-Prides Prize-

-Prides Prize-

A Story by HardShepard
"

Our tale starts with a new captain who struggles to gives orders like her old grandpa did. The ship Ula inherited was none other than Skybreaker. It's bin passed down from generation and generation.

"

Chapter 1. "Deep in though"

The sounds of rolling thunder was heard over the cove. Rain pitter pattered along the well decorated metals. The ship echoed with an often sound of dripping dew that slid through the seams of the deck. With a faint flickering torch on the desk a girl stared blankly at a page. A quill posed in between her indent and thumb as she tapped it on the grand desk. Another crack of thunder bolted to the sea and her face didn't change. A small hat tilted up over red hair and two long braids stride down along the rolled collar of the navy coat. She sat bet on the chair that was hand craved with its own finished shine of gloss seen from each strike by zeus's hand.


Before the young women was a inheritance sheets and other property forms with frilled outer edge and a gold border. "what to do" her face muttered with clammy eyes. It's past midnight and there she found herself self with a dulling light. Ula looked up to the celling as she tilted back, crossing her long legs again. "What did you leave behind gezer?", With a sigh of sleepiness. Stretching her arms and getting up, she blew out the candle. She lingered with a shudder as one would walk with the fallen. Another light into the world and her eyes had to readjust. Finding the curved door handle she opened the bedroom under the stairs. It was a small closet but a medium bed with another sea of shapes and colors across it.


She found the edge with a tap of the boot and stopped. In the darkness she took off the coat and slim pants. She landed with a puff and went to bed as the ship rocked her to sleep. The next day you'll get it, she thought as the mind slipped away. As the night grew weary her mind played charades that night. The dream realm was more of a exaggerated memory of her grandfather and her. It was at a cottage a small one with a burning fire going. The building was one room with a bear rug covering most of it. Other game were plastered to the walls and before the fire was a sturdy man. Papers in one hand as the other held his head. He leaned over skimming the pages. "Grandpapy?", He looked up with a grin of many teeth.


"yes Ula?". The voice of the man was gentle but with a deepish tone. His glasses were shining with the great fire. The 16 year old got up and walked to the middle table. A small round thing that had three legs and three chairs. Standing over it "what do you do out in the sea?" He stood up and rubbed his long ropes that started at the nose and stopped past the chin. Then he paused and spoke with a even deeper tone that was close to a moan. "If it really picks at your locks..." she nodded vigorously "then I'll tell you. When I'm fighting the currents and blowing smoke. I don't just search for riches or foes. What I seek is something useless to others but not to me, nor to past holders of that ship. It's a curse, but a blessing of that ship"


It switched to a scene of flowers and a stone plaque. It was the grave of the grandfather. A row of six now that laid along the back of the cottage. On the tomes were the same name "skybreaker" under it the years of birth to death. On the ground was a set of clothing. The same that she wore from then on. On top of the coat was a black corse box. When opened there among rich red was a silver ring and a transparent crystal on top. There was an inscription "by wind and sea, it binds us so". It was a large ring but under all the apparel was something deeper than though alone. Once removing the new gifts there were the last words of no one but all.


The first stone said "by Sky's wrath a ship was sent forth from the heavens. It found its self among ruins of the gods. By hand and wit it was set free from its cursed prison". The second on a marble, "Seas beckoned and sent forth a gift of riches but an heirloom for all owners to share and with it luck wile in its oyster". The third stained with rust, "the earth released a tremble and shook all things. The great roar of canyons released something as wicked as hell". The forth was long, "in a great fight for riches, greed smiles. In the race of life, death runs. In honors last breath, a song was heard. A piece of many, binds all with pride, one gift unites a party".


The fifth was that of the smallest of burial, "pride is something done not said, leadership is said but not held, it takes cunning and respect to work the seas as well as brotherhood". The last and most dear was well spoken, "a captain of a ship is no more than another member, the ship itself holds a story. A puzzle set out for others to fill, but a picture only we can fill". With those final words she got up taking sword in hand and walked into branches. Dreams of dancing darkness became reality as bits of light shined through the window of the dark bowls of the ships hold and something darker within.


With a yawn and a crack of limbs she got up and dressed for it was the second day of the loss. A blinding light along the horizon as dense as an inferno. The deck blackened by storms and the sea sizzling with heat. She turned off and looked to town. "I need at least 3-5 hands for this ship" she said grabbing her neck and a look of worry across he face. Wondering off the boat on to solid rock foundations she found a hand full of guards around. Red coats with hats and weapons. She nodded to them and they stared back. British one would say, as the pirate traditions never end in this world only expanded into new legends of courage and danger or fables.


She walked high and tall passing through the open streets and slowly stopping. With a large back step and a turn to the dominant side she looked with wonder. A large window before her and a lovely dress of the sea and blood on it. A sliming one that was not symmetrical or soft but though. It attracted Ula but the price is clear. The red head whipped her hair back and trotted off head high. Wandering in and out of markets, down the winding streets she reached a silent tavern in the back of lanes and other buildings. "Let's hope there's some bounty hunters here" the young muttered readjusting the hat and clothes. Slowly scooting in she sat down at the counter and a male was behind "any wandering hands here?"



Chapter 2. "Questionable Fate"

A slender man with a blank face turn and glanced his head left. Ula peered down the room in the same direction. The captain turned back and nodded as a graces "thank you". He perked a small grin and went back to wiping down cups and watched all from the side lines. She slowly stalked wile eavesdropping the men around the table. "What's with all these guards these days" "i don't know but it's safe" "how much I wonder tho" "you could say it's fishy?" "stop playing around with your sushi" "I don't get it?" They stopped as the leader pulled out a gun. His eyes slit, "Now then step into the light or I'll do it for you". The man said pointing behind the other two.


She slowly slithered out with hands on her hips and a sly brow raised, "now, you wouldn't shoot a little girl like me would you" "depends on what blade your going to use to cut me heart out with" "I was thinking a small surgical blade about 20 inches and sharp, so I can keep that head of yours on my wall" "names Gunter, a good marksman" "Ula, new inheritance of the skybreaker" "hi, List, great in all trades" "Alvar, smart in any form of paper". They all looked at each other. "I'll cut you some slack since your new and a girl" Gunter said putting away the gun and leaning forward, "I've also heard about the ship, a ship from the sky's itself" "well thank you".


Ula pulled out a seat and sat down, "so what do you guys know about a captain's job?". Alvar shuffled behind papers "I don't exactly know what they do behind the scenes, but what I do know is that they are very watchful, and often hear all. Obviously they are the role model of the crews expectations" "ok" Ula said nodding a bit. "What will you be paying us?" List asked smoking one. She was silent "...your meals for a sta-" "What's your goals?" He asked once again. "Hey! Cut her some slack. She's new and last I checked your not the strongest here" the brown hair said snarling. The male mumbled something. Gunter began again "We'll help since we got nothing better to do and need to get our minds off of... things".


They were all silent and a moment passes as they finish their luxuries. The sharpest one of them all looked up and across from him was their new boss. The emerald eyes were as two lagoons in the summer. He spoke softly for only the selected few to hear, "how did you get your hands on that ship?" "My grandfather was up in rings" "your father would have gotten it, so what happened to him?" "I grew up with my mother so only time knows. I went to my grandpa for work when he called. That was 6 years ago". The bookworm of them looking over the newspaper spoke intriguingly, "you don't seem a day over 16" "and your silver toung is so fluent"... "I'm not a talker" "I'm 21 to be correct". The small one shut up.


Gunter slowly got up, the two nodded to this. The man raised his hand out of his pocket and held a coin close. Flashing it three times to the bartender he slid the deb-loon back and started to walk. The others followed quickly as they briskly left. They heard a burst behind them and only Ula did a double take. She saw two men in full black cloaks be halted by the bartender. Eventually thrown aside and chased them, "run" she said looking back forward. "On it" "lead the way to the ship" "we'll explain once we get there". They cut around corners sharply jumped over a brick wall in an alley to get to the docks. "The last one", She said jogging in front and out of air.


The small group boarded and raised the plank. The took a moment to rebreathe looking around. The women cleared her whistle and spoke still a bit shaky, "Let's talk in a more private matter" "yes" Gunter said looking up with a small smirk and crooked brows. Ula walked over and unlocked the door but not didn't budge. "Weapons here" she said with a free hand opening and closing to them. The open hand with soft skin felt a burdening pull as she fully unlocked the door. Turning back there in hand was a whole bag as long as a body but to thin to be. Ula stepped back opening the captains quarters. "type?" The women said dumfounded still looking it over. "Well to be fair it's... Two pistols and daggers on my end, a long sword and heavy... gauntlets for List. Finally a... Journal of Alvar's" Gunter said leaning over the railing next to her looking out to sea.


Widen eyes and surprise took form. "well", She started as they filed in, "who's after you?". The leader took a big sigh on another cigarette and blew it up is arcing swirls. "It's a group of things, no one can quite explain what they are, but there is one thing certain about them. They are evolved beast that were bread to kill" the man said having a heaving look and grinding teeth. "Oh you mean, void stalkers. Ya brutal things and only so many weaknesses" the women said with dimples. Ula sat crossed legged on the front of the desk with sword placed in hand. With the sword crossing along the high knee she brushed it back and forth sharpening her nails.


The three men looked blankly and loss of color, "y..y..you know what these things are!" The smallest one said with a hand dangling below the open jaw. "Naturally my grandfather fought one and only lost three toes. Haha ah, I called him steel toe from then hehe, good times" wiping the water of joy, her gaze focused on the men that have shifted father away. Ula tilted and looked them over, "you don't look like the type to get scared" the captain said interest, putting down the blade. "Well we were a crew of many, but then... they showed up after we took an... Item from a cave" he paused and continue with regret in his voice and unable to link eyes.


Three of them to be exact with black, beatty, slit eyes. Fangs as big and sharp as many daggers. Their smiles wide and narrow from ear to ear. It pounced on us and ripped heads and limbs clean off. We tried to shoot at them but they were to quick. We were lucky that it finally became morning and they slithered away. Is... Is there any way to kill one?" Gunter finished looking back up her. The women slid off the desk with a large grin, "nope" she said confident. There was an eery silence as Ula walked behind the fine craftsmanship and sat down in the arm chair. The women bent down and opened a side drawer. The men stood silent, exiled from her, wondering.


 A large blinding light filled the room once opened. Ula shirked at this sudden change and looked away. The light faded slowly and all turned to this paranormal action. They were soon moths being drawn to their doom. Ula picked up the small black box and opened it as a gaze of riches shined in her eyes. "What did he leave me?" The girl said pulling out the shining ring. The crystal wrapped in silver mimicked what it was not. A projection of an object know to few formed by light. It hovered above the hand that held it so. "Is it that a... Book?" She said finally studying it "a cover of many symbols... circling around a sun set at sea?". One leaped forth.



Chapter 3 "Ships bowls unturned" 

"You'll never have it!" Alvar said grabbing the bag of belongings. His face swelled with pain and water. Ula was stuck on what to say but another voice spoke for her. "Get a hold of your self! It's not even ours" Gunter yelled as he locked the small one still. The leader lifted his arms under both armpits of Alvar and pulled him close to him. "Calm down, calm down" the medium built man whispered above his ear as he looked down at him. List pulled out a hankercheaf and knelt down on one leg. "She's not going to take its only a small poke about it" the large man said wiping down the sniffles and tears. He turned his head with both brows down. The captain got the message and moved closer around the desk to the group. 


"Oh ya. It's yours of course. Finders keepers, you know, but it's not bad to take a look" Ula said smiling as she bent over to meet eye to eye. With yellow eyes and a quivering breath, he nodded. She patted the boys head and felt sorry. Ula turned around and opened the contraband pouch. She found the book on top and it was a big one. The whole thing was leather with a golden boarder on the cover. A picture of the sunset was on front but was a ink drawing on paper. There were no real runes on it, well not the out side but it did glow from within. The others moved closer to see what exactly saw inside it. Ula standing before the captain's chair opened the cover.


The ring shut off and became dull. The members reset their gaze once again on the book. It opened with ease as the pages rubbed. The tome's first pages were a glossary. The fancy cursive writing listed off, lore, expansion, orders, and notes as the last pages. She flipped page after page looking it over but never reading it. There were many pictures on the sides of the text. The lore section showed a larger ship over the sky's riding clouds. Another drawing was a blast through the ship and it was in two. The last description was a part of the ship fell into a jungle temple. These pictures for told what the stones said but also questions about the relatives popped up in her head. Those that will never be answered.


The expansion passage was full of pictures. Not much writing but some of it read, "those who recover the pieces of the past will be forever lightened and blessed by the lands of heaven". The pictures shown were, kitchen, rec. room, an alchemy quarter, and even a hall of brass. The last page of the section was a well detailed device. "The heart" the top said. It covered the whole page with notes about all the parts it pointed to. They all studied this and saw that this was something out worldly. Gunter let go and they all were silent. "Should we still continue?" Ula said with a quiver in lip as she said this. Alvar nodded and so she flipped the page. Commands the tome read. The chart of them also told what they did.


"Why a page on just commands what's the point?" The female said. "I was wondering the same thing but... But what if the ship is alive?" Alvar said looking around. That word made all of time seem to stop as Ula's mind ran along. "A curse but a blessing, they said, would that be true. If this ship is alive then would it curse us if we don't treat it well? This is indeed some real power with this one heirloom" the female though as she slowly looked over to the ring and inscription. "Ehem" a voice cleared and time seemed to resume. "Oh sorry I was dozing off again thinking" she said rubbing her neck awkwardly "well let's see the rest". Once the first part of the next page was turned over it showed thousands of runes. They widened.


Fire, water, earth, air, shadow, light, and more but the sizes varied. In the center of the page was a hand print of blood. The finger prints were not warped or faded but, the print had no detail to it. As smooth as a baby's behind. "Is that real blood?" Ula asked in disbelief, with in that moment Gunter spoke with firmness "yes". They all looked along the pages and that's when Ula extended the hand. Her index finger with hesitates slowly tapped the blood hand. The blood glowed but faded as quick as light. "Try the whole hand?" List said "I've seen magic and it takes more than that to activate it". The captain wavered her head bobbing side to side and then she stopped. She placed her hand a pawn the blood rite.


Once the hand was fully on there was the sound of crumpling paper was heard. The veins and muscles bulged as the sound of swirling wind formed around their ears as well. Ula's face showed struggle and pain became a physical manifestation across her face. Teeth greet and a tug of her arm but it did not move. They twitched forward but she turned with a glare as if you were looking at the devil "don't move!" She said. They stained with unnerving looks as a fire light glowed under the hand. Not long after she removed her hand and it burned but didn't kill. She looked calmly "well s**t" she said with a sight to her flames. The fire was wide and radiated.


 "What is it?" Alvar asked. "It's a rune that is made of blood it seems. It's a rune I but I think it's a masters for it has three circles that over lap each other with differing sizes". She answered turning her hand and showed the power. It doesn't bleed but it was a glow of red. "Yup, That is a master rune but it looks like it's an alternating rune" the strong man scratched his stumbled chin. "alternative?" "Yes you can combine elements with that, but more importantly you do know how to use magic?" "Yes I was a fire user" she said coming her hair. "Good that lessens the burden at least" and the four laughed. But it was quickly over as there was a large crash. They could not originate were it came from but it wasn't good.


Not long after the crash and the crew moved toward the door. A voice of a ghastly chuckle made them jump and turn on a dime. "Who's there?" Gunter said quick drawing the gun off the desk and looked to the other door. "Did I scare you?" The voice said as a figure formed on the barrel of the gun. A small crystal spirit arose as if reanimated. It stood short and thin, looking at us with only one eye hole. "What's your name?" Ula said drawn to it and leaning close. "Skybreaker, I'm this ships propose" it's voice was young and its body smooth clippings. It walked closer to the gunner "good reaction time, you'll be good". Gunter cocked the second gun, "don't shoot if you don't want this ship sinking" the remnant said.


Ula got face to face with it and asked "what are you exactly?". It turned to the giant that was east of it and spoke, "well I am the heart of this ship and now revived by the blood of the skybreaker family. I can officially rebuild this legacy". The small gem flailed its arm proudly after speaking. "Why are you small and a gem?" Gunter asked putting away the guns and letting the spirit step off to the desk. The crystal turned and answered "I'm just revived, i have no energy left, isn't it obvious. Anyways I'm spirit of physical energy from a thing of pure power" "so a stone from a Titan's heel, you could say" Alvar cut in. "indeed" the turquoise stone agreed as it walked over to the middle of the desk. "Ah the ring of sky"


"What about it?" The women asked. "Wear it and it'll allow you to find what you need". She walked over picked up the ring. Looking it over again she put it on. "Now captain of the skybreaker what do you want to do" the gem bowed before her. She looked up a bit bush and saw the others down with respect. "As your captain I say..." That sudden point there was a crash. The sound of wood snapped all around them. Black claws and sounds of growling moans were heard. "NIGHT STALKERS!" She yelled "TO ARMS!" The women back flipped over the desk and threw the weapons to the rest. Gunter already opened fired sending ballista of bullets.


Claws crashed through the windows and growls of blood were heard. The remnant stretched and could just barely be heard from the guns and teeth, "is that so? To arms? As you wish" the crystal said. The captain looked down and it was gone. The ring glowed with much pain. The manifestation of light said one word... "Sorry". Her face loss color and she fell trying to cling to the desk. Sharp needles of pain formed all the way up to the shoulders. Alvar ran over and put an arm around her as he was under the pit. "You ok?!" She shuttered a nod with faint eyes. The beasts barged in to a sight for all eyes. There on the desk was a harpoon gun with 4 barrels but only one projectile. "Grab it!" A voice spoke. Gunter looked over.



Chapter 4 "Power polarity"

Gunter slid over under a swiping claw and grabbed the rifle. Once cocked he heard many gears spin and turn. "FIRE" the vastly voice yelled. With a pull and a crush the hammer landed letting go a bane of all things. The blast shot out the torpedo that split in air to four spears. The sound of guts and bones snapped and twitched. To the crews relief the gun did its job. The sound of growls faded as the other one ran. "That's right! You better!" Alvar shouted in glory. "Celebrate later you idiot, there's people needing help" the voice of the gunner echoed. The captain in her chair out of breath and in dire heat looked up. List was scrapped a bit. The young froze up.


Gunter on the other hand was deathly wounded from the other claw. His leg was seen gutted wile he laid in a broken barrel. "Some one gunna help me?" He's voice extruded different ways. The buff walked over and threw him over the shoulder "let's go!". The door locked before them, "no, you best put him on the table" the ship spoke "Come on". List turned around and the table was cleared. The captain sat back in the chair a bit lighter in tone. Alvar sat across in another chair holding the book. One seat left list laid the member down and sat back. "What now!" He yelled. "Well someone dose care, hehe" skybreaker said walking over to the leg.


The strong man snared a glare at it. "It's a joke, I was made to fit all needs. Fighter, medic, and captain are my main qualities" "so you can fix him?" Ula asked. The crystal was silent with a no as an answer. Then it finally spoke "not in this form but I can help him but first" the remnant looked and extended its arm. The harpoon faded and with it the body fell to the sea. "Ya it's kick back was a bit over kill but it's meant to be mounted all over the ship" it explained "with the power I syphoned I can make manifest things with this power but it was a toll on the taken or the time it's around. For your friends here I can only see one thing. To bind my self to him as a catalyst".


Gunter sat up "wouldn't that hurt and are there any side affects?" "Naturally there will be a bit of pain and yes there are. As I become a part of you I will drain a bit of your energy but once I leave or enter you might gain... Things" "what things" he asked turning his head and narrowing his eyes. "Let's say you might turn to crystal" "hmm... Better than dead or loss of a limb, I'm already loosing feeling below my waist". The spirit stepped into the wound. "Ah your body's so weak and fragile. What to do, what to do" the apparition said slowly slicing his leg open even deeper. The man grinned teeth in the loss of more blood. "Got it! There's the tendons and bone. Now then some one get a cloth in his mouth this is going to sting".


List took off his tank top, rolled it and shoved it in. With tears of loss  in the eyes he clenched the gunner's shoulders. He sighed deeply and spoke "it'll be quick". Ula tried not to stare wile the boy was afraid as well. Clenching the book harder not liking away. The soul crystalized on the bone as it grabbed the dead weight and pulled the skin closer. The rock grew stabbing and sealing the body to normal-ish standards. After the minutes of surgery all was silent. "How do you feel?" Ula asked standing and stretching. Spitting the cloth out he answered "ya...F..f...fine" with a grit smile.


He leaned up and rubbed the leg. "It's fine i think with num feeling of were I'm touching" "like how it's asleep?" List said smiling. "Ya" the man said ever watching with dissipate. "Alright that's enough with all this talk it's getting dark and we have work tomorrow. I think we over staid our visit" the captain said opening the door to the lower deck "There's enough bunks for you down here". The men went down as Gunter was carried with. She closed the door and looked out to sea. "How to repair that wall. Dam" the female muttered. "Ehem", she turned "I'd like to exchange some words privately." "Go then". He breathed in and out, then spoke. 


"I'm afraid of losing him, we went through hell and he changed mentally. I'm afraid he won't be the same, the same when we were young" "you an older brother?" "No but we both were bunkers at an shipyard. At age 6 he was sent to were I worked when I was 10. We became friends as I showed him the ropes. He wasn't great but had an eye for detail. He was a kid like all the others. After the loss of our recent captain he was always bin on edge and planing no matter what one step ahead. Until now, things got past his finger and I think he's wondering how he will be in the next week but also what we will be like". Ula walked over patted his shoulder "ya I know that all to well. My grandpa was the same, looking out for other". 


"There's something the skybreaker legacy held. For every death of the ship's owner they dig their own graves, but only for the next to continue. They share a story but also wisdom on their stones, some of it I would've never known. No matter how they went or what they were like they held their heads high for others to follow the same" Ula said grievingly. "Thank you" "don't thank me yet" she said walking away "thank me when your awake in the morning after you stay up all night looking after him you baboon". He cracked a smile and looked back with interest. "It's not the first time I know this" she added walking down the hall. For that night, the souls were quite.


The moon rose high above the Neptune's body but that night was like no other. The moon seemed to pulse with death and was lit as a fire. The blood moon was lit and didn't waiver. List was up watching over the boy as the moon rose. He looked out in disbelief, "can we just have a break..." He sighed. With the haze of hatred forming of mist through the sky's and seas. A ship was heard splitting water as it raced threw the horizon. The ship sounded off a horn that shook the sea miles in radius. The blast sounded as a thousand horrible things laughed in sink and could make a vortex if amplified. "What! The Sundered Gallows! I though that was a myth!" The one said. 


It's said that it can float back up from its grave every blood moon. It slaughters all to only have them risen again as tortured souls with in the gallery of the ship. It's a dead freater itself but for their cursed captain, a blood doctor, wouldn't let go of it. Sacrificing the whole crew to cover the sunder in blood and souls. The witchier became a soul vortex as a skull covered in glowing red runes. To this day it comes if the moon is the same as it's burning hate to dam all that live in its harvesting grounds. The boat is a large one that's made out of holes and rot wood but still there it floats. Decorated with skulls and cages the gallows travels the waters to the soon dead.

© 2017 HardShepard


Author's Note

HardShepard
Rate or not, IDK about it, i just bin wanting to post this so others can see and read them. I would like positive writers feedback about what i should change or keep. And no i don"t care about spelling right now. Also i like to tie in things in my stories, Spoiler: check what the character's names mean.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on July 17, 2017
Last Updated on July 17, 2017
Tags: Anime, Fantasy, Pirate

Author