What would you do if you could travel back in time?

What would you do if you could travel back in time?

A Story by Ray Terry
"

What would you do if you could travel back in time?

"

That is an interesting question.  What would I do?  Well I know what I would do.  I would go back in time and change what happens in my life.  I think I would actually go all the way back to elementary school and change things.  I would write out everything that has happened to me and go back and convince my parents of who I am and tell them first what has happened, and then give them the document so they can read it for themselves and change what happens to me.  Then maybe I would not be so screwed up in the head and hate myself so much.  I would not suffer with depression; I would have a mother who actually cares that I am doing something I LOVE instead of doing something that makes more money than they did.

If that does not work, then I would go back to when I am in junior high school and start from that point.  Then I could approach myself directly, bypassing my parents altogether.  Then I would have a better life and not hate myself like I do now.  I would not cause anyone pain or sorrow. I would be more communicative, more outgoing, and a better person.  I would make sure that I would be a better husband, father, and general good person all around.  But If my younger self would not listen, then I will have to try my older self in high school.  That version of me would be more amenable to listening and understanding what has happened and what might happen if things do not change.

If that does not work, then it would be time to hit the big reset button.  Go all the way back to when my parents met.  I would stop them from meeting somehow and erase my entire existence.  To keep from everything happening that has gone wrong in my life, I would do that.  That would be the final solution.  Most people say that suicide is the final solution, but they are wrong.  It is a solution, but not the final solution.  To me it is a stop-gap measure because your soul or essence will be in Limbo for what you have done.  It may seem crazy, but if you look at it from a completely religious aspect, your soul either will go to heaven or hell according to the bible.  Now if you commit suicide, most religions count it as a sin as well.

But time travel is just a fantasy right now.  It is something to read about in H.G. Wells’s books or to watch the British TV show “Dr. Who” about a time traveling alien who solves people’s problems.  Well I would love for him to solve mine…or at least let me borrow his time machine.

© 2010 Ray Terry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Ray,
I understand and follow your story well. There are moments where I can identify as well. I appreciate your honesty and I believe that raw ability to tap into self and find humor and yet still convey truth is rare. I look forward to reading more of your writings.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
1 Review
Added on June 2, 2010
Last Updated on June 2, 2010

Author

Ray Terry
Ray Terry

Durham, NC



About
Who am I? That is a valid question. Well in a nutshell, I am an African American male, 43 years old, suffering from depression, fed up with how things have been recently, and feels that it is time.. more..