The Outside Looking In

The Outside Looking In

A Story by Hayden Ferguson
"

It takes a outsider to appreciate the beauty of the world

"

Every spring morning starts as this one does. I bring myself out here to expose myself to the world. I could be here for a couple of hours, or all day, either way I am just thankful for scenery.

The Tuscan sun greets me to the new day with its warming comfort, as it does for all the kingdom dwellers. I can feel the warmth of it greet my face, like an old friend saying hello. The artic sky is presented as a canvas for pearl fluff to be painted across the skies. As all beautiful things end, the bright sun will soon give birth the onyx nighttime.   

The wise trees are foretelling a change in scenery, showing off their marigold brush to warn the townspeople of its prophecies. The air space is patrolled by cobalt bluebirds, and cinnamon robins. The change of color in the leaves gives away the hickory soldiers traveling back home to their hills. As my periscope follows the tiny crusaders, I notice they are greeted by emerald elongated comrades. I eventually lose sight of these beautiful creatures, just as the world will lose the warm weather to the cold-hearted winter.

At this time, the neighborhood kids are getting dropped off by a tulip brigade of tanks. I can see the expression of excited happiness as they return home to their castles. The cars of their parents follow soon after, ranging from candy red SUVs to tangerine convertibles. They handle their suitcases securely, as they storm the high castle. So they can envelope their children with love, and watch the colors fade together.

My mother does not have the ability to see in color, as I do. No, she sees life in the secluded variety of black and white. That is why she wheels my wheelchair outside on the porch every morning, after my father leaves for work. She wheels me out here so I cannot witness the horror as she destroys herself.

I was not born with the abilities to run and play, as my equals do, who I witness every day. I was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy at a very early page in my life, causing me to be paralyzed from the neck down. This has left me with only the gift of sight, and my mind. My mom is a miserable housewife given the task of taking care of a child who cannot himself. That is why she shelters me out here every day, so she can take her pills, and see color once again.

Anymore the only enjoyment I can see across her face is when she causes herself to not feel. This is a time out of the day where she can forget the abomination she is forced to nurture. I want to help her, to make her proud of her little boy so she doesn’t have to numb herself any longer. So I could go to school to explore the world, and tell her about my adventures. Yet, I am as helpless to save my mother, as I am helpless to save myself. So I just sit here with God, exposed like a nerve, powerless to save anyone till the end of time. 

© 2016 Hayden Ferguson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

One of the best, well written stories I have read on this site. The word choice is so very good and the build up to the finishing paragraph is impeccably drawn.

I found the whole both powerful and poignant; and the title is just perfect.

T

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

368 Views
1 Review
Added on July 4, 2016
Last Updated on July 4, 2016

Author

Hayden Ferguson
Hayden Ferguson

Elwood, IN



About
Hey guys I am Hayden Ferguson, and I simply love to write about everything and anything. I hope anyone who reads these enjoys them as much as I do, because every story I put a piece of me in with it. .. more..

Writing