The Golden Calves

The Golden Calves

A Poem by Hayley

Ephesians 2:8

“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--”


We were lectors in the city once

Where the drinkers and sinners congregated for a good deed

(Beggars with stale bread and doves on their shoulders

Armani and Louis Vuitton with sculpted hair) 


They called us righteous


We wore our navy blazers and our stiff collars 

Showed them our bloody sleeves and knees-

We left them asunder and kneeling by the end of it with our voices: 

“Comrades, drink from the water we pour upon your soiled tongues;

For He toils for us, and none is pure as the wine He touches”


I thought they pondered and watered their seeds

I thought the glint I saw came from their eyes


Murmuring darkly

Hosanna, my blood is Your wine

But are we allowed a beer?


I saw many golden calves that day. 

© 2012 Hayley


Author's Note

Hayley
I don't know where all these religion-based writings come from...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I see this come from the seeming impossibility of a preacher, and the wanting peasants of the world who only work through wish fulfillment. Especially the hope of the godspoke, which turns out false (a message in itself) when they realize that the peasants don't understand said God, and are worshiping a God of pleasantries, and not of life.
I have a broad, indefinite religious lexicon, but I was able to readily grasp the "good deed" as in relation to the "good works", and also just the utter destruction of the former phrase in terms of validity, so I really appreciated the strike through.
I also loved the "Hosanna", it was a beautiful rendition of the word use, and the following line really showcased the merit in the poem by playing from the opposing perspective so well.
The last line struck me as very witty, such as I elaborated upon earlier, as it was not of different religions that these failed men and women were ascribing to, but rather a false rendition, personalized, of the deity that was being preached.
Brava.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This inspires one to go on a journey to seek truth.
The illusions and veils litter the imagery and create
such a mysterious vibe. Serious penmanship.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Hayley, this does have a sense of searching, of testing maybe in it for me--I thought it was wonderful writing--

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is more of what I mean by leaving an impression in the reader. I took from this a question of religion, in its truthfulness and reality. If that's not what you intended then maybe it's a combination of that being the same general question that goes in my head anytime I think about religion or the poem didn't focus your idea enough, but whatever it could be I still like it.

As a side note, I thought the crossing out of "good deed" in line 2 of the second stanza was cool :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


wow this is amazing!!! i love this! mind checking my stuff out? thanks

Posted 11 Years Ago


seductive enough to make me consider going to church again...amazing material

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hayley, I went through a period in early 20l0 where I wrote many religion-based writings and I am not sure why either. I go back and read them now and wonder where my mind and heart were. I think perhaps it is called searching our soul for what is true. This is wonderful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


The poor who are worn and dirty with bloody knees from working the fields that feed god's people shall offer the water from their tongues to the well to do hearts that have dehydrated in the absents of faith.The watwer is wine to kill the pain and the beer is the celebration to end the slavery.
Probably not the story you told,but it was the one I read.I kind of see these religious things my own way.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This seems to say a lot about humanity and the different sides of human nature. Enjoyed this write and wonderful message conveyed in this piece. Very thought-provoking. Nicely done.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Maybe you were a nun in a past life?

1. For He toils for us, and none is pure as the wine He touches

I liked it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have an absolutely brilliant depth to your words, one that pierces deep into the conscience... into the richness of humanity and our tainted history... filled with expressions of religion that often make or mock the gifts we've been so freely given... You see in the world what too many simply walk by blinded.. Keep the light on...

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

724 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 14, 2012
Last Updated on April 14, 2012

Author

Hayley
Hayley

OH



About
I'm a 21-year-old undergraduate college student majoring in business. I'm not on the cafe as much as I would like to be. Don't be a stranger. Side note: I do not rate writing. This is eye-op.. more..

Writing
Torrent Torrent

A Poem by Hayley


Stargazers Stargazers

A Poem by Hayley



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


White White

A Poem by Hayley


Unimmortal Unimmortal

A Poem by OT


Succubus Succubus

A Poem by Muse


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse


Deja vu Deja vu

A Poem by Muse