The Weight of Worth

The Weight of Worth

A Story by Coyote
"

a thought-provoking exploration of a future where humanity's value is measured by subscription tiers

"
Ethan awoke from his restless slumber, his weary eyes struggling to adjust to the dim light of his sparsely furnished apartment. The walls, painted in muted shades, seemed to mirror his own muted existence. He reached for the small device on his nightstand, checking the dwindling number of subscription credits remaining. It was a constant reminder of the value he had to pay for even the most basic necessities in this dystopian world.

Reluctantly, he rose from his bed, feeling the stale air engulf his senses. The hum of the air purifier filled the room, its faint presence offering a manufactured illusion of freshness. With a heavy sigh, Ethan adjusted the settings, rationing the regulated oxygen to last a little longer. Every breath had become a calculated expenditure, a reminder of the constraints placed upon him.

As he ventured outside, the streets greeted him with a cacophony of sounds and a blur of movement. The city had transformed into a sprawling labyrinth of towering buildings, each bearing the signs of corporate control. Neon signs flickered, advertising the latest subscription-based services that promised a sense of comfort and convenience.

Ethan joined the flow of people on the crowded sidewalks, their faces masked with resignation or the faintest traces of contentment. The subtle glow of portable air filters adorned their clothing, each one acting as a personal barrier against the polluted outside world. They moved in synchrony, a sea of conformity guided by their subscriptions.

Amidst the sea of bodies, Ethan observed the subtle differences in attire and accessories that revealed the divide between the tiers. The affluent few flaunted their premium subscriptions, dressed in sleek outfits made from advanced materials that offered comfort and style. Meanwhile, those relegated to lower tiers wore utilitarian clothing, their features devoid of any frills or indulgence.

Inside the public bathroom, Ethan navigated the tiers with practiced indifference. The walls were adorned with glossy advertisements, boasting the luxuries that awaited those who could afford the higher levels of subscription. The distinct scent of various cleaning agents permeated the air, a ploy to lure those in search of an escape from the grim realities outside. He passed by the opulent facilities, pristine and inviting, knowing his place in this rigid hierarchy. He chose the basic tier, accepting the grimy surroundings as an inescapable reality.

Arriving at his workplace, Ethan stepped into a sterile environment that mirrored the compartmentalized nature of their society. Colleagues exchanged polite greetings, their conversations intertwined with subtle hints of privilege and status. The gleaming gadgets and advanced technologies that adorned their workstations spoke of the divisions that subscription tiers had etched into every aspect of their lives. Ethan blended into the background, his skills, and efforts limited by his lower tier, his aspirations stifled by the predetermined boundaries imposed upon him.

During the lunch break, Ethan found himself in the bustling food court, a microcosm of the stark disparities that defined their existence. The aromas of gourmet dishes filled the air, wafting temptingly past his nostrils. He glanced at the extravagant meals enjoyed by those of higher tiers, their plates adorned with culinary masterpieces that seemed to mock his meager selection. He settled for a modest meal, savoring each bite while suppressing the longing for more.

As the day drew to a close, Ethan joined the sea of commuters on his journey back home. The air grew thin, lacking the freshness he had grown accustomed to in his apartment. The subscription-controlled ventilation systems within the transport vessels struggled to maintain an adequate supply, reminding him of the cost of his passage. He observed the expressions of his fellow travelers, their faces displaying a peculiar blend of satisfaction and resignation, as if they had learned to find solace in their confined existence.

Entering his apartment once again, Ethan closed the door behind him, shutting out the relentless noise of the world beyond. The silence embraced him, but it felt hollow, devoid of any true tranquility. He moved through the familiar surroundings, the sparsely furnished rooms acting as a constant reminder of his place in this subscription-driven world.

In the solitude of his room, Ethan contemplated the price they all paid for this illusion of contentment. The system had become an unrelenting force, shaping their lives and dictating their worth. The hope for change that had once flickered within him was gradually extinguished, replaced by a resignation that seeped into the very fabric of his being.

As darkness cloaked the city, Ethan lay on his bed, his weariness seeping into his bones. The subscription credits that once sustained him had dwindled to nothing, leaving him without the means to procure the vital fresh air he depended upon. The faint scent of manufactured oxygen lingered in his apartment, a reminder of what he no longer possessed.
His chest tightened, constricting with each labored breath. The regulated flow of air ceased, leaving a suffocating emptiness in its wake. Panic surged within him, clawing at his throat as he grasped for any hint of oxygen. His surroundings, once familiar and comforting, now transformed into a prison, closing in on him from all sides.
Ethan's mind raced, searching for a solution, a glimmer of hope in this suffocating darkness. But his futile attempts to secure emergency credits or find a temporary reprieve only deepened his despair. The walls seemed to close in, mocking his helplessness, as he struggled to find solace in the fading memories of what life used to be.
Through the window, the distant city lights painted a picture of a world he could no longer access. A world where the air was freely breathed, where human connection wasn't bought and sold, and where a person's worth was measured in more than mere subscriptions. It was a world that now felt like a distant dream, slipping further away with each passing moment.
As the night grew colder, Ethan lay on his bed, his body weakening, his breaths becoming shallower. The hint of uncertainty hung in the air, leaving an unspoken question of whether he would survive until morning. In the absence of subscription credits, the world had forsaken him, leaving him to confront the harsh reality of a life reduced to numbers and limitations.

© 2023 Coyote


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Author