Day To Remember

Day To Remember

A Story by Fictionborn
"

When time teaches the patient man.

"

Thirty years the man had sat on that train. For seven days a week, all year through without missing a single ride. He watched the scenery that flashed by outside and watched the trees bloom and wither through summer and winter.

 

Every shop that passed was memorized by name in the exact order they appeared. Always took his place on the same worn seat, with the broken leather and awful creaking noise whenever you moved a muscle. He could close his eyes and count down to the exact moment the train would arrive at the next station.

 

He would leave the station and buy a coffee at the friendly man's shop opposite the park and watch the birds whistle their songs in the trees. Every day the man performed the same methodical actions. Every morning he watched the most beautiful woman on earth enter the same wagon as him.

 

How could a human being love something more than such beauty, he wondered.

 

Her golden hair fell down to her shoulders like stars showering down in the full moonlight. Her sparkling eyes enthralling him in a dream of heavenly joy. Her scent invoking his soul with a purpose of existence. Yet, never had he spoken to her in fear of what might happen. Never had he left his broken seat and sat beside her, but never was soon to change.

 

It was a cold December morning when Lewis stepped on to the train and took his place and stared out of the small window and looked at the trees. Every now and then he took a quick glimpse at the entrance before turning his head back to the window. Today he would stand up and walk over to her.

 

The angel entered the wagon with her large leather case in one hand and a newspaper in her other hand. She took a seat in front of him and dropped her baggage. His nostrils caught her smell and he almost forgot what he had instructed himself to do. His hands trembled lightly as nerves took over his mind and body.


The train shook into motion and the journey began. He waited several minutes, trying to calm himself down. He had rehearsed the conversation a great many times in his head, but all memories left him as he looked at her back. He would just have to stand up and make it happen.

 

He set one step in her direction and raised himself off the seat. Another step followed as he turned around to face her. He finished with a third step and set both of his feet firmly on the ground, pressed against one another, afraid he might fall over if he didn't. The woman turned her head towards him in a questioning look.

 

"Mind if I sit here?" Lewis managed to stumble.

 

The woman opened her mouth to answer his question, but no sound would ever leave her lips. An oil truck crashed into the side of the wagon and blew up in a massive burst of flames. Two arms embraced him as the flames engulfed them.

© 2013 Fictionborn


Author's Note

Fictionborn
Thank you for reading. Any and all comments are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on June 2, 2013
Last Updated on June 2, 2013

Author

Fictionborn
Fictionborn

About
I love fantasy.I love nonsense. I love the impossible. Whatever doesn't really happen in life is what I'm interested in. As a way of learning what does happen in life, because ultimately the only thin.. more..

Writing
Anamnesis Anamnesis

A Story by Fictionborn