As Time Fades

As Time Fades

A Story by Goku
"

It’s a story about love and loss. A young girl has to accept her enivetable death at an early age.

"
As Time Fades
We were just kids when I was diagnosed, I remember the first day i found out. I was scared and cried knowing I didn’t have much longer to live. “Amy, lets go outside and play” said Kite, with a frown on my face I always went. We would play hide and seek and he always used to find me. I always used to hide behind the same tree because I found it to be pretty. We always used to go to a specific place where there was a beautiful patch on grass and a beautiful lake. “Lets go Amy, lets go swimming” is what he used to say everytime we used to go there. I thought it was very sweet of him for always trying to keep me in a positive mood despite my illness.

Seven years later, we are in high school and are planning our futures that are to come. I don't plan it because I know I’m not going to make it that long. “Amy Amy, lets go to the carnival today” said an excited Kite. I said “no another day perhaps” then asked him if he wanted to walk home together like we always do. He looked slightly disappointed but I know he understands why I gave him that answer. Since I felt guilty for ruining his mood I asked him to come over to my house, to which he quickly nodded his head with a grin on his face and said “r-really? I could?”. When we arrived at my house we said hello to my mom and went straight to my room. He has rarely been in here, the last time he was here if I recall correctly was when he was eight. The age I got diagnosed with an unknown disease that limits your lifespan to the age of eighteen. Like always he went to play on my playbox, he played dying zombie while I watched him. After a while I asked if he wanted to play a co-op game. He was all for the idea and he picked gun combat. I don’t like violence, I only had the game because my big brother likes to play it. He ended up beating me in every round and we would laugh it off after every game. As it started getting dark he was getting ready to head home. My mom then came upstairs and said “ Kite, why don’t you stay over for the night?” He lived right beside us so I don’t think his parents would mind. My mom then continued “I’ve talked with your mom and she’s ok with it” Kite then got a very happy expression on his face and said “yes please”

The next day, we got ready and headed to school. On the way, we stopped at the tree again because there was still some time left and started to admire the view of the lake. As time passed by, we started heading to school. Our first class was math, my strong suit. Kite was struggling with algebra so I helped him out, though some kids misunderstood the situation but that didn’t affect me and it didn’t seem to affect Kite either. After that we had japanese literature, which I’m not really good at so i’m not gonna go much into that. Those are the main 2 classes, the others are electives at my school. I took history and art. At the end of the school day I walk home with Kite and do my homework. When I’m done my homework I typically eat dinner, talk with my family and then go to sleep. Sometimes Kite calls me when i’m asleep so I wake up and pick ups his calls. It’s usually about how much fun we had today. He doesn’t wanna admit it but he knows that I’m slowly dying. Im sure its hurting him on the inside as well.

As the days pass I just wonder when I’ll pass away. One day, Kite came over and said “ I’m here to talk seriously.” I wondered what he was talking about but then he continued talking “ I don’t want you to die but the way you’re living you’re practically dead.” “Come on, lets enjoy our lives, we only get one and even if it’s cut short you gotta live a life you won’t regret.” It was at that moment that I felt he was putting a lot of emotion into his words. I hesitated for a sec but agreed. I told him that from now on I’m gonna have fun and make this life memorable. The next day we went to the carnival he was very keen on going to. I saw a lot of different rides and a lot of different kind of food. I especially liked the coloured cotton. The ride I liked the most was the ferris wheel. It gave a very beautiful view, i almost started crying due to the stunning view. It was getting late so we started heading home and this time I asked him if I could sleep over. He was ok with the idea, I then asked my mom who was also ok. We played on his pc, i liked the game called cats playing around. It had very cute characters, he liked to play a game called kill it 2. I even heard him complain on how there is not gonna be a kill it 3, it was very funny.

The next day was a day off from school so we decided to go back to the tree and the lake. We sat down and talked about how life was going. All of a sudden he brought the subject of my lifespan up. He said “So, you only got 3 years to live, I hate the fact that you’ve been to 15 doctors and they all said that it’s inevitable.” I replied with “Well, I guess that’s what god had planned for me and i gotta accept my fate.” Suddenly I felt my heart beating faster, the doctors told me if I ever experienced this it would mean the end of my life is near. I said to Kite “No matter what happens do know were friends forever and while death may do us apart we will be in each others hearts forever.” He asked “Why are you saying that? Are you feeling ok?” I smiled and nodded. I changed the topic and started talking about our childhood.

“Remember when we were 5 and we used to fool around so much that our parents used to go crazy trying to stop us?” He said “Yes, I remember it like it was yesterday.” We were 5 years old at the time and we were playing tag. He slipped and accidentally broke the vase. His mama got very angry but forgave him as she believed that kids don’t know better. I always felt an uneasiness in my body but i always disregarded it thinking it will stop by itself. A year later, we were starting to understand responsibility and respect. I remember he always used to call everyone by the proper honorific. The first time he called me by my first name I was embarrassed but as life went on I got accustomed to it. I actually think it’s kinda cute he calls me by my first name instead of my last now. Then came the year we turned 7 years old, his older sister just got him his new gamestation. He was so excited because now whenever i was sick he had something he could do instead of being bored. The magical year was when we turned 8 and I first got diagnosed with the unknown disease. I cried for days on end when i found out i only got 10 more years to live on this planet. The first month I avoided school entirely. Then one day Kite came to my house with a joke book. He started telling me some jokes, at first i didn’t bat an eye but as the jokes went on I started to slowly smile and after a while I started to laugh. He really is there for me when I really need him. He’s always looking out for me and taking care of me. I can’t imagine what his life would be like without me. After that I regularly attended school and even started writing as a hobby. I wrote about how i feel and my experiences through this life.

Back to the current day, we are sitting at the lake. I said to him “ If i die tonight would you remember me ?” Surprisingly tears filled his eyes as he hugged me tightly and said “ please don’t leave me, you’re my only friend and I don’t want you to go” I simply patted his head and whispered in his ear “Remember for every dark night there’s a brighter day, even if I die today you have to keep moving on.” He kept crying so i suggested we play hide n seek to which he agreed. He started counting to ten whereas I hid in my usual spot. It didn’t take him long to find me and as soon as he found me he once again said “Please don’t leave me.” I went up to him and gave him a big hug to cheer him up. It started getting late so I suggested we walk home together. I wanted to walk with him one last time because I had a feeling in my heart that I won’t be able to see the day.

The next day, my mom told Kite to go on ahead and that I would follow behind him. Kite headed to school with a disappointment in his face. It was the 2nd period and I still didn’t show up. That’s when Kite got suspicious, he quickly ran out of the class and headed towards my house. As soon as he got to my house he saw it was unlocked so he came in. What he saw next made him cry. He saw my dead body covered in a white sheet. He said “W-why didn’t you tell me?” as he had tears all over his face while his face turned red. My mom said “I knew you would do something like this.” She pulled out my dairy with a rose and started walking towards Kite. She gave them to Kite and said “My daughter wanted you to have these” with tears dripping down her eyes. He opened the book and was surprised by the first sentence he read “I love you, Kite.” He then held the diary and the rose to his chest and said “I love you too.” He started having flashbacks of all of our time together. He remembered all the little details and wished I could come back. His mom and my mom told him that my wish was for him to be successful in life, something that I couldn’t become. He then stormed out and went to the tree saying “please come back, please come back.” When he arrived at the tree he said “I promise I will never let anything happen to this place.”

© 2019 Goku


Author's Note

Goku
I’m a new writer so I’m sorry about any errors. I currently don’t have any cover for this story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on February 4, 2019
Last Updated on February 4, 2019
Tags: Tragedy, sad

Author

Goku
Goku

Calgary , Canada