Catching Snowflakes

Catching Snowflakes

A Story by Liam Daniels

It’s a chilly December afternoon as I meander down the bike path. It’s an overcast day with some snow flurries here and there, but I decided to take a walk anyway. I usually take walks to clear my head and get my thoughts in order, but today is different. Today I’m walking for the memories.

It was a dreary and cold day, much like this one. When the dismissal bell rang, I gathered up my stuff and made my way to your locker. Even in the crowed hall, I could pick you out. With your smooth black hair, red cardigan and beat up Converse, you looked just as beautiful as ever. You were busy getting things off of the top shelf in your locker, so I snuck up behind you and slid my arms around your waist.

“Hi, honey,” I said, nuzzling into your neck.

“Hey, baby. How are you?” you responded as you planted a peck on my cheek.

“I’m freaking beat. How are you?”

“I am too. I had a surprise French test today, so I’m pretty sure I failed that.”

As you continued to rant about your French grade, I was soaking up every detail I could about you. Your dark brown eyes, the little scar on your forehead, the LEGO necklace I got you for Christmas, your hand motions when you talk. Everything. I couldn’t help but grin at the sight of you.

“What?” you grinned back.

“Nothing. I just really love you.”

“Well, I love you too.”

We walked out of the school hand-in-hand, and started the trek to your house. It wasn’t far, but it was all up hill. When we made it to the crest of the first hill, a light snow started to fall. I didn’t think much of it until you shouted:

“Leeyum! Look!”

What? It’s just snow. We live in Maine. This is normal. Even though we get snow at least once a week during the winter, you were still excited. You began to try to catch falling snowflakes on your tongue and I soon joined in. We were awful at it, but we didn’t care. We laughed when we’d miss and cheer when we didn’t. Eventually, we made it to your front door giggling like children.

Now I’m here. Walking alone and wondering where things went south. As a dusting of snow begins to fall, more and more memories flood my thoughts. Getting my foot stuck at the park, surprising you with silly little gifts, you laughing at my awful Vietnamese, playing Kirby with you. What we had was beautiful - perfect even. People say that things get easier with time, and maybe they’re right. But when you’re alone and remembering when you were happy, time slows to a crawl. A crawl that seems to last eons.

© 2014 Liam Daniels


Author's Note

Liam Daniels
I had trouble beginning and ending the story, so go easy. Any grammatical changes needed?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

No changes needed, this is another wonderful story in my eyes :) Winter is such a lovely season, yet it brings so much heartache and grief at the same time...the only season that seems to have that power. I always try to catch snowflakes on my tongue and I love the sight of freshly fallen snow also. It being so white, innocent and untouched. Seeing the snow cover the free branches. It's such a beautiful, yet terrible season in itself. Some things just aren't meant to be...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is amazing! I think that many people could relate to this story in some way (it did to me!). I also like that even tough it's a short story, the emotions are very well transmitted :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

No changes needed, this is another wonderful story in my eyes :) Winter is such a lovely season, yet it brings so much heartache and grief at the same time...the only season that seems to have that power. I always try to catch snowflakes on my tongue and I love the sight of freshly fallen snow also. It being so white, innocent and untouched. Seeing the snow cover the free branches. It's such a beautiful, yet terrible season in itself. Some things just aren't meant to be...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 13, 2014
Last Updated on April 13, 2014
Tags: winter, snow, love, lonely

Author

Liam Daniels
Liam Daniels

ME



About
Hey! My name is Liam. I'm 16 and I come from a small town in Northern Maine. I enjoy cats, music, video games, cooking, and pretty much everything else this world has to offer! more..

Writing