her life

her life

A Story by Harry Alston
"

Life story of a young girl who loses her mother.

"

We sat by the pond and the water would tickle our toes. As the sun’s warmth kisses our backs you would tell me about how much you missed your Mum. I’d tell you that wherever she was right now she missed you too. Smiling, you’d grip my hand.

On the first day of secondary school parents would stand at the gate and say goodbye. Mother’s would give affectionate kisses and hugs: faces would turn red. Father’s would offer awkward ruffles of hair and shoulder pats: smiles would break out. I gave you both.

I remember your first A grade like it was yesterday; you ran up the path with a delightful little grin on your face and I was so proud of you. We went and got ice cream floats at Sam’s. That night we watched all the films you wanted to watch and I read you your favourite story. Falling over in the egg and spoon race came next, but you picked yourself up and carried on; you lost, but that didn’t matter. You didn’t really lose because you’ve never been lost. You just carry on.

On your first date �" with Joe, do you remember him? �" I put on your eyelashes even though you looked beautiful without them. You spent hours in front of the mirror. I sat with you and smiled when you came home after he told you he loved you. I sat with you and cried when he didn’t any more. As you sniffed and dried your eyes, I told you he wasn’t worth it.

I watched you study and stress; teenage angst and the pressure of exams flourishing into tears. I bought you coffee and ice cream, but sometimes when the world became too much we would lock ourselves away for a while and cry until we felt better again. In the end the smile on your face made it all worth it.

We’d talk about your parents a lot and I’d tell you that you have your Dad’s eyes. Sometimes we didn’t even need words and we would sit in silence with the old battered photo album: after a few hours you would fall asleep on my shoulder and I’d brush the hair out of your face.

You work a lot. You are dedicated to your job. You move out and I have to let you go. You grow up so quickly and for a long time, I don’t see you. I miss you but I keep your room perfect. Every now and then I sit on your bed and remember. All of a sudden you are back in my life and you come and visit me and your Granddad every other week. You’re a woman now, but we still watch films and play games and cook good food. You tell us all about the man you met at work, his name is Charlie and he’s wonderful: one year you bring him over for Easter.

On your wedding day I look back at the handsome young man you first bought home at Easter and realise how much you’ve both changed �" yes, you too Charlie. You look beautiful in your dress and your eyes tell a fantastic story: you are the happiest I have ever seen you. I cried a lot that day wishing your Mum was here to see how gorgeous you looked. But I know she was watching.

I brought you a lot of ginger beer as your bump first started to show: it was the only thing you’d drink. You were so excited. We talked for hours and hours over what we should call the little baby girl; after endless nights of debate, we decide on Lucy; after your Mother. When Lucy finally arrived I remember looking down on you and you looked up at me with such a delicate smile; my heart fluttered because it reminded me so much of your Mother. Even now I can see her in you.

And, although I won’t be around for much longer, I know everything is going to be okay. Life is fixed. You have your own family; your own daughter. Teach her about the world. Keep her strong and happy. I’m just sad I won’t get to see her grow and blossom into the beautiful young woman she is bound to be. You’re going to do great. I love you.

Thanks for making this old lady proud.

© 2012 Harry Alston


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wooow..a wonderful and very touching write..loved the way you said a whole life story in brief..all the important memories and all those moments which are near to heart..well done

Posted 11 Years Ago


Harry Alston

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, and thanks for the add too! Check out some of my other writing if you're up for i.. read more
Cerise

11 Years Ago

sure...ur welcome....am always up for it...:)...give me time..:)
This is beautiful and touching. It's not an overdone dramatic sort of thing but it's real and it highlights the times in life one's really going to remember, even if such aren't what we think are the most important when we're going through. It's wonderfully loving and true. Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Harry Alston

11 Years Ago

No, thank you.
So touching, and sweet a wonderful story full of love and truth.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Harry Alston

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, means a lot!
This was so very touching. I mean, I really felt connected to this story. It was written in such a way to pull the reader in and make them feel like a part of it. I loved the time gaps; they weren't random or confusing. It all flowed wonderfully.

My parents are still here with me, but I was always closest with my grandmother. I think I'll send her this and I know she'll love it as much as I did. :)



Posted 11 Years Ago


Harry Alston

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it and could connect with it :)
like it

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is such a lovely storyl It was touching; it was beautifu; it bought tears to my eyes, and that doesn't happen often. I read a lot of overdone drama on here, but this is not.
O would suggest that you use care with your apostrophes. Don't make "Mothers" and "Fathers" possessive unless they are.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Harry Alston

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I am moved that it touched you that much. I will go over and do a bit of editing,.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 7, 2012
Last Updated on October 7, 2012
Tags: short story happy inspirational

Author

Harry Alston
Harry Alston

Maidstone, Kent, United Kingdom



About
Egocentric Scribbler. If you comment on my work, I will definitely return the favour. Every comment is appreciated and the feedback is lovely. Young writer from England - 17 going on dead, I lik.. more..

Writing
Roland I Roland I

A Story by Harry Alston



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..