Nuuk and Maarit:  Episode One - Blue

Nuuk and Maarit: Episode One - Blue

A Story by Graham Maremma Cleary
"

Nuuk is lost. Separated from his pod finds he is breaking through the ice of the northeast tides of the Gulf of Bothnia near the town of Oulu. Here Nuuk finds what he needs to get home.

"

Blue

“What is your name?”


“I am a girl,” brightly proud. “And I like to eat fish soup. What are you?” A child's harmless question.


“I'm lost from the sea,” lolling lightly with the buoyant saltiness of the thick fractured marine.

Shifting for comfort, soles of her knee-high skin boots crunching and shaping white crystals, “Do you know any songs?”


But the crack and split thunder of breaking ice interrupted, plates and saucers smacking the hardwood surface of the Scots Pine table.


“Soon she'll be calling, I don't want you to go.” Concern and conflict replacing her joy.


“Go there it is time and I will come back to you soon.” With that the strange creature slipped from the surface and back into the sea.


“Maarit, please come down, dinner is warm and it's just on the table." Maarit's mother calling.


Passing around the planed edge and wide swing of her bedroom door the savory sensation of rye and rice from karjalan pies met Maarit's nose. Descending a crooked stair, thoughts no more about her new friend, her mother gathering Maarit's tiny fingers in the palm of her hand, heading to the wide-open warmth of the dining space. Helping Maarit onto the hard cushion of a high-back wooden chair,


“Oh little girl your hands are ice, how is that?”


“My new friend, he is waiting for me and he can't find his home.”


“Your friend must be blue?” spoken with a smile in her eyes.


“Yes, well I think so, no, I don't know,” looking thoughtfully now at the smooth creamy potato and fish swirls in her bowl.


“Does your friend have a name?” Dropping her head to meet Maarit eye to eye.


“I think he is a fish or maybe from space?”


“Well that's very nice, maybe you can take him some pie when we are done with the dishes?”


*****

With bed-time upon her, stepping high and back up the same crooked stair that leads to and from her bedroom.


“Oh no, you are really gone,” the whispering sigh of a child's disappointment and putting the pie on her lonely nightstand.

*****

Orange and blue bands of the warm woolen raanu tucked up under her chin, staring at the ceiling that she could see right through to that place, Maarit lay wondering what worlds lay beyond the sea and within the stars and not knowing his name,


“I will call you Nuuk,” and that made her smile.


This time she wore big-fat red woolen mittens so her mother would not know and from the edge of the hole that had formed in the ice she observed him approaching displacing the slush. Rolling right over onto his left-side showing grey spots and a depth to his black-eye.


“It's time for me to leave the lapland and search for my home.”


Maarit, closing her eyes tight, sealing the little girl's wish beyond doubt, “Oh please take me with you I'm going me too!”

© 2017 Graham Maremma Cleary


Author's Note

Graham Maremma Cleary
I would love to hear what you think. I'm trying to establish a rhythm and voice (hard to describe other than that). This is something I am trying out for fun to see where it goes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Each sentence is beautiful but they dont slip into each other. There is a rhythem within each block but I had a hard following as between each sentence it felt like a chop. You can write and I think this idea should be continued as there is talent in the words and crafting. Too often we may say" hey this is great" to be nice but I really see talent here I would just work on making it smoother as one piece.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Each sentence is beautiful but they dont slip into each other. There is a rhythem within each block but I had a hard following as between each sentence it felt like a chop. You can write and I think this idea should be continued as there is talent in the words and crafting. Too often we may say" hey this is great" to be nice but I really see talent here I would just work on making it smoother as one piece.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
1 Review
Added on September 12, 2017
Last Updated on September 12, 2017
Tags: Narwhal, Oulu, Children's, Fantasy, Fiction

Author

Graham Maremma Cleary
Graham Maremma Cleary

Everett, WA



About
I am a British writer born in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. I focus on Fantasy and Science Fiction,but love all aspects of the written word and its formats. I write a short story blog ~Tales of Fantasy .. more..

Writing