old fashioned

old fashioned

A Poem by David McNeeley

Call me old fashioned or naive, but I like Old Time Radio Shows and Black and White movies. There's something so honest and true about that old school entertainment. Something that lacks the noise and chaos of today's modern color and video based showbiz. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes what we think is limited contains more power, more substance, more unknown strength than any complexity could possibly show. There are many things in this world I love, but also many I could do without. I know my upbringing influences my opinion, but if anyone were to just give those old things a chance they would see the beauty. Sure there were flaws in that ancient and powerful world, but what world doesn't. There are many who claim there is more to the new, there is no hope to examine the past, the past is blind to all but itself, but I tell you once the past was new, and shined as brightly as any tiny glowing screen. We get so caught up in our desire for happiness that we forget the important things. We forget  that once man reached for the stars, not just in his actions and sciences but with his heart and soul, with his song. There was a time when men were more manly, and women more womenly. The past had a desire, a fire, an energy that pushed it's way to the top, that made men get up and do things. So I put to you that we must not only look to the past for what we have lost, because if we sit staring at the ash and ruin for too long we become sedentary, but we also must learn and find inspiration in the past. I have dug into ancient texts and scrolls countless times, emerging from the dust triumphant on each occassion, my head brimming with forgotten knowledge and my heart full of hope for what I could do with this power. I wonder often if there were ever more like me and if we ever decided to get together? What would be the result of that union? Would we make a difference or sit a around and jabbber on about how much we miss yesterday? I hope the first, but this contemplation must come to an endand so here I go. I like to laugh and be entertained as much as anybody else, but I feel there is no purpose in being entertained wihtout learning. Sure, not every experience has a lesson, and there is time for mindless fun, but we must learn and grow and extrapolate if we as a race, as a  people are ever to reach the stars.

© 2014 David McNeeley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on November 28, 2014
Last Updated on November 28, 2014

Author

David McNeeley
David McNeeley

La Crosse, WI



About
I started writing around Middle School, right about the time I started noticing girls, but as time has progressed I feel my writing has flowed into other areas as well. I wish to hear Feedback on my w.. more..

Writing
Sing Sing

A Poem by David McNeeley