Letters

Letters

A Story by g. leonardo
"

Just felt the need to write again, partly to record these events that came to pass in recent years. Perhaps it will become something more. . . but for now, it's only for my own record.

"

l e t t e r s

the warmest embrace from across the sea .  .  .  

here they are before me now, the letters" they had floated about my days for long enough. some, like u, is bluer than the azure skies on a spring afternoon. some have spilled out like broken chains from between the pages of books which have become companions during such journeys when the roaring expanse to be traversed seemed to spring from within.
life unfolds to reveal new horizons, continents with each their own bold flavors, hymns and scents awaiting to be unlocked just across the dark waters. their salty bodies mirror a galactic system of lights swimming in the unconscious, conquering light years, all consisting of letters.   

i.

it seems like a lifetime ago when i made my trip to europe during the winter of last year, a bitter sweet experience for all that it would come to represent. paris was beautiful, appearing even more brilliant than in the soaring stories of old books, and more alive, with the cheer of christmas draped all around the city. even in the dark places, where the souls of drunkards ignited in merrymaking, the roofs of the underground vibrated more furiously, and flooded our skulls with a bright chorus of amber bells. even in the wee hours during the drunken walk home, when the beat of our boots resounded louder upon the cobblestones, there shone before me a vision of paris that continue to elude the grasp of many and in whose eyes burned blue the memories of countless incarnations that we have walked hand in hand. 

a lifetime ago in the city of light with the one i love, i kept a golden coin close to my chest. depicted on its reverse were the cavernous arches of the cathedral of notre dame along which have streamed the crowns of nameless pilgrims, and where houkei and i had sparked a light of our own, and sighed a prayer upon a candle’s flame. the adventure burned brightly even as i had closed my eyes. the heavenly connections pulsated with life’s mysterious force like the warmth reflected on the faces of those i love, and i beamed a smile to the great god’s eye that has blazed above and has borne witness to it all. as such, the ancient fire shall continue to burn, forever the watcher, and will see everything disappear in time, as with the life of a candle’s flame. i left paris with that understanding, on a train to germany with houkei. days later, we would say farewell to each other in frankfurt, and to that phase of in our lives when we had given the impossible a whirl.

© 2012 g. leonardo


Author's Note

g. leonardo
Will add more text, edit soon as time allows to write again.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I’m not sure I understand what you are shooting for in this piece but I enjoyed the journey. It could be my age? Younger people in this day in age confuse me at times. You are a writer, no doubt about it! I’ll look forward to a more complete work when you get to it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


g. leonardo

11 Years Ago

Glad you did, Paul. I don't think it's our gap in age at all-- I tend to be very abstract at times. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
1 Review
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012
Tags: letters, waves, blue, dreams, lifetimes, light

Author

g. leonardo
g. leonardo

Los Angeles, CA



About
I call myself a writer only reluctantly . . . seems like a ton of conceit attached to the word, when, in truth, anybody can be a writer who has a high tolerance for suffering-- writing is a solitary v.. more..