When We Dared To Be Kings

When We Dared To Be Kings

A Poem by Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)
"

This is dedicated to Monroe Ave, and Kobe Bryant... thank you.

"
Which rousing tales of ours have those summer winds kept?

Nothing moved like we did... with the wind and against the heat. A rowdy crew of shorts & sneakers; putting basketball to pavement like hands to a war drum. Every neighborhood vibrated as we marched... and those boulevards became battle flags. Our voices carried them on high till nothing could be heard, but them.

Sweat soaked passion filled those white lines on hot blacktop from corner to corner. Amidst the thrill of competition, we push'd & pull'd at dreams as we challenged the sky and shook earth. We were lords of the playground; living and dying, game to game... legends and gods alike were made or slain in a moment's pause - below or above the rim.

On that sun-baked asphalt, we chased echoes of greatness - with our tongues out. We shouted "Kobe!", at the top of every game winning shot. Some of us gave so much to that speechless queen, hoping she found us fit for a crown. Will they remember... we were the favorite sons of the avenue? Or, stand in the quietude of those settled moments, when we dared to be kings?

Which rousing tales of ours have those summer winds kept?

© 2022 Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)


Author's Note

Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)
This is my thank you to Monroe Ave, a small patch of earth that likely saved my life... and also a thank you to the late Kobe Bryant, whom was always a point of inspiration. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Praiseworthy, honorable and impeccable. The litany of your words would make Kobe so proud. Such an impressive piece you've written, Travis. The title is everything! You must be so proud...and rightfully so!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

1 Year Ago

Thank you, thoughts such as yours are what bring forth pride. It's greatly appreciated and always an.. read more
Thank you for sharing this inspiration. I particularly appreciate the contrast and the visual imagery.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

1 Year Ago

Thank you, I am glad you enjoy it... you're visit and review are greatly appreciated.
Oh my Lord. This is it. Amazing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

1 Year Ago

Thank you... color me humbled.
Wow! This is great. I would love to see you add to it, possibly turn it into a novel or novella. The title draws the reader in immediately. You are a gifted writer I can see.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

1 Year Ago

Thank you... will have to give that some consideration. Thank you for the encouraging and thought pr.. read more
A good piece of poetic nostalgia! It is good to look back - especially if those memories are happy ones!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

1 Year Ago

They indeed are happy ones. Thank you for the visit and review.
So so so wonderful! I felt the passion, the power... the nostalgia and feelings of wistfulness. We are all kings and queens somewhere, and there You and your friends are in your own field, The Masters, The Knights and Kings. a touching first and ending lines my friend. I am sure the Summer winds will continue to carry your tales. I searched for Kobe Bryant, died too young. sorry for your loss my friend.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

1 Year Ago

Thank you, very much for your uplifting, and kind thoughts. Kobe was most definitely a loss for us a.. read more
Good morning,
Being inspired to write is always a wonderful thing.
I am not sure I would classify this wonderful write of yours as a poem...but what do I know?
Felt like a short story...or perhaps a page from a journal.
Non the less...I like it very much,
Lisa, early here in Spain

Posted 1 Year Ago


Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your honest thoughts. Poetry comes in so many different forms, what does any of us kno.. read more
Lisasview

1 Year Ago

You are most welcome…
And so right there are so many forms of poetry…
Lisa
"On that sun-baked asphalt, we chased echoes of greatness..." This is such a powerful inspiring piece.
Well penned!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

1 Year Ago

Thank you so very much.
Kings have crowns, angels have wings, poets reveal deep things.

Posted 1 Year Ago


An inspiring poem. Sports takes lots of practice, talent, hard work, team work, execution, planning and so forth. Many sports figures become heroes to the youth. You found yours. Marvelous. I hope you follow in their FOOTSTEPS.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

1 Year Ago

Thank you, brother... I most definitely spent a large part of my attempting to follow their footstep.. read more
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

Wow! You are welcome brother.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 6, 2022
Last Updated on May 6, 2022
Tags: Basketball, youth, Kobe, love, Monroe

Author

Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)
Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

Oblivion's edge, OH



About
Been here for some time... My work is my life. Read and I hope you enjoy. I will return the sentiment. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..