The Conversation

The Conversation

A Story by Haunzwürthe
"

"All gave some, some gave all. Some stood through for the red, white, and blue and some had to fall..." BRC

"

[thump...thump...thump...]

 

Her ear pressed against his chest. He was talking to her. All else was silent beyond her voice and his heart. Her head slowly rose with his every breath. She had been talking to him since he got back, selfishly reassuring him. His heartbeat sped and slowed with her voice, the only sign from the tubes and bandages that he could hear her.

 

[thump...thump...]

 

Tears ran down her cheek and onto his chest. She was lying but the tears weren't. He knew it just as well as she did. She told herself that those lies had kept them together for a few moments longer, precious, unforgettable moments. She told him of Jamie's hit in T-Ball...

 

[thump, thump, thump, thump]

 

...and how happy he'd be knowing his dad would be there to watch.

 

[thump...]

 

She was holding out until the end. She wanted to say it so much; it was the one thing he wanted to hear. She couldn't bring herself to say it yet, there were still moments left.

 

[thump...thump]

 

She talked about the house, the car, and the presents he had sent for Christmas. How the dog had-

 

[thump........thump.........]

 

The monitor stopped beating and the nurse had gone. It was time. Fresh tears poured and she closed her eyes. He had to hear it. She brought the words to her lips, holding them, running them over her tongue one last time.

 

"I love you."

 

[...........thump...........]

 

He took one last breath and left her in that moment to reclaim his legs from the battlefield.

© 2011 Haunzwürthe


Author's Note

Haunzwürthe
I am thankful to have made it to my 5th deployment unscathed. To those that were not and will not be so fortunate...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is amazing. I love the title, the beginning, the middle, the end. It's sad, but it's heartfelt and pure. This is love in its truest form. Great job, hun.

Posted 12 Years Ago


beautiful, nt many can write the moment before death so vividly and truely, sad bt great

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 8, 2011
Last Updated on October 8, 2011

Author

Haunzwürthe
Haunzwürthe

Bland, VA



About
-------------------------------- I am Mark but Haunzwürthe is more fun. -------------------------------- A brand new life sputtering in the wake of a broken family and the dissipating path o.. more..

Writing