Untitled Love Story

Untitled Love Story

A Story by Gypsy Leigh
"

1964, summer before senior year. All Elle Hansen wanted was a love like in a flick, but with her daddy's restraints and her new job at the resort, her love life was dead, until Peter Phenny.

"

Ch1:

My father always told me summer was about hard work and making money before school was in once again. Saving up for college and important investments, no time for friends, no time for love.  I always listened but never really did, I had everything I needed, everything I wanted, at least almost everything I wanted " except for the one thing he could not give me, only give me permission to find…

It was July 1st ’64 and I was 17 years old, the summer before senior year. No, no, I was not partying and having a blast and getting blitzed with my friends like the typical teenage girl; I Elle Hansen was back at the resort for the 15th summer in a row with my high strung daddy and my upscale mother. And, to top it all off, I wasn’t too jazzed about the fact that I was working there.

I had never worked a day in my life, I had never needed to. My father was the CEO of a mega corporation back in New York where we live, but I suppose he figured if he won’t let me near any men, I will never marry a rich man so I must learn to work for myself. I was bored out of my mind the second I stepped out of the hog and saw the cheaply painted white resort sign at the end of the main house driveway. I pulled my shades out of my hair and put them on foxily in case anyone was looking and to stay somewhat discreet. I took a deep breath in and started unloading my bags, and tuned out the obvious generation gap jive of my parents. All I had ever wanted was a love like a in a flick, but with my daddy’s restraints ‘round my ankles, I was never getting there.

 

Ch2:

                Our private cottage was located on the far side of the property and we were escorted there by some of the resort staff in a fancily decorated lawn buggy, well, as fancy as lawn buggies get. It took quite a few minutes to unload our bags from the back of the back of the buggy. You see, my father had a suitcase, I had a tote bag and my purse, but my mother, well she packed up all of Manhattan in there " she had always struggled with packing light for vacation. My first shift was starting at 3 and it was already 2:30 by the time we had everything unloaded, and it was a fair distance from our cottage to the main house so I left my parents to begin unpacking and began my trek across the daily groomed lawn. Don’t get me wrong, the resort was a beautiful place, everything was well kept, well except the signs of course which I could never understand, the staff were friendly and the beach was beautiful. It was my favorite place when I was young, and my parents and I always had a ball playing cricket and water polo at the beach, but when you’re 17 you just can’t get past the fact that the place is crawling with ankle biters and the drinking laws are strictly in place.

I arrived at the main house just around 3 O’clock, I didn’t have any clue what job I was doing, and for that matter was not even in uniform, but Mr. Langley, the resort owner, must have recognized me from earlier years visiting the resort with my parents because he dropped his conversation and came right over.

“Miss Hansen I presume?” He asked, nodded slightly and straightened his coat.

“Yes…” I peeped nearly silently, half in tune with the conversation.

“Greetings.” He said in a routine like fashion. “ You will love working here Miss Hansen, it is beautiful! Make sure to treat the guests like proper ladies and gentleman, and always provide them with whatever they need no matter what the cost!”

As he rambled on about my work duties I noticed a boy in the background mimicking him as he spoke. I giggled unnoticeably and tried to listen to what Mr. Langley had to say. Because in fact , the boy didn’t noticed me at all

“Miss Hansen, you will be working alongside Mr. Phenny.” He explained. “PHENNY!” He hollered for his attendance. And the boy who I had noticed peeked around the corner and slowly approached us.  “Miss Hansen, this is Peter Phenny, and he will be training you this summer. Introduce yourselves, and I must be going now.” He said firmly, once again straightening his coat, and walking away.

“I’m Peter. You’re not in uniform.” He said very short " temperedly.

“ I didn’t get one.” I replied with a stutter, I frown upon myself when I stutter. Very unappealing.  He walked into the next room quickly and abruptly and I followed.

“Put this on.” He said tossing a black and white polo uniform with a tennis skirt into my arms. I looked down at it for a few seconds, confused, and back at him. “Time’s a tickin’!” He exclaimed with a bit of sarcasm in his voice.

“Now..?” I asked, looking around for a restroom. “Where is the restroom?” I asked quietly.

“What are you talking about? Just put it on! God you rich girls are so conservative!” He muffled angrily, slightly banging his fist against the door frame.  “Fine! Fine! I’m turned around, is that better?” He asked sarcastically. I rolled my eyes and began to undress.

When I was done I threw my clothes in a locker and followed behind Peter out of the main house and towards the beach.

“What are we doing?” I asked trying to catch my breath " he walked so fast it was a struggle to keep up.

“Surfing.” He replied bluntly.

“Surfing? I thought you were training me to work?” I asked confused and a little short tempered myself.

“I am, I have to teach you to surf, so you can teach kids.” He explained. “Have you ever done it before?” He asked, with a bit of a calmer tone.

“No.” I replied. “Never.”

“Damn. A beach bunny…” He looked back at me and looked me up and down. “This should be interesting” He said, as our feet hit the sand. 


Ch3:

Peter Phenny was tall dark and handsome. His shoulders always back with confidence and his nose to the sky. He sunk into his hip a little when he stood still in a non-feminine but bad sort of way. He always seemed a little bent and his attitude was cocky, but I just couldn’t get passed his smile. The way he looked at the other girls that worked at the resort made me want to be them. The way he looked at me was with impatience and disgust; I knew he didn’t think I was capable of much.

 

“Okay, we otta’ get you out on that board before I get too bored!” Peter huffed sarcastically. “So what you do is run in with the board to your side…” He explained demonstrating with his own board as I attempted to follow along with the little skit. “Then once you’re up to your waist jump on and lay down and just pull yourself along with your fingers open. You will bounce over a few small waves before you get to the perfect one, at the last second, hop up, hold your balance and ride it in.” The way he spoke, he sounded like he was becoming more comfortable around me, like we were starting to connect and communicate until we were joined by his friends.

“Peter! Buddy!” One guy, with a nice build and shaggy blonde hair hollered as he approached us. Several others jogged along behind him casually twisting their feet through the sand.

“ Eh guys! Izzy!” Peter greeted them flipping his damp waves off of his forehead. I assumed Izzy was the girl to the far left because Izzy was a girls name and she appeared to be the only one amongst the group. She wore dark eye makeup and had dark reddish orange wavy hair. She wore her bikini bottoms low and about 4 sizes too small showing as much as possible without being considered naked.

“Who’s this broad?” She asked with a tone of annoyance.

“New girl.” Replied Peter.

“New girl huh?” Said one of the guys as he made his way through the group. He tugged on my skirt and immediately jumped back. “Jeez!” He exclaimed throwing his hands up in the air. “I was just playin’!” He scoffed. I just scowled.

“What do you say we make this a little competition, you versus Izzy!” Peter addressed me and Izzy slowly steeped forward with no look of worry on her face what so ever.

“Last one standing makes out with Peter! First one down cleans the men’s room tonight!” Exclaimed the same boy who tugged on my skirt. A few of them nodded and cheered along with this idea.

“ Sure thing, I could use some sugar..” Izzy stated provocatively drawing a line with her finger down Peter’s body. “Rockin bod huh?” She asked me, not really looking for a response. I remained silent. I was not interested in a surfing competition, I had no idea what I was doing, but I was interested in Peter. So maybe kissing Peter on the beach in front of his friends as an award from a competition wasn’t ideal, but it was something! “Let’s go Blondie!” Izzy began to walk towards the water, board under her arm, swaying back in forth with emphasis on her a*s. I wished I had the confidence to show off my body that way. Instead I quickly scurried behind her, stumbling here and there.  We got to the water and lined up with each other, she looked at me and bit her lip �" she was so cocky and sexy, if I acted like that my father would shoot me!

“READY LADIES?!” Peter hollered down to us.

“READY!” Izzy yelled back with a wink.

“Ready as I’ll ever be…” I whispered to myself rolling my eyes slightly.

© 2014 Gypsy Leigh


Author's Note

Gypsy Leigh
Work in progress - Short online novel - I try to have a new chapter up every 2 days.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on August 6, 2014
Last Updated on August 7, 2014
Tags: Love, Beach, Resort, 1960's, Romance, Summer, Teens, Feedbackplease

Author

Gypsy Leigh
Gypsy Leigh

Belleisle, NB, Canada



About
Hello. My name is Makayla, I am a 14 year old NB student, and I love spoken word poetry! Sarah Kay & Joe Kerschbaum are my poetry idols! Besides poetry, I also dance competitively, play volleyball, ba.. more..

Writing
Green Green

A Poem by Gypsy Leigh