Walking Into The Light

Walking Into The Light

A Story by Hannah

I was hypnotized by the flashing colorful screen that painted the room brightly casting large black intimidating shadows to erupt from the furniture.  The soft murmur of the television pierced the chilling silence as I curled up on the old, destroyed sofa nestling my head in a comfortable pillow.
The door to my house was forcefully thrown open and the lights abruptly switched on as my mother lumbered in feebly collapsing beneath bags of heavy shopping.
'Katie, guess what I got for you?' She entered the lounge with a smile widely displayed across her face.
'What?' I glanced up eagerly my eyes alight.
She fumbled through her bags off shopping then produced a movie and a large crate of beer.
'Girls night in?' She asked me cheekily an expression of happiness flickered across her face.
I laughed quietly to myself then replied 'Sure, you’re awesome Mum.'
I approached her and gathered her into a casual hug excited to finally spend some time with her. She had been absorbed in her work lately and that was difficult for me as our relationship together was like two best friends.
'Okay, I'll just grab some dinner for you. Do you mind beans on toast I want to do something quick.'
'That's fine' I replied preparing to set up the movie.
I edged towards the screen when suddenly the screen flickered off and the picture was engulfed into the blackness. I froze this small insignificant change disturbed me.
I scanned the room desperately trying to locate the source of the problem when the television spurted to life again displaying a cheerful cheesy scene form a random cheap movie.
'Mum . . ' I called in the direction of the kitchen.
'Did the power just turn off?' I asked hesitantly.
'No why. . .'
'It's the T.V'
'Oh that piece of s**t. . hey excuse me Hun I'm just going to pop outside to have a f*g.'
'Okay . . '
No of course the power didn't turn off the lights were still on. I thought to myself.
I carefully advanced towards the DVD player attempting to slide in the disk.
When slowly the lights started to quiver and flutter until the room drowned into the darkness.
The television also assisted in swallowing the room into the eerie blackness that now stained the room as it switched off again.
I violently shuddered as I felt like something was wrong.
Like something was there.
Like something was watching me.
My heart beat began to rapidly increase as I swiftly shifted my gaze around the room waiting for my eyes to adjust to the dark.
'Hehe.'
I heard a childish giggle echo around the room and I realized I recognized the laugh.
It was mine.
The television was playing cruel games with my minds as the screen began to play what appeared to be a family video.

It portrayed an image of my older sister and I as young children giggling as we playfully stumbled through a bright playground. The sky was a baby blue blanket speckled with tiny clouds a light breeze carefully caressing the trees causing their branches to dance gracefully as they swayed. The atmosphere was cheerful and my young face was glowing with happiness as I was at that age when I was naive and unaware of the dangers that tarnished the world.

The feeling that was trapped in my mind returned as I felt as if something was wrong. Then I realized.

No one was filming us that day.

The images that were displayed were like someone’s memories.

 As if someone was watching us that day.

The scenes started to change rapidly swiftly passing through the stages off my life. Random events such as walking to school, eating or with friends were amongst this mysterious and frightful slide show.

Panic consumed me as my mind became manipulated by the thoughts of fear and death. I wanted to scream I wanted to run, but my body was immobile as I was petrified my body completely numb. My eyes began to sting as small salty tears gently rolled down my hot face as I discovered I couldn’t close my eyes. I sat shivering my body rippling with violent shudders my breathing intensified and my heart threatening to burst out of my chest.

‘Mu-u-um’ I stammered my voice stunned me as it sounded like a inaudible croak.

‘He-e-e-lp.’

I was about to emit a blood curdling scream my voice begging to be heard, my mind begging to be saved when . .

It stopped.

The television resumed its normal state the room ringing with a painful silence. I gradually curled myself into a ball recovering as the feeling of death released its tight grasp on me. I sighed in relief discovering comfort in the dark.  A few minutes past and I waited patiently in for my Mum to return.

I thought it was all over  . .

Suddenly a deafening demonic roar shock the house as it echoed through the hallways causing glassware to smash into pieces on the floor.

My scream pierced the air as I clawed the floor hysterically.

‘F**K OFF!’ I screamed attempting to appear brave.

The television turned on for what I hoped was the last time exposing a picture of my lounge.

It was hardly visible as the room was dark lightly light by the glow of the T.V.

I saw a feeble looking person shivering on the floor staring at the television.

No it can’t be.

No

NO

NO!

It was me this was happening now! The angle of the shot made it obvious that whoever was watching me ws behind me standing at the door.

The picture grew larger as I realized whoever it was coming closer.

Now the picture only showed my head as I felt deep heavy warm breathing on my neck. A low growl escaped from the lips of the thing towering behind me. The breathing lingered brushing  my hair as I sat frozen waiting for the moment my neck would be snapped. Then it stopped as the television flickered off.

. .  .

WHOOOOOSH

A large object raced past me in a blur narrowly missing my head and crashing into the glass table sending shards of glass to spray across the room slicing my skin.

WHAT WAS THAT?

I dragged myself towards the object that was brutally thrown across the room.

It was a body. .

I nudged the still corpse so it rolled on its back. The eyes had been clawed out leaving empty sockets that were spilling blood which almost made the face unrecognizable.

But I would always be able to tell who this was.

My Mum lay dead in my hands her body ripped clawed and ruined.

I sobbed hysterically burying my head in my mother’s chest. Who would do this? No, what would do this?

‘AAAAAAAAAAH!’

 BAM!!

I was powerfully thrown into the air by an invisible attacker slamming the ceiling causing tiles to collapse. I felt strong claw like hands grab my hands and feet. The demon began to rip me slowly and painfully torturing me to until my heart would beat for the last time. My screaming continued as I thrashed about still not determined to give up and watch myself slowly be torn.

‘Katie.’ A soft angelic voice whispered in my ear.

‘Stop, join me.’

‘Mum?’ I uttered into the darkness.

The demon grunted a reply as it clawed of my fingers still firmly holding my wrists.

‘Yes Katie stop fighting it will be fine this life you will enter is better than before.’

My Mothers slightly transparent beautiful young face appeared before me all her imperfections removed.

‘Yes.’ I managed to reply and used my last strength to reach out for her hand.

A strong feeling overpowered me. An amazing feeling that I had never experienced before. I felt  calm, peaceful and healthy. My inner energy burning releasing a intense light to explode from my body.

So this is what dying felt like . .

I forced myself to grab my mother’s hand which began to softly glow that soon increased in brightness until it blinded my vision.

Wow . .

I really was walking into the light.

© 2012 Hannah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

you made it feel as though i was there watching. your use such emotive and descriptive language made my skin crawl. a thrilling read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was really good, all though I had this yearning afterwards to know what it actually was that killed the mum and daughter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


hey, great piece of writing you've done! Good horror and suspense, didn't know where it was going next! keep up the good work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great story had me entharlled from the first paragraph this is intense yet very readable Thanks for sharing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


WOW! This is a totally intense story that kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. It gave off the fear of the situation it a huge way! It was awesome!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This story is very intense and captivating, and your writing is very skilled. Good job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow... I mean, that's the first thing I think as soon as I finish reading this. It was so powerful, so... intriguing. As I read I felt myself being dragged further and further in to it. I didn't want to stop reading it, and I was sad that it ended. Some complaints I have, though, is that in the beginning... I have no idea what's going on. Why is she being attacked by a demon? What did she do? Is her mother an angel? The last question is easily assumed to be yes, but the other two need to be answered in my opinion. But other than that, this story was mindblowing. I loved the imagery and the descriptions, and as a short story, I honestly do think you did really awesome. Sometimes, in stories like this, it's hard to capture everything you're trying to say without it being too long or feeling like too much is happening and there's not enough... how you say it... down time? where you're just getting a feel for the story itself. You didn't have that problem. So, GREAT job! I can't wait to read some more things by you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this was reay good out did an outstanding job :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow.. very nice! loved this :) great job

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow! This was amazing! Takes "I saw my life flash before my eyes" to a whole new level! You built suspense here much better than I can and you're only 14! Please teach me how to do that! You actually had my heart pounding! The end was a little anticlimactic for me, but after the intensity of the rest of the story, any peaceful ending would be so. I'm going to suggest that you watch the adverbs...you use them pretty heavily. Adverbs are the bane of being published. Publishers hate their overuse. Stephen King said, "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." And who can argue with him?

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

778 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 11, 2011
Last Updated on January 27, 2012

Author

Hannah
Hannah

About
Hannah, 15. New Zealand. I'd love anyone to review my poems I really aprreciate it, thanks. :) more..

Writing
Guilt Guilt

A Poem by Hannah


Society Society

A Poem by Hannah



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fringe Fringe

A Poem by Robin


Ride Ride

A Poem by Robin


I I

A Poem by Robin