Playground

Playground

A Story by Hamkar

My whole mouth tastes strange. I feel dizzy. Luca appears from somewhere and seems to be crying. He still hasn't changed out of his uniform. He sits at the table, eyes still red and grabs a pen. I see a shadow move somewhere down the hall. Luca is scared. I know it. I didn't want to go home but someone is in the house. Someone who might take Luca, someone who might hurt him.


I come back to reality. I'm at playground, the last kid having fish and chips with their parents had left hours ago, it was how I liked it.

Alone. Secret.

But now I had to get home to save Luca.


I walked home because if I ran my dizzy spells got worse. It still seemed to take only half the time. I grabbed a screwdriver from the toolbox, it was left outside with the unfinished gate lock. The door was open and I could sneak in without them hearing. I kept low, behind the couch, trying to see what was happening and who was attacking Luca. I hope it is Luca lying on the couch, I don't dare check, just keep low and work out what is happening. I didn't actually know whether my vision at the playground was real or not either. I knew that Luca was supposedly in this house alone since our parents were away for the weekend. I had also told him that he can stay home by himself even though he isn't old enough because both him and I don't want me to babysit him.


Someone came through the door. I knew I recognized them from somewhere but I don't remember it being a friendly encounter. Luca stands up. It was him on the couch. But unfortunately it too was true " my vision. The person who came through the door edges towards him, arms outstretched, ready to strangle the life out of him. Luca also put his arms out, but it must have been a defense move. I can't keep crouching behind this couch when my little brother is about to be choked to death.


I spring.


It doesn't matter that I don't quite get there, they both notice me and scream. I quickly pause to say sorry to Luca, I wasn't intending to surprise him and then shoved the screwdriver into the stranger's side. It's a woman. I still can't think where I've seen her before, it's almost like trying to remember your dream a week later. It doesn't make much of a mark so I thrust it back into her stomach. Anything to get her away from Luca. This time when I pull it out it has blood on it.


It is now that I hear Luca screaming, I didn't realise he was so scared. But I have rescued him, so he's okay.


I walk towards him, making sure that the woman won't come and attack from behind. Luca is still screaming. “You've killed her, You've killed her” Luca stops and takes a breath distorted by tears. He resumes to his screaming, “You've killed her!” I try to comfort him and say he is safe, that lady won't hurt you anymore, and that I'm sorry I ever left him alone in the house. I also say that I did what I had to do, and I know it's a shock when your brother kills someone, but you were in danger so I had to. I don't get it. He keeps backing away every time I walk towards him and won't stop screaming. Except now it's “Get away from me, you killed her, get a-way!”


My arm is twisted around behind my back, I turn and find a man looking startled and fierce all at once. I try to turn around and untwist my arm but I can't. He won't let me. I swap my screwdriver into the other hand and stab at his back. He grabs our phone and dials a few numbers but I just keep stabbing at him and he falls to the ground before he gets any further.


Luca is still screaming.


I now have no idea what to do. I have two strangers in my house. Both only semi-concious. My little brother won't stop screaming and won't come anywhere near me. I can't do anything normal because if I do anything normal like have toast, everyone will send me to psychologists and the like saying that I don't react to violence and just shut it out.


So then, what to do... I feel another dizzy spell coming on. I don't want to faint but-


Suddenly the back of my head is in contact with the ground. People come in but I'm too sore to take much in. The people can fight for me if the two people get up again.

My eyes close.

I think I might faint.

My breaths lag far behind my heartbeat. In. Out.

Someone goes through my pockets. What are they doing? They're supposed to be comforting Luca...

Words are spoken but I only take in a few. In. Out.

He's on LSD.”

In.

Out.

Stab wounds...”


Breathe, I need to breathe. I've forgotten how to breathe...


In.


Out. It's okay, I'm still alive


...Both parents”


In.



Out.



One in stable condition”



Oh my God... What about the other? They've been away... Is the other dead? Anyway, how come I only find this out after half the neighbourhood has been told?




Breathe. Another breath. Please





In.










Out.






Younger boy missing...”

© 2013 Hamkar


Author's Note

Hamkar
I am trying to get the voice of a teenage boy who isn't great with words. Is that what you get?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very well written, i think it's great and you conveyed it far better than i could:)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

301 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 3, 2012
Last Updated on May 31, 2013

Author

Hamkar
Hamkar

Nelson, New Zealand



About
Hi, I'm Hamkar. I like reading and writing. I think Juicy Writing is the best writing help I've seen so far. I lived in France for ten months. I can speak a bit of French. I think it is fun.. more..

Writing
An Eyeful An Eyeful

A Poem by Hamkar


Air Air

A Story by Hamkar