The Arch-Duke of Framingham

The Arch-Duke of Framingham

A Story by Lawrence Williams
"

3.27.2021

"

The Arch-Duke of Framingham

 

War was announced, battles were fought, wine was then drunk. The Duke wiped the remainder of the wine from his beard and stood at the head of the table. “The campaign was a success, and even though we have lost some long standing brothers, we drink tonight in grievous and celebration of their lives.”

“Hail!” the audience of squires and knights said as one.

      The feast was gobbled up like the men haven't eaten in weeks.

The Arch-duke of Framingham motioned his muscular yet average shouldered body to the his sleeping quarters, but before he could make it he saw a penny on the ground.

The duke bent over to admire the penny, and was lost in thought. 30 years ago, he was a poor boy whose father died in his youth and he made money for his sister by taking a job as a  parchment maker. Blending the pulp to then flatten and make the sheet, then bringing the sheets to their delivery location. He was tipped with a penny by many of his customers, and was lost in how happy he was with this gift at the age of 9.

The duke grasped the penny and put it in his pocket, and continued his way to the sleeping quarters.

He sat over the side of the bed, and then was lost in thought again. Now a champion to his people. His sister dead 6 years ago from childbirth. No heir. Woke up certain mornings wishing he would die in battle.

As his mind drifted further, he placed the penny heads side up on his counter, and then lay in his cot. Not a fancy cot, for he remained modest since a young age, but slightly better than the military quarters.

He did not become alert, but drifted further until he slept.

© 2021 Lawrence Williams


Author's Note

Lawrence Williams
Sort of a test just to see how long I can write in story format in one shot. Like a freestyle. If you want to give me some advice I'd be thankful.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

" If you want to give me some advice I'd be thankful."
Continue the test. Fill in the blanks. What are the blanks? How did he get from paper maker to Duke. What caused the war? Who is the defeated enemy? Does the enemy have a chance of resurgence? Who is waiting to usurp his authority? Does he have a girlfriend? Boyfriend? Arch enemy? Does he smoke? How much?
Answer the questions you find interesting. Cause him trouble. Let us see him overcome trouble.


Thanks for sharing.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
1 Review
Added on March 28, 2021
Last Updated on March 28, 2021