Negative Nancy

Negative Nancy

A Story by Hayden
"

Poor Henry :(

"

Tick tock goes the clock, time is running out. The phrase flashed in my head. I shook his hand and excitedly thanked him saying, “Sir, you won’t regret this. Cybernet is the best security there is.”  

“It better be, that’s what I pay 5 million a year for!” He laughed and returned my excitement. He was a big and cuddly man, and this was his greatest weakness. It was almost too easy. I used his low self-esteem and ego to get to what I was after�"his wallet. Oh sir, but we need you! It was all just company mumbo jumbo really. I’m a multi-billionaire CEO of the biggest cyber security company in the US. Not all contracts are as easy to secure, but-- 

“Mr. Walsh?” My assistant called out from my doorway.  

I stepped out of my thoughts and smiled at her asking, “What is it, Theresa? I hope it’s good because I must say, I’ve had a rather good day so far.”  

She rolled her eyes at me, “You’re the most successful CEO in this century. A 5-million-dollar contract isn’t exactly the catch of the day.” 

I laughed and sat down in my luxury leather desk chair, “It’s not the prize that excites me. I just missed the game. Analyzing people and what their weaknesses are is an exciting hunt to me. Unfortunately, it’s not one that I get to go on often.” She sat across the glass desk in the same chair my newest client was sitting in, intensely analyzing me. 

“I feel like you have a sadistic obsession with hunting and analyzing people. It’s a little strange,” she commented, “i-in a good way though...of course.” She looked down and scrolled through her tablet as a I chuckled at her. Sometimes she could be so high-strung. I just shrugged and played with a stress ball that I always had on me. It was cute. It’s just a generic tabby cat, but I had it since I first took over Cybernet and every deal was almost like a lifeline. Old habits die hard. Theresa cleared her throat and read to me, “You have a meeting with Riley and the other board members starts in 5. And then….it looks like that’s it. Huh, easy day? Oh wait, the one employee from Kansas is here at 1. Don’t want to forget that.” She laughed a bit. 

I stood up and buttoned my jacket with a smile asking, “Ah, you mean Ben? Yeah, did I tell you about that?” She shook her head. I continued, “Well, I was looking over the servers and stuff because a king has to be seen around his people and blah blah blah. But I heard that there was an attack and Ben Allard stopped it pretty much single handedly. I give credit where it’s due, so I’m handsomely rewarding his good work.” 

“With what?” She questioned. 

“750,000-dollar bonus.” I waved goodbye to her as she shook her head at me. The recently modernized building was gorgeous, and I never failed to appreciate the work that went into it. All the walls had some special detail about them. For example, the wall behind my assistant’s desk was a panel that changed color. I took notice of her choice today: Blue. The board meeting room was only down the hall from my office. The other members were there by the time I got there. My presence commanded them into silence, so I laughed to make it light, “Fellas, how are we this month? Riley, you look great, bud.”  

They all laughed and sat down when I did. Riley, by my right, hit my shoulder and asked, “So how’s the wife.”  

If it were anyone else, I’d strictly remind them that this is a professional setting, but Riley is the only exception. Sarcastically, I joked, “Great. Never better.” 
He winced, “That bad?” 

I shook my head, “No, but she’s been on my a*s about the drinking thing. Wants me at home more.” Before he responded, a senior board member stood up and presented us with the quarter’s sales numbers. We were meeting and exceeding all our quotas. It was a good quarter for us, and the new training protocols implemented last month seemed to be going well. Nothing was amiss. The board meeting was boring otherwise as it was the same points repeated over and over. Tick tock goes the clock, time is running out. My thoughts were interrupted by that phrase again. I shook my head and just kept going. I was going crazy, maybe it’s from a movie I watched as a kid. 

Henry! Snap out of it.” Theresa shook me again.  

I blinked a few times and realized that the meeting was over. I smiled, “Sorry, I was thinking about Kristy.” I lied. 

Theresa frowned, but kept her cold hand on my shoulder for a second. She and I made eye contact for a split second and I saw concern-real concern- in her hazelnut eyes. It creeped me out, so I shook her off and looked at Riley, “What? Did you say something?” 

He nodded, “I was going to invite you out for a quick drink after your PR stunt today, but I guess that’s off the table.” 

I shrugged, “I’ll go, but I need to be back by dinner. I told Kristy that I’d take her out because she’s been nagging for days. I think she just wants attention since I’ve been gone so much lately.” 

Riley nodded so I got up and left to go meet with Ben and reward him. Honestly, he saved my business. If he hadn’t stopped the attack, our biggest server would have been gone which means we would have lost some big clients. He deserved the money and whatever else I could do to thank him. The meeting was on the first floor, so I made my way to the executive elevator, saying “Hey” to everyone on the way. I loved the gold and marble elevator. I designed it myself when I was promoted to CEO. On the side opposite of the doors hung a picture of a man that I’ll never forget�"Jacque Amador.  

*** 

I sat at my desk outside of Jacque’s office, working on getting potential clients to come and meet with me. Jacque let me close deals because he was so busy. It became something I looked forward to every day. My phone buzzed obnoxiously so I flipped it over to see a text from Kristy. I chuckled as I read it, “Tonight could be the night babe!”  

I quickly replied, “I have a good feeling about it! You’ll be a mom before the end of the year, I promise that 😉 

I didn’t get a chance to see her response before my pager went off. I didn’t even have to look at it to know it was Jacque because he was the only one that still used a pager. I grabbed my notepad and quickly went to his door. I barely cracked it open before Jacque yelled, Ah, Henry! Come in! I have great news!” Jacque waved me in with his million-dollar smile on his face. I closed the heavy mahogany door and sat down in front of his desk. 

He was on his computer and then I noticed his lawyer standing to Jacque’s left with a stoic face. This felt more professional than usual After a second of silence, I cleared my throat and quietly asked, “Uh Sir? The great news?” 

He heartily laughed, “I’m getting older Henry. I mean, this skin,” He held up his hand that was shriveled by time, “Used to be a smooth Carmel and now…well, you can see it. Anyways you’ve always been like a son to me. I didn’t teach anyone else the trade like I taught you. I can see your generosity and kindness. I can also see you love this company more than anything you’ve done before. Can I trust you?” 

Of course, Jacque.” I replied instantly. 

He stood up and buttoned his jacket, so I stood up as well. He laughed and congratulated me, “Son, you just closed the best deal of your entire life!” 

I shook his strong hand, “I-I don’t understand. What deal?” 

He had the biggest smile, “After I leave, you will be the next CEO of Cybernet. I put it in my will to make sure no one would question it. When I pass, you’ll have everything I had at your disposal. Congratulations, Henry.” 

I was in utter shock. Jacque left me everything he had. I couldn’t say anything else, “T-Thank you sir, I won’t let you down. I swear it by my life.” 

He laughed, “I know Henry, you love this place too much to let it go down.” He walked around his desk and gave me a hug. I hugged back and it was the best hug I’d ever had. 

*** 

I smiled at his picture one more time before the elevator opened to reveal the large crowd of reporters waiting in the press room down the hall. The walls were mostly glass, so the press saw me immediately and I them. They called at to me for questions and comments. There was a walkway the split the crowd in half and there was stage where Ben was standing. He looked like he was about to s**t his pants. Before I was even halfway to the stage, Theresa was behind me with her signature tablet. 

Theresa, is the check ready behind stage?” I asked and adjusted my cuffs. 

“Yessir. Say the word and it’ll be brought out.”  

I stopped and looked at her with a smile, “You do a lot for the company, are you coming with us today? To celebrate all of the long nights we put in.” 

She was obviously surprised but gave a familiar smile and nodded before she went to go stand with the other associates. I smiled and walked on stage to greet the savior of Cybernet. 

“Ben?” 

He nodded, “Yes sir.” 

I  had him sit on one of the tall chairs. When the press settled down enough, I announced, “Ben, you saved my business and livelihood and I can’t show you enough gratitude. Cybernet is all about security you can trust and it’s people like you that make that true. I want you to know that I appreciate you and all of the other employees like you, so I want to give you something.” 
His eyes widened and his face turned red as he stuttered out, “S-Sir. I-I�"” 

I held up my hand and chuckled, “No, really. This is the least I can do for you.”  

They brought out the big check with 750,000 dollars on it and Ben stood up, freaking out. He started to break down, so I went to him and clapped his back, “You deserve this. Please, accept it. From me personally.”  

He could barely talk, “I-I’m so…. I can’t believe�"” 

“Well, believe cause it’s here. And because of you, everyone in your office is getting a dollar raise as another token of appreciation.” 

He didn’t say anything that time, he just hugged me. I laughed a little bit and hugged him back. After a second, we broke apart and posed for the cameras. After a minute of that I shook his hand again. We sat again and answered some press questions. I saw Riley in the hallway, pointing at his watch. That was my queue to head out and end this. I stood up and shook Ben’s hand saying, “I have to go now, but please stay in the hotel near here and take my jet back to Kansas. I appreciate you, Ben.” I left and briskly walked back to Riley. “I couldn’t get him to accept the damn check for a minute there.” 

Riley laughed, “People like them care about money more than we do. Be understanding, Henry.”  

“Always.” I assured and sarcastically smiled as we both got in the elevator and went back up to my office.  

Riley shook his head and let me be irritated at his criticism. I knew he was right; Riley always was. I sighed and conceded, “Fine, Riley. You’re right, I should keep my mind more open.” 

He clapped my shoulder with has stupid grin, “Damn right.” 

I grabbed my coat and briefcase from my office, and we headed out. Our go to bar always was and will be Good fortune’s tavern. It was rustic and old-fashioned. It had been established back when LA was still a little village. It was funny because the owner of the bar was always female and always called Miss Fortune. It always made me chuckle a bit. Riley and I walked into and sat at the bar. Miss Fortune came over, “Boys.” 

In unison, we greeted, “Miss fortune.” 

“What’s the occasion today?” 
Riley laughed, “Miss fortune, you know us. Do we need an occasion to get the best beer in the city?”  

She rolled her eyes and poured us our usual. Riley admired her hourglass figure as she walked away to help someone else. He kind of hit me, “You have to admit, she looks good in those jeans.” 

I looked at her. She wore light blue skinny jeans and a yellow blouse with her black apron around her waist. Her blonde hair had streaks of brown in its waves. I nodded and took a gulp of beer, “Oh yeah. She does.” I rubbed my stubbled chin. I almost felt bad for drinking when Kristy hated it so much.  

Theresa interrupted my thoughts by putting her hand on my shoulder, “Henry.” 

I smiled, “Ah, Theresa! Nice of you to join us.” I looked her up and down and realized that she was still in her work clothes. She was in her usual black slacks and bright blouse with a jacket over it. “Did you come straight from the office?” 

She stopped smiling and closed her jacket a little bit, “Yeah, I had to finish up some stuff with the press. I-I should go change, I did--” 
She started to get up, but I grabbed her arm and pulled her back gently, “No, no, you’re fine Theresa. You look...good.” I cringed. I felt bad for complimenting her like that. Kristy was my wife, not Theresa. I cleared my throat and looked away from her smiling face, asking Riley, “So? What were we talking about?” 

“Your wife and how she’d hate this? I dunno man, that’s probably it though.” 

I couldn’t remember, “Yeah, probably.” I took another gulp of my beer, letting myself fade into the familiar numbness. 

The next thing I knew, Riley and I were in an Uber, on my way back to the estate that was Jacque’s. It was dark out and I knew I wasn’t going to remember anything the next morning. Riley pushed me out of the car to my modern style mansion. I laughed like crazy for no reason as I climbed my shallow stone stairs. The big wooden door opened before I could even touch it and I thought that I was going crazy. That the alcohol finally poisoned me, and this was it. However, it was Kristy who opened the door. She was in her pajamas and had her arms crossed. I gave her a dopey grin and slurred out, “Hey babe, I-I just went out or a little bit to celebrate. It wers. . .was a really good day today.” 

She critically narrowed her eyes, “And how long did you celebrate for? You’re shitfaced again!”  

I pushed past her and stumbled my way into the living room. I waved my hand to dismiss her, but then I remembered that she’s not Theresa. “Henry, you promised that we’d have dinner together tonight. You’re gone all the time and when you are home, you come home drunk!” 

“Nag, nag, nag! I’m home, arn’t I? And I’m not even dat-that- drunk. If you wan to have dinner together then les...have dinner! Did you make anything?” I got up and stumbled to the kitchen fridge on the second level of my mansion. There wasn’t anything made in there for dinner except the leftovers. 

“It’s 11 O’ Clock at night, Henry! Why would I want dinner with you now? It’s too late and you’re drunk.” She face-palmed and shook her head, obviously frustrated. 

I didn’t care though, I just yelled louder, “Well Kristy, maybe if you’d back off, I wouldn’t need to get drunk all the time! Jeez, you’re nagging on me all the fuckin’ time and I’m so done. By the time I’m ready to come home, I don’t want to cause my wife is being a b***h all the time! You ever use that big brain of yours to think about that? Huh?”  

I intensely stared at her and watched a flash of pain go across her face. It was gone in a second though and fury replaced it, “My father was right about you! You’re a lazy, self-absorbed, douchebag and quite frankly,” she paused and got quiet, “I don’t know what I ever saw in you.” She ran away and hid.  

I grabbed the closest object near me and chucked it right at the fridge. Being in the house became suffocating so I left and went to Good Fortune’s Tavern for the second time that day. I briskly walked back in and sat on a stool, smacking the counter to signal to Miss Fortune. She waltzed to me since there were only a couple of others there. “Back already? If I didn’t know better, I’d say you have a drinking problem.” She poured a beer for me and handed it to me, watching me gulp it down. “That was fast, you want another?”  

I let my eyes wonder around her body, or at least the parts I could see and then I smirked and said, “Actually, no. I want something else. What’re you doing later?” 

She bit her bottom lip and replied, “It depends, what do you want?” 

I looked straight into her eyes, “You. 

The ends of her lips curled into a devilish smile as she teased, “And what if I say no?” 

I leaned in, “You’d make your number one customer so sad.” 

She scoffed and rolled her azure eyes, “I guess I wouldn’t want that. Maybe I can get Sam to cover for me while I...tend to a customer.” 

I smirked, “Let’s meet somewhere more private. There’s a motel just down the road.” 

She grabbed a hand towel and put it over her shoulder, “I’ll see you there soon then.” She walked away and I could’ve sworn she was swaying her hips just for me. As I walked down the desolate LA road, my drunk mind drifting off towards my fight with Kristy. I couldn’t shake off what she said. I gave her a mansion and everything she ever wanted but somehow, I was still the bad guy It didn’t make sense. None of it did. I was lost in my angry thought when the phrase interrupted them. Tick tock goes the clock, time is running out. It was louder than before and I couldn’t take it anymore. I screamed at the mysterious voice, “Shut up! Shut the fuck up already! I get it!” Hurling myself at a nearby trash can in an alley, I heaved it violently into the alley. The only sound I could hear after that was the banging of that stupid can as it hit the cold ground. I sat still for a second to make sure the voice disappeared and continued my merry business.   

I got to the motel and sluggishly walked over the front desk to get a room. Eventually, I wandered my way to the room but stayed outside and watched for Miss Fortune. Slouching over the railing, I pulled out a cigarette and fed my nicotine addiction. Before I got three puffs in, My phone went off and saw it was Kristy. I scoffed at her and her attempt to talk to me after what she said. Why was she even reaching out to me if I wasn’t the man she fell in love with? I sent her to voicemail and took another big puff of my cigarette. Miss Fortune's giggle registered in my ears and I realized she was right behind me. Her soft hands ran down my chest then to my abs, but before she got any lower, I spun around and grabbed her hands. She giggled as I planted a series of kisses on her neck. Between the kisses I softly asked, “Can we take this inside?” I left two more kisses before breaking away and leading her to the room for a night of forbidden bliss. 

Sunlight shone through the window and illuminated the wooden, dingy motel room. I covered my face with my arm and looked beside me, seeing misfortune naked in the bed laying on me. I was utterly disgusted. Miss Fortune was sprawled out on the bed with her head resting on my chest. Her clothes were on the floor close to the bathroom and She smelt like weed and beer. I couldn’t believe it. I really had sex with Miss Fortune. It was completely and utterly unacceptable and wrong. Clutching the blankets to me, I got up, grabbed my phone and went into the gross bathroom. I turned on the phone and tried to call Kristy. I missed 3 of her calls during my stay with Miss Fortune. She didn’t answer the phone which was weird for her. Although, it wouldn’t have been weird if I said something stupid. I always say stupid things when I’m drunk and I was at a whole new level now. I cheated on her. I cheated on my wife. It was so wrong. Miss Fortune rapped lightly on the door asking, “Henry? Are you okay? Do you need help?” 

Hyperventilating, I said harshly, “No, I don’t. I need my wife. Leave.” 

“A*****e,” She yelled as she drifted away from the door.  

I didn’t dare come out until I knew she was gone. After I left the bathroom and sat on the bed, my phone rang again. I didn’t even look at the ID before yelling, “Kristy is that you? Whatever I did I’m so--” 

A man’s voice cut me off, “No, Mr. Walsh. I’m doctor Nuse.” His cold and almost robotic voice chilled me to the core. He continued, “I’m sorry to tell you this, but your wife--” 

My own internal voice overpowered his, Tick Tock goes the clock, your time has run out. Tears overflowed and leaked from my eyes as Doctor Nuse droned on, “There was a car crash and you lost them both. I’m very sorry for your loss.” 
 

I snapped out of my trance for a split second to murmur, “B-Both?” 

It seemed like a million years before he answered, “Yes sir. Your wife was pregnant. She was about 3 months in.” 

Another piece of me shattered and seemed to leave. I had a child and I threw it all away because I made Kristy feel unsafe in her own home. I hung up and threw the phone, breaking down. I mourned the loss of my soulmate and child. In less than 24 hours, my entire family died. My phone emitted a beep and said, “You have 2 new messages. First message, ‘Henry?’” Her soft and perfect voice echoed in the tiny motel room. I held the phone close as she kept talking, “’Henry, I wish you’d answer your phone. What I said was...out of line and I feel bad. You’re not off the hook, but I need you to come home because I can’t leave it like this. I can’t stand being mad at you. I’m sorry, honey. I love you. Call me back, okay? It’s getting late and I-I'm worried about you.’ Next message, “Hey Henry, I know you’re probably at that bar, so I’ coming to get you. If only you’d answer the phone, so I’d know that you're not passed out somewhere in this damn city. I’m so sorry about what I said. I still love you and always will and I won’t let this fight linger any longer. Just wait at the cbar and give me 20 minutes. Also, puke before you get in the car, okay? Oh, and, try to stay alive for me. I don’t want you dying out there. [small laughter] Sorry, I shouldn’t have laughed. I love you; I’ll see you soon.’ End of messages. Press 1 to delete the messages or press 2 to save them.” I quickly button-mashed 2 and listened to them again...and again...and again. I fell asleep to her lovely, and sweet voice.  

I woke up and it was dark outside. There was still a half a beer from the previous night, and I was desperate, so I drank it and played those damn messages again. It took me all of 2 hours to even get dressed and get out of the bed. When I was finally out of the motel, I walked to Miss Fortune’s Tavern, hoping that she’d still serve me. I poked my head into the bar and saw that she wasn’t even bartending. At least, I still had Miss Fortune’s. The new girl gave me a scotch on the rocks, and I gulped it down quickly. The next thing I knew, I was blubbering to a random guy about my wife. I told him everything and he just..left. He mumbled something as he walked away from my pathetic self, but I didn’t care. The bartender walked back over to me with a glass of water saying, “You’re done for the night. Go home and be with your family or somethin, damn.”  

I scowled and left immediately after that, but I had nowhere to go. I couldn’t go back home to that empty house. It wasn’t home without Kristy. Nowhere was. I was completely and utterly lost. I decided to take a cab to the hospital where my wife was taken instead of going home. I walked into the main entrance and stumbled my way to the front desk. My eyes were red and swollen and I was sure I reeked of alcohol. After a lengthy process of trying to figure out who I was, she was able to hand me off to someone who took me in. They had her body and were waiting for me to start planning a funeral and all of that. I couldn’t though, not yet. The nurse was saying something to me, but I tuned her out and ignored her. It was like the closer we got to Kristy’s body, the more confused and dizzy I became. The halls were wiggling. She brought me into the tiny little morgue. There were 4 metal drawers for bodies on the wall, all labeled so neatly. There was a metal table bolted down in the center of the room, but I didn’t notice much else before the rickety metal drawer was pulled out. I stayed about 5 feet back. I knew it was her even bore the nurse pulled the cloth off her. Her petite body was ruined. I could see there was something wrong with her leg, her right arm and the body was crooked. She was basically maimed and not even the thick cloth could hide it. I cupped the sides of my face when I saw her face. There were stiches everywhere and he nose was broken, I stuttered breathlessly, “H-how could this happen? How d-did this happen?” 

The nurse put her hand on my shoulder, “Are you sure you want to know exactly what happened?” 

I nodded, ‘Yes, I do. Who did this to her? Why her?” 

 

“I don’t know who or why, but I know how. A driver T-boned her into another car next to her. Her car was extremely damaged, and she broke her neck on impact due to how fast the driver was going. She was dead before she knew what happened, so take comfort in that. She didn’t feel any of it.” 

I brushed her cheeks and muttered, “Kristy, I’m so sorry. You deserve much more. I should’ve been the dead one, not you. You’re too good for this stupid, stupid world. Please, come back. I’ll stop drinking just...come back to me.” I broke down again and hugged her as best I could. She was so cold and so stiff. This wasn’t the Kristy I knew and remembered. The nurse pulled me off her after a while and tried to calm me down, but I had to be alone. I walked away from Kristy and the nurse to leave and go somewhere else. Somewhere better. I thought about the office, but I couldn’t let my employees see me like this.  

I called Riley. After 3 rings, he finally picked it up, “What’s up Hen? I’m kinda in a rush here.” 

I wiped my face and let out a shaky breath, “W-Watch the company while I’m gone. I-I'll be back as soon as I can.” It still wasn’t real to me. 

“Wait, what? Hen, what’s going on? Are you okay?” He asked me with concern. 

I laughed and loudly declared, “Fuckin’ Perfect Riley! Absolutely...perfect.” I hung up on him. Sinking to the cold cement ground outside of the hospital, I felt numb. I was feeling so much that I felt nothing. A little girl and her mom were walking into the hospital until the girl stopped and pointed at me. Her mom said something and then scurried her off. 24 hours ago, I had people crowding me. I had men and women wanting to be me, but now...I was a monster to protect your child from. Oh well. 

*** 

I don’t know what I ever saw in you. Her words still swirled around my head. That was the last thing my wife said to me before her death. Why? Because I wasn’t good enough and I had been so awful to her. She never deserved that. The past week was nothing but funeral planning and it was taking a toll on me for sure. I didn’t dare touch her stuff when I finally did come back to the house and didn’t ever plan to. Henry? You there?” Riley yelled through the door. 

I got up from the table where I was making the picture boards and let Riley in. I smiled, “Hey bud.” 

He saw what I was working on and asked, “You’re doing this? Alone? Geez Henry, let me help you.” 

I put a hand on his shoulder, “No. I’ve got this. I’m okay.” 

He sat down at the table and started picking through the pictures anyways. He stopped for a second and looked at me, “Where are her parents? Or siblings? Can’t they do this for you?” 

I put my weight on the back of my chair and sighed, “No, they can’t. She’s an only child and her parents were dicks. I’ll invite them, but they won’t help with the planning.” 

“They’re her parents. Don’t you think they should get a say in their daughter’s funeral?” 

I raised my voice, “No, they don’t. Not after what they put her through. Years and years of misery, abuse, psychological games. You didn’t know her so fuck off!” Images of her hardest nights flashed through my mind. All the times she cried on my chest after a hard day made me wonder why I was even inviting them.  

*** 

“Honey, I’m home! I have great news!” I hung up my coat on the cheap, worn down coat hanger in the entry way of the apartment. She’d be so over the moon about me being the next CEO of Cybernet. I was so excited to tell her. Scanning over the two-seated and worn-down couch in the living room and the dingy kitchen with its flicking light, I saw she wasn’t there. I went down the short hallway to the left to the one and only bedroom in our small apartment. The cherry wood door was cracked open and I heard a whimpering coming from inside the room. It was Kristy. I slowly opened the door and called, “Kristy? Can I come in?” There wasn’t an answer, so I went in. She was crying under our quilt and was curled up in a ball. Rushing to her side, I asked with concern, “Kristy, baby, what’s wrong? Let me help.”  

She paused for a second and came out from under the blanket, staring at me. After a second she clinged to me and pulled me in the bed. I laid down next to her and let her cry on me while rubbing her head and constantly whispering, “It’s okay, It’s okay.”  

After an hour or so, she fell asleep on me and I didn’t dare move. Her tear-stained face was perfectly relaxed, and she finally wasn’t sad. Her dirty blonde hair was a mess, but it made her more beautiful in a way. I smiled and let myself go to sleep with her. I didn’t care that I was in my suit or that she got makeup on it because that moment of peace was worth everything.  

I woke up the next morning before Kristy. She was still laying on me, but half of my body was asleep, so I gently wiggled out from under her. I was making breakfast in a fresh pair of clothes when she walked out of the bedroom with crossed arms. She was still a mess, but there was a sort of elegance in it. I kissed her on the forehead, “Morning Beautiful.” 

She frowned, “I’m not beautiful. My hair’s a mess, my makeup is everywhere--” 
I gave her a look, “You’re darling.” I gave her a big smile and went back to my eggs. 

“I’m sorry if I freaked you out last night. It was just...my parents again.” She plopped on a chair and held her head in her hands.  

“No, you didn’t. We’re married so it’s not like I’m going anywhere babe. I promise.” I had set my eggs down at this point and was sitting across from her. I held her hands and almost begged, “What’s going on? Do you want to talk about it?” 

She looked me in the eyes, bit her lip and then nodded, “Yeah. I think I do. I don’t know if I can be a parent. I see so many similarities between my mom and me. It just freaks me out. What if I hit our kids? What if I can’t control my anger? What if I don’t care about them and leave them to fend for themselves while you’re at work? There are just so many things. I-I don’t want kids anymore. I don’t trust myself. I know that you do and that we’re trying different techniques, but I can’t. Maybe it’s a good thing I’m infertile.” 

I quickly came around the table and pulled her into me, consoling, “Kristy, no. You’re so much better than both combined. The fact that you can see what they did to you is wrong is a huge step in the right direction, but if you aren’t ready then I will wait. I will wait until the end of time for you to be ready because you are worth it. I love you Kristy and don’t forget it.” 

She quietly cried into me. We held on to each other so tight that it felt like we would never separate. I was so lucky to have her, and I’d never forget that. 

*** 

“I’m sorry,” He quietly said with his hands up, “I didn’t know.” 

Just leave.” I looked up to see him staring at me with his wide eyes. It triggered something in me. Anger started to light up my limbs and I stood up to shout, “Get out! Get out, get out, get out! Are you deaf Riley?” 

He scoffed, “Haven’t learned anything have you? If you treat people like s**t, they leave you. One way or another. 

I couldn’t respond. I just watched him walk out the door as all my muscles tensed up. As soon as the door closed, I yelled and threw my chair. The wood didn’t hold on impact, so it shattered on the marble floors of Jacque’s palace. I continued to attack the stupid chair until it was little pieces of wood scattered everywhere. Then, I grabbed the cushion and chucked it somewhere into the living room. I didn’t care to look because I noticed the maid staring at me in fear from an archway leading to the basement. I pulled at my hair and growled at her, “Clean this s**t up. Now!”  

She flinched and got to work while I went out Good Fortune’s. I arrived there to see the one and only Miss Fortune standing there, serving a customer his drink she saw me and raised an eyebrow. She sashayed to me and scoffed, “I hope you’re not expecting me to serve you.” 

I sighed and looked down, “I’m sorry I blew you off like that. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you I was married, but I really need this drink. She-” I paused and winced a little but, “She died a week ago. The night you and I--” I trailed off and let it sit before begging, “Please?” 

“Jesus, I’m sorry. Drinks on me tonight. I’ll be right back, honey.” She turned and sashayed her back to the drinks and pulled out a beer for me from the cooler. She opened it and slid it to me. 

I mumbled, “Thanks,” and took a big swig. Beer was disgusting, it really was. The good news was that it got better the more I drank. So, I guess, the only way to drink beer was in large amounts. A whole night of booze and fun left me feeling depressed and anxious the next morning when I woke up in my own bed with puke in a bucket next to it. The odor was putrid and pungent, so I dumped it in the toilet in the bathroom connected to my bedroom. After the bucket was emptied and rinsed, I opened some of my windows to air out the smell of bile. My phone shrieked from the bedroom, calling me. I picked it up and saw that it was an unknown number. I hesitantly picked it up, “Hello?” 

Hello, I’m looking for a... Mr. Walsh?” It was a gruff and throaty voice.  

I crossed my arms and sat on bed, “Speaking.” 

“Oh, uh, hello Mr. Walsh. My name’s Detective Russo, I’ve been working your wife’s case.” He spoke slowly but also knowingly. 

I waited for him to continue, but he was waiting for me to respond so I quickly prompted him, “Okay. What case?” 

“Well, sir, we were confused why there were two equally battered cars, but only one body. It could’ve been a hit and run or an accident, but cars don’t drive themselves. See where I’m going, sir?” 

He stopped again so I continued to prompt, “Yeah, okay.” 

“Well, we pulled up the traffic camera footage and have determined that the other driver was either stupid or drunk...or both. And we think we have her here, but we need you to ID her. She says that you know her and would vouch for her?” 

This interested me, “Who? Are you sure it’s the driver?” 

“We’re sure of it. Got her on camera but she swears, get this, that she was with you. Theresa May?” 

My assistant? My assistant killed the love of my life. Something snapped in me. I blatantly stated, “I’m on my way there,” and hung up. I had to see it for myself. Maybe it wasn’t my Theresa and it was a random employee. There had to be an explanation. I sped up and weaved around cars to get to the station as fast as I could. When I did finally pull up, I didn’t bother parking, I left my car out front and went in. The front desk worker was busy typing on her computer when I walked in and didn’t even look up. I tried to politely ask for detective Russo, but she just held up a finger to shush me. I scowled and loudly yelled, “Detective. Fuckin’. Russo! Where the hell is he?”  

She looked up, obviously not threatened. She was about to yell right back before she was interrupted, “Mr. Walsh! Uh, right this way, sir. Sorry Kayla, he’s with me.” He waived me up the stairs to follow him, but I flipped off Kayla first. She didn’t even notice. Detective Russo led me up the stairs and into a room with a two-way mirror. I saw her in there. She was all bruised and cut up, but she had her normal work clothes on. It really was my Theresa. She looked pissed.  

“I need to talk to her,” I said in a whisper.  

“Well, I guess so, but 2 minutes.”  

“Off the record, no one listening?” I asked. 

He scowled, “Fine. One minute then.” 

I nodded, still staring, “That’s all I need.” I opened the door and she looked at me. We were both silent, but her eyes were widened and she sat up. I quietly greeted, “Theresa,” and sat down across from her. 

She started to cry, “Henry, I didn’t mean to--” 

“That’s Mr. Walsh to you.” I aggressive interrupted her. She looked hurt so I kept going, “How could you kill the one I loved most? Not to mention my unborn child. Why? Why did you do this to me?” I didn’t shed a single tear. I just waited and watched her break down like I did. I hoped my presence made her crime that much more real. 

Her bottom lip quivered, “I just....I didn’t mean to Mr. Walsh. Have mercy! Mercy!” 

She reached out for me, but I jerked away. “You’re a murderer. You killed her. Why?” She didn’t respond, she just kept whining so I stood up and slammed down on the table, “You will tell me why! I won’t be leaving here without an answer and I will get it out of you, whatever it takes! Do you understand? You w***e, you took away my family! Why? Why, huh? Why!” A single tear escaped my eye in the heavy silence. 

I was only getting started when she snapped, “Because I love you! All you ever did was complain about what a b***h she was! You don’t think I heard all those conversations with Riley when you got into fights with that b***h? I’m your assistant, I know everything! I knew you went out drinking every night to get rid of her because I was the one to go get your water and Advil the next day! I was the one in the corner, the one you never noticed! I thought that if she were out of the picture, I could be with you. That day in the bar, I thought I really had a chance. I thought we had something.” She said the last part quietly and reached for me again, “That’s all I’ve ever wanted, and all I want now.” 

I slapped her hands away and shook my head, “You pathetic b*****d, I hope you have fun rotting in Jail.” I left her moaning and weeping in the interrogation room. When I closed the door behind me, I looked at Russo and stated, “I wasn’t with her that night.” 

He nodded, “It’ll be prison time for at least 10 years, more if it’s bad enough.” 

I scoffed, “Oh, it’s bad enough. She killed my wife and unborn child. Put her away.” I didn’t stay to talk anymore; I just went back home to my own prison. The phone rang again so I checked it and it was Riley. 

*** 

Kristy was curled up next to me on our couch while we watched Disney movies. Ever since last night when I came home to her crying, I had been itching to tell her that Jacque named me the next CEO. I imagined his marble floors being my marble floors and his office being my office. I was bursting with excitement. Sitting up, I paused The Lion King and looked at her grasping her hands. “Kristy, I have something to tell you.” 

She smirked and sat up, “You look excited, what is it?” 

“Jacque called me into his office yesterday.” 

She raised her eyebrows and laughed, “You are his assistant, I hope he calls you into his office sometimes.” 

“No, but then he said something. Something big.” 

She rolled her eyes, “You’re being dramatic, what is it?” 

“I’m going to be the next CEO. He’s promoting me! Like, big time!” 

She shrieked and wrapped her tiny arms around me, “Oh my god! That’s so exciting! Congratulations babe! I’m so proud of you!” We stayed in that hug for a while. Nothing could’ve made that day better to be honest. 

*** 

“You’re fucking with me! I’ve been gone a week!” I shouted at Riley through the phone. I was speeding back from the station when he called me. 

“I-I’m not, H-Henry. Calm down, we can come back from this. W-We can rebuild.” He stuttered out pathetically. I could almost see his pale face through the phone. 

“You’re telling me that our biggest, most secure server with our biggest clients’ data on it was hacked and corrupted? Do you know what that means? That fuckin’ means that our biggest contracts, that pay for your s****y job, are probably up in flames! Riley, what the fuck happened this week? What did you do?” 

“I-I-I don’t know, okay? Calm down Henry! Yeah, we probably are going to l-lose big clients, but we h-have thousands-and I mean thousands- of customers! You’re telling me that we’ll lose all of them?” 

“Yes! And if we don’t then we’ll lose enough to have to fire half of the company! Do you know how hard it’d be to come back from this? It’s impossible. Plus, if they got through our defenses there, you can bet that they could target any and all our servers and gain access to all our clients. Our business...is done for. Notify all the employees...they’ll need to start looking for new jobs.” I threw the phone down on the passenger seat and started screaming. I attacked the steering wheel and smacked it harshly. I let Jacque down completely. I ruined my marriage and his company. I ruined everything I touched. I was a poisonous disease that spread like the plague. Nothing was safe from my destruction. I smacked my head down on the wheel and the world started spinning. Pulling over to get out, I realized that I probably hit my head way too hard to continue driving. No matter how hard I focused on the ground, it seemed to continue falling up and down and tilting all sorts of ways. It made me dizzy, so I looked up and realized that I was in front of Good Fortune’s. I gave it a goofy smile and headed in. If I couldn’t drive, I could still drink 

12 beers and 7 hours later, the world was still dancing, but not like before. This was a good dance, the happiest kind. I wasn’t worried about anything. I called a Lyft and got back home to my maid who was waiting for me when I got back. She opened the door and quietly asked, “Mr. Walsh? Follow me?” 

It was the most she’d said in the past year. It took me by surprise. I nodded and she led me to the table where she had perfectly arranged all the picture boards. She did the backgrounds so beautifully and was able to pick all the right pictures of my wife. I looked at her and then back at the posters. They were wonderful. She was more creative and talented than I ever have been. Yet, she was the maid. Quietly, I asked, “You did this?” 

“Yes sir. I want to help,she mumbled in her broken English. 

“Well you shouldn’t have. These are ugly. How dare you touch my belongings and try to upstage me? Do you think I’m not capable of this? Who told you that you could touch my stuff, no, Kristy’s stuff? Get out. You’re fired.” 

I looked away and only heard her whimper before she ran out. I ran my hands through my hair and ripped at it yelling, “You dumb fuck! Why did you fire her? What’s wrong with you! What’s wrong with you...” I trailed off and let my grief show. I curled up on the floor and just cried. I couldn’t do this without her. I needed her. I knew I couldn’t get her back, but I wanted to. I couldn’t understand why it was her and not me. If I could go back in time switch places with her, I would in a heartbeat. My phone rang and I pulled myself back together to answer, “Walsh.” 

“Another attack hit a server in Texas and got another big-name client. You were right! We’re losing our investors and contracts. The news broke and they’re all pulling out. We’ve lost 3.6 billion dollars' worth of contracts and we won’t break even with the ones we have left. What do I do, Hen?” Riley was frantically begging me for help, advice, anything. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a thing I could give him. 

I scoffed, “Find a new job.” 

Hen, come o--” 

I hung up and set the phone aside.  

*** 

“S**t.” My pen is out of totally out of ink and I haven’t even finished my story yet. I’ve been really pushing it on the last paragraph. I guess this’ll just have to do. I explained myself well and that’s what really counts, right? Who cares anymore anyways? I’m so insignificant now. After losing the house, I had nowhere to go and pens are a treasure for me now since I don’t have money to buy them. Being homeless in a city like LA is brutal, but that’s why I’m ending it. Screw this city. Screw Cybernet, the bank and that b***h Theresa. They’ve all ruined me, and I hope they’re proud. I don’t even think they know what they did actually. But hey, that’s why I wrote my story right? Sitting in this dirty and disgusting ally is comforting because this is home. Or at least, it is now. Ever since I found out that all my money and property was tied up in Cybernet, I left that life behind and have been trying to make something of myself once again. I guess I knew I could only go on for a little bit. Three months. That’s how long I’ve been fighting, but today is my final day. I never meant to hurt anyone or get anyone killed I never wanted to screw the economy or my clients or my employees, but I did. And I’m paying the damn price.  

The only thing that I’ve kept with me from my old life is something that I had always thought of as a protection, but now it’s an escape. I have my 10-page truth on a box that I’ve used as a desk. Throwing my pen aside, I get up and straighten out my gross jacket. I got it from Salvation Army and have had it for a month. If only I could’ve gotten some nicer shoes. My dad shoes weren’t holding up so well anymore. There was a small hole in them when I left, and the hole now ran across the outside of the shoe towards my toes. I grab the old and worn paper and walk around the corner to Miss Fortune's. Walking in, she immediately greeted me, “Hey Hen, how are you today?” 

I shrug and give her the paper, “I gotta stop this. Today is the day I stop...everything.” I walk back out to my alley, suddenly becoming aware of the cold barrel in my waistband, scraping my warm skin. When I’m comfortable again in the alley, I take out the escape and smile. It’s over. My story has finally come to an end, but it’s not all sad. I’ll see Kristy, I won’t mess it up again. This is just my second chance. I raise the barrel to my brain and let my tears of joy and excitement go. My heart hasn’t gone this fast before, but I like it. It makes this more real. Quietly I promise, “For Kristy.” and squeeze the trigger.  
 

 


© 2019 Hayden


Author's Note

Hayden
What did you think of the story? What could I improve in it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
Added on November 14, 2019
Last Updated on November 14, 2019

Author

Hayden
Hayden

Green Bay, WI



About
Hey there, I'm Hayden! Thanks for checking me out ;p haha I'm just messin' around! When it comes to writing, I love giving some serious meaning to it, you have to really think in order to find it. I'm.. more..

Writing
Misaligned Misaligned

A Poem by Hayden


Ander's Demons Ander's Demons

A Story by Hayden