Isolation Demystified

Isolation Demystified

A Story by Dai Hanshou
"

I'm confused.

"
Finally a vacation; Ren was more than glad he'd get to spend some time alone. He had planned lavishly for the weekend"a secluded manor in the country side. The venue couldn't be better for his sojourn.
And now, he stood before the off-white manor, his baggage at his side. Striding in with anticipation, Ren thought about Ava, his unrequited love. This was quite the right thing to do to get rid of his feelings"but he somehow doubted he would. The inside of the massive architecture was stark white, the hall as empty as he'd imagined. Suddenly, a small frame appeared at the far corner, where"to Ren's assumption"the kitchen was situation.

"Welcome, young man," it was a woman. Her hair long, cladded casually"her age he quite couldn't place.

"Do you own this place?" Ren regarded the draping dark curtains and the huge windows.

The woman gave a wry smile, "No, I look after this place."

"Interesting," he strutted further in and stopped when a brunette standing at the top of the staircase caught his attention. Her beguiling dark brown orbs reminded Ren of Ava; but that was as far as the similarities went.

"Oh, that's my daughter, Dolores." The older woman offered, earning a slight nod. So, this place isn't as isolated as I thought.


That night, Ren learned Dolores's mother's name was Beatrice and that the two had found this manor. After they'd decided to look after the vicinity, they had been living here since. He dined with Dolores as her mother served. With a content stomach, the two gathered in the living room.

"It's nice to have a company every now and then," Dolores stated.
Ren gave her a funny look. "Every now and then?"

"I mean, my mother sometimes spends time with me, but she usually sleeps in early like you've seen today."

Silence followed as Ren hadn't responded. The ring of the said man's phone pierced the serene air.

"I've got to get this," he excused himself, receiving a blank stare. "Ava," he said pleasantly, basking in the moonlight in the balcony, "how are you doing?"

"Where are you?" the woman demanded. "I thought I'd get some time with you to discuss about the case."

The hardcore workaholic, Ren silently shook his head"smiling.
"Ren?"
"I'm in the countryside, staying in a manor. I'll be there on Monday."

"There's no need," Ava's voice was lilting, "I'm on my way. Care to give me the directions?"

Knowing the police officer for nearly five years, Ren mentally sighed in defeat. She's going to be the death of me. He told her what she'd demanded.

Chuckling to himself as the call ended, he turned around only to find Dolores standing there with a steely countenance.

"Is something the matter?" Ren asked in unfeigned curiosity.

"I"no, it's late. We should be going to bed," something about Dolores's tone was suspicious.

"Ah," the man said, "a friend of mine is coming here. She"" Ren's mind triggered how crazily Ava drove at night, ""will be here any minute in an hour."

"I see," the woman intoned. "Good night, then."

"Good night, Dolores."
Ren watched her climb up the staircase and quietly followed her. He didn't know why, but his instinct told him to. He stalked behind and saw Dolores turn around to see if anyone was in sight; she'd stopped in front of an old thick-wooden door that was padlocked. Procuring a key from within her dress, she unlocked it as quietly as she could. Ren followed her in as she'd left the door open. What lay inside couldn't be seen for the spider webs; he peeked further in to have a clear view and his eyes widened as a result. Dolores was hanging from the ceiling. Did she just...?!
But before he took another step forward and speak, he saw the same Dolores walk up to the woman who was hanging from the ceiling with a thick rope around her neck. Why was there two of them? More importantly, why was someone hanging to begin with?! Which one was Dolores? Were they twins? The dead eyes stared at Dolores as she smiled. "I'm pissed. Shall we have some fun?" the brunette mused, sliding her slender fingers across the steel of a dagger. Then what Dolores did was gruesome"a sadistic look on her face.

"That's my daughter there"Dolores," an inflectionless voice said, startling Ren. His heart thumped in fear; next to him stood the old woman. Who were these people?

"Then why is she""

"No, the dead one," the old woman's face wrinkled, earning an aghast look. Trying his best not to stutter, Ren inquired, "If that one is named Dolores, what is the other one's name?"

"Ren!" Ava's voice stopped everything, Dolores turned her head and stared at Ren wide-eyed. He could hear Ava's footsteps as the old woman looked at her dead daughter emotionlessly. "Just know that my daughter is alive."

Everything blurred out, having too much to take. Ren's mind went numb and the last thing he'd heard was his name in his beloved Ava's voice.

© 2014 Dai Hanshou


Author's Note

Dai Hanshou
This needs some editing, but ohh well.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Woaaaaaaaaah O.O !!!!!! That is so amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


ohmygosh, that was just...

AWESOME.

I already want more, explanations, back-stories, ALL OF IT.
This has so much potential, I'd love to read more!
Like you said, it needs some editing, but that is it's only downside I can see.
Awesome work, Dai!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2014
Last Updated on February 11, 2014
Tags: mystery, fiction, short story

Author

Dai Hanshou
Dai Hanshou

Why, can you find me?



About
I finally got around to write something expedient about me. I'm an anachronist with grey views, in the process of learning - like everyone else. I amateurishly write to express myself, but I'm appa.. more..

Writing
Loss Loss

A Story by Dai Hanshou