'You would be too if you'd have lived through it.'


She ignored his last remark.


'Why you?'


'I'm sorry?' he replied, with a slight hint of frustration.


'Why do you have to end it?'


'I've been asking myself that very same question. I still don't know the answer.'


'I do.'


'How? How can you possibly know?' he demanded.


'Because I've seen it. I've seen the future. You saw your future. The man who regrets and the man who forgets.'


'And what wonderful men I turn out to be,' he expressed a small smile on his face.


'Exactly. They were born from you. This, this is what makes them who they are. You may think you've forgotten, but deep down you know who you are.'


'And who am I? Hmm? Come on, god of all knowledge. You know so much, you tell me who I am.' His hand began to shake.


'You're the Doctor.'


'I lost that title a very long time ago,' he declared, adamant.


'You can change your name all you want, but you will never change who you are. And that is why you feel that you have to do this.'


'I don't understand.'


'You're their protector,' she came in close, took hold of his free hand, nice and tight.


'What?'


'Well, you save them all the time. Every planet, every star.' She turns to face him. 'You are the world's protector; their saviour. That's how you live your life. But you can't save them all.'


She followed his eyes back to the wooden box in front of them.


'I need to do this!'


'Maybe you do. But that's not the question I'm asking. Killer... or coward. Choice is yours.'


With that, she stood back and left him to make up his mind. He looked almost resentful. There were now tears forming in the corners of his eyes. One managed to escape and rolled down his cheek.


He let his mind wander once more, but this time he thought about his past. He pictured his most recent companions: Charley, C'rizz, Lucie, Tamsin, Molly. He revisited Romana, Leela and K-9, fighting for their lives. He saw Susan, how happy she was - Alex stood next to her. He smiled. The Doctor smiled back.


They faded away.


There was another face: a young woman. Long, wavy black hair, sparkling blue eyes, fair skin. Tears rolled down her cheeks, yet she was smiling. She nodded.


He came back conscious, sighed deeply. Straight-faced. He'd made his decision.


'I'm sorry...'


He pressed down hard on the big red button in front of him. He squeezed his eyes shut tight. Waited for the end.


Nothing happened at first. Just silence. One last thought - killer. He pictured the children again - killer. The innocent, running scared - killer. That's when he'd heard them.


'DOC-TOR... DOC-TOR... DOC-TOR...'


His eyes loosened. The realisation hit him. They were screaming his name - killer. They got louder. The room began to shake. No, not just the room - the whole planet. Violently, like an earthquake - killer.


Gallifrey falls.


He remembered the promise he had made to himself: Never cruel or cowardly. Never give up, never give in.


His eyes shot open: 'What have I done? What have I done!?'


Anything still standing began to crumble, including the barn he was currently inhabiting. He escaped to the safety of the TARDIS and left, just as the roof caved in.


He could still hear them - the sound of dread, pain and hopelessness. They filled his head. They were dying and the whole world was screaming his name.


'Stop! Please, stop it! I can't go on!' He pleaded with them. 'Spare me! Spare me this pain!'


He threw himself at the console. Trying to escape the consequences of his actions.


'DOC-TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRR...'


The planet erupted, exploded into a blinding white light. The ricochet was felt throughout time and space. The most almighty rumble. Anything within a 500 mile radius obliterated.


The TARDIS was hit and thrown off-course. It span out of control. Inside, the console sparked. The room was ablaze. The Doctor collapsed to his knees.


'Who am I? Who... am... I..!?'


He understood: this was his punishment. To survive, to live, to regret. To spend the rest of his lives, carrying the weight of 2.47 billion innocent children. The last of the Time Lords.


The golden light began to envelop his face and limbs. This was his chance, he thought. He could start afresh, make things right. He could become the Doctor once more, the universe's protector.


He pushed the energy out, almost forcing the change. The light grew brighter, changing colour, now a blinding white.


'Physician, heal thyself.'


He erupted, crippling with pain, screaming in agony - just as his victims had.


The room was now completely destroyed, with only the console left standing, just.


He awoke, now with a new face. He lifted his head, looked at his hands, brand new. He was full of remorse still, but he smiled.


'Fantastic!' he elated.


The TARDIS rocked. He jumped up and took control once again. He knew the one place he wanted to be at that moment. The only place on his mind. The little blue planet. Earth - his sanctuary, his home.

© 2014 GibbyBlogger


Author's Note

GibbyBlogger
An alternative view on the destruction of Gallifrey. No warrior incarnation, just the very capable Eighth Doctor.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

443 Views
Added on January 26, 2014
Last Updated on February 4, 2014
Tags: Doctor Who, Eighth Doctor, Time War, Regeneration

Author

GibbyBlogger
GibbyBlogger

United Kingdom



About
Huge fan of sci-fi television series "Doctor Who" and writer of fan-fiction, following the alternative life of the Doctor. more..

Writing