Fireflies.

Fireflies.

A Story by Haruko
"

Tonight is the night where all the fireflies come out. Everyone, with jars in hand, stay up and have fun. But with Alia and Embry, it's a night where they just need each other.

"

 

 

Alia runs through each inch of her room, huffing and puffing. As she looks under her bed, she finds her large but short jelly jar. The chipped gold top has a piece of manila tape, with her name scribbled on with red sharpie. She bits her tongue softly, excitement running through her veins. She smiles like a child as she runs down the stairs. She jets out the door and is greeted by the night. The sounds of crickets chirping and her friends laughing makes her heart soar.

“Where’s Alia?” calls out Eva. She touches her arm repeatedly. Alia laughs and hugs her half-sister closer to her.
“I’m right here, Eva!”
“Oh. So that’s was you that I was touching?” She faces her sister. Eva’s soft hair is in a tall ponytail, similar to a horse’s tail. Her almond eyes are wide, so they could see in the almost blinding dark.
“Sure was,” Alia says, walking along with her. Paul and Jacob come out of nowhere, pouncing on them. Jacob holds Eva by her waist while Paul puts his arm around Alia’s shoulders. Leona comes along and hugs Paul and smiles at all of them.

“It’s about time you showed up!” Leona sighs, laughing.
“I had to look for my jelly jar! Get off of my back!” She pouts, shooing her away with her hand swiftly. Leona rolls her eyes playfully, making Alia laugh.
“How many more people are we waiting for?” Asks Eva, looking up at Jacob.
“Well, Embry went to go and pick up Leah and Seth. Besides them, everyone is here.” Jacob explains. Alia’s cerulean and rifle green mixed eyes look away to a random tree as soon as his name appears into the air. Her soft lashes brushes against her cheeks as she closes them, feeling her stomach twist into a million knots.

“…Don’t worry about E, Alia. We still know you‘re hurting about the break up…” Eva coos, hugging her tight. Everyone gets into a group hug, making Alia laugh.
“Yeah, we’ll kick his a*s if he tries to act slick with you!” Paul raises his fist into the air.
“Okay, I give you permission to kick his a*s. But I get to get to slip in a couple of licks now and then.” She sniffles, sending a fake smile.
“I don’t need permission to kick someone a*s…” Jacob mumbles to no one, turning around. No one heard him, so everyone just walked towards Sam and Emily.

“Where the hell is Call?” Mumbles Sam loudly. Emily smiles and places her hand on his chest.
“Calm down, Sam. You promised all of us that this’ll be a stress free night!” She laughs, earning a kiss on top of her head.
“I know, I just told Embry and them not to come late…” Sam sighs. A car pulls up to the side of the house, earning a few comments and sighs. Embry comes out the car with a grey hoodie and dark jeans and a stressed out face. His eyes lock with Alia’s, looking down quickly. Alia looks away to the ground, feeling more eyes on her.

“Where the hell were you Embry!?” Calls out Eva. Everyone agrees with her, sending in a chorus of complaints. He shoos away the crowd, smiling with a goofy expression.
“Leah wanted to ‘look pretty’, so she took a long time.”
“Yeah, as if she needs to try to look pretty. I don’t know who she’s impressing.” Paul rolls his eyes. Leah sends a scowl and flips his off.
“Cool it with the comments, Paul!” Sam calls out. Paul rolls his eyes, putting his arm around Leona again.
“Can we just… Go now?” Alia says, smirking a bit. She stares at Embry with a small cold stare, making his eyebrow raise up.
“Yeah, we need to go! It’s… 11:00 pm exactly! The fireflies must be out by now!” Leona chirps.

Everyone grabs their jars, in all shapes and sizes, plus their flashlights, and starts walking towards the woods. Alia, Eva and Leona link their arms together as they walk ahead. Paul, Jacob and Embry walk together behind them. Quil, Jared and Seth somewhere else. Alia, with her laugh singing in the air, play around with her friends. Embry smiles a bit at her smile, making Jacob smack his lips.

“Em, if you’re gonna keep on smiling like that, you might as well just go and talk to her.” Jacob groans. Embry looks at him with a semi confused face.
“What’re you talking about?” He asks, looking ahead. He looks down at her legs, seeing them shine in the flashlight’s rays. The Daddy Long Leg like legs walk with grace in each step, making Embry’s fingers ache for their touch.
“You keep on smiling every time she laughs, you stare at her f*****g a*s and legs all the time when she’s wearing shorts and you look depressed every time her eyes even avert to you.” Paul growls.
“Um… And? That’s how I’ve always looked at her.” Embry rolls his eyes and looks up to the stairs. The sky’s diamonds blazed through the night, looking like burnt marks through a black piece of paper.
“Yeah, because you imprinted on her the first day you met her. You’re still in love with her, Em. Admit it. Besides, the break-up was pointless. That fight wasn‘t even that bad.” Jacob says rather loud. Alia looks behind her, with a small tear in her eye. Embry’s heart twisted up and he gulped, his throat feeling tight.

“Come on, let’s go more ahead.” Alia gulps. She pushes their backs softly as they protest.
“Why, Al?” Yells Eva.
“Cause Bug-a-Boo!” She laughs with a fake tone. They all walk ahead, with the trio of male wolves right behind them. Alia didn’t bother to look back.

“Damn Jacob, loud much?” Embry snaps.
“S**t, it’s not my fault! She already knows the truth and she’ll agree with me if I ask her right now! But, I’m not, since she’s already hurting enough as it is.” Jacob snaps back. Embry could feel himself shake with sadness and anger at the thought, Paul getting in right between them.
“No fighting! We’re supposed to be having fun right now!” Paul yells out. The girls look behind them, rolling their eyes. Embry calms down and just stay quiet for the whole walk, with thoughts of Alia’s beautiful eyes and lips sending him a smile.

“We’re here!” Announces Alia.
“Finally!” Cheers Eva.
“Woo, I can’t wait!” Leona sighs.
“Where’re the fireflies?” Seth interrupts. They all look at him as he sheepishly shrugs. Alia smiles and walks over by him. Embry watches her walk, with his heart sinking with each of her step.

“Over there.”

Everyone’s mouths are in awe of such a sight. The small little bugs flew around, flashing on and off their natural light like a street light. Some of them were in groups and some by themselves. They flew around each of the group members’ heads. Everyone’s excitement builds up as they watch each and every firefly fly around with such small grace.

“Wow.” Embry and Alia whisper simultaneously. Embry looks at her with a small smile, earning one back. They look ahead quickly before anyone else catches on.

In a split second, everyone jets around, trying to catch each and every firefly in their jar. Alia jumps up and catches a few, laughing along the way. Even the boys, who were laughing and whooping everywhere, made a bet who would catch the most. Alia decides to go father in the woods to catch two fireflies that didn’t leave each other. Walking over the twigs softly, her ears heighten themselves in pitch so she can hear if anyone sneaks up after her.

“Stay bright, little fireflies… Make light before my eyes…” Sings Alia, with a smile on her face. With a swift motion, she catches the two of them. Her big eyes watches them still stay together. She feels someone behind her, so she whips around quickly.
“Woah, it’s just me.” Says Embry, throwing his arms up in defense. She turns around and keeps on watching the fireflies.
“Oh. I thought you were Jake or something, trying to scare the s**t outta me.”
“Didn’t I already?” He smirks. She laughs quietly and looks up into the skies. She smiles and shrugs, agreeing with him. Embry stands next to her and she looks at him. They stare at each other for a moment. She puts down the jar onto the floor, with a confused face. He puts his down and keeps the flashlight.

“Embry… I heard what Jacob said.” She murmurs.
“Yeah, I guess you did…” He sighs, feeling his gut fill with butterflies. “You know, I like the way you still say my name.” He comments, smiling at her blushing face.
“I say it like everyone else, Em.”
“But the way you say it is… just perfect.”
“Are you just trying to change the convo, or you actually mean it?” She smirks. He grabs her wrist, making her lips go down.
“Both.” He looks ahead as he holds on to her wrist, as if it was the last thing in the world he was going to touch.
After a few moments of silence, Embry turns Alia around to face him. Embry, on the verge of tears, made Alia swell up inside. He grabs her face softly and places his forehead on hers.

“I miss you, Alia! I miss everything! I miss it when you kiss me or when you touch me! I miss the way you smile and everything! I just want you back and I think I’m worthy enough-”
“Worthy enough? Worthy enough?” She whispers, holding his face. Fat tears fall her face, Embry wiping them with his thumb. “You’re always worthy, Embry. You’re always my imprint, my first and last love… You’ll always be that, Em.”

Her lips are softly squished on his, more tears falling down on his thumb. Her heart rises up to her throat as he wraps one of his arm around her waist. Her fingers intertwine with his short hair, dancing through each crease of her finger’s skin webs.

“Well, finally!” Sighs Sam out loud
“About time!” Says Eva.

Alia break apart and looks at the whole group. They were all smiling or laughing, but Emily crying with tears of joy. Embry twist his fingers with Alia’s, laughing along with them.

“Ahh, young love. Always prevail no matter what.” Emily comments. Alia laughs and sends her a kiss.
“I guess it does, Emily.” Sam says, kissing her soft cheek. Alia looks back to Embry, smiling. They both grab their jars and open the lip. The group follows along and open theirs. Shaking it a bit, the fireflies exit the jar. Everyone cheered and jumped up, seeing the bugs dance towards the moonlight.

“I love you, Em.” Alia says mentally, gripping his hand tighter.
“Love you too, Ali.”

They both didn’t bother to say it out loud. For fear that they’ll both would ruin the sight.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2010 Haruko


Author's Note

Haruko
:D
C/C?
Remember, this song was based off of the song Fireflies by Saosin

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

awww this is so f*****g cyute!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
1 Review
Added on July 8, 2010
Last Updated on July 8, 2010
Tags: embry call eclipse

Author

Haruko
Haruko

Milwaukee, WI



About
My name is Haruko. I'm infinity years old. Music is my breath and blood. Writing is my bones and marrow. Singing is my serenity. I'm a failure but f*****g proud of it. Get at me. more..

Writing
I'll Never I'll Never

A Poem by Haruko