Do I Belong in Heaven

Do I Belong in Heaven

A Story by Gr8ChairmanMeow
"

A vampire doctor and a priest converse.

"
"Early morning, doctor?"

The huddled mass sleeping on a church pew trembles and the doctor sits up, wiping the remnants of blood wine from his lips.

He chuckles. "...late night." In the dim light of prayer candles, the doctor adjusts his cuffs and collar, composing himself. "I...I lost another." The faint signs of a grimace furl the corners of his eyes and he looks away.

Padre Carlos pauses his early morning duties and takes a seat next to the faithful member of his congregation. "You did what you could, Guillermo. Even Gotz couldn't save everyone."

Guillermo sighs and shakes his head, looking up at the statue of Christ above the altar and then down at the Gotzian prayer beads gripped tightly in his fist. "And yet I wish I could've done more." He closes his eyes and smiles sadly. "It doesn't get any easier to tell a parent you lost their child in surgery."

Padre Carlos pats Guillermo on the shoulder and gets up to make his way to the candles. "As Gotz would say, sometimes all we can do is pray."

Guillermo chuckles and thumbs through the prayer beads tenderly. "St. Xavier Gotz...the vampire saint...if it wasn't for him and Vicente, I wouldn't believe any of this church crap."

Padre Carlos laughs heartily and walks back to the pew to offer Guillermo a lighting stick. "I'm sure both Gotz and your brother are looking down on us now." He smiles.

Guillermo smiles back and accepts, getting up to join Padre Carlos at the candle rack. He pauses for a moment and stares at the flickering lights. "Do you really think the Lord has decided to let the Damned enter heaven?"

Padre Carlos nods and casually offers Guillermo a fresh candle. "If you live a good life and seek the truth of Christ's teachings, the Lord will welcome any with open arms--even a vampire."

Guillermo smiles at the thought and lights the stick, closing his eyes to say a prayer. When finished, he lights the candle and places it carefully next to dozens of others. "You don't have to keep relighting them, you know."

The aging priest shrugs and grins empathetically. "I know what they mean to you."

The doctor sighs and continues to stare at the candles, suppressing tears. "I...I sincerely hope that when the Lord sees it fit to end this long life, I will see them all again and they will accept my apology."

Padre Carlos offers his hand and Guillermo shakes it.

"You're a good man, Guillermo, and an excellent doctor."

Guillermo smiles and nods. "Thank you, Padre."

"Will you be joining us at mass today?" Padre Carlos offers the doctor the top hat he had dropped.

"Unfortunately, I won't be." Guillermo places the hat on his head and stands straight. "I have a patient scheduled for surgery this afternoon. A little girl with an aggressive brain tumor."

The priest nods in understanding. "Tomorrow then?"

The doctor chuckles. "Yes, tomorrow then--hopefully to give praise and thanks. I'd hate to use up all your candles."

The priest waves him off and walks with him to the entrance. "You can use as many as you need, Guillermo, but I'm confident you won't be needing too many."

The doctor bows respectfully at the entryway and genuflect towards the altar. "God bless, Padre."

"God bless, doctor."

Guillermo heads on his way.

© 2017 Gr8ChairmanMeow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on June 6, 2017
Last Updated on June 6, 2017
Tags: vampire, priest, church, catholic, saint, heaven, blood, redemption

Author

Gr8ChairmanMeow
Gr8ChairmanMeow

Los Angeles, CA



About
Sometimes I write, sometimes I don't. Here to write more! more..