Dusty Mirrors

Dusty Mirrors

A Story by Akira
"

I wrote this a long time ago and never released it. Originally posted 2013

"
He spoke to me briefly; only for a split moment in time. It was in that moment that my mind was allowed to run wild, free of my controlling consciousness. My body had gone into a form unfamiliar to me; relaxed and at peace as if I understood everything clearly. My heart had stopped but I was comfortable. I was in darkness for what felt like years before colours I couldn't identify swirled around my face. The colours blurred out for a moment before they pulled together and focused. I was standing in a room full of warm light. The room was spacious and beautiful. I smiled as I took in the atmosphere and breathed. My eyes flickered open and as if it were programmed into my mind I glanced to the corner furthest from where I had stood; a mirror lay sturdy against the wall.

The mirror appeared dusty and old. It had a beautiful dark wooden frame that was home to intricate carvings. I walked closer to the mirror, slowly and quietly; the only sound in the room was my bare feet padding softly across the wooden floorboards. I took a small cloth from the back of a large wooden rocking chair between my fingers and continued across the room. Three steps away from the mirror I stopped. I stood silently; my eyes glued to the mirror. My dress was breath taking. The soft folds of the emerald green fabric hugged my frame before dropping elegantly from my waist to the floor as I walked closer to the mirror. My hair was just as it always had been; long and flowing. My eyes wandered to the depth of my collarbone. Collarbone? I had lost a considerable amount of weight it had seemed. A simple golden link chain lay upon my chest holding a single large white pearl in the center of a heart and although the room didn't have a lot of light it glistened.

My face finally came into focus for the first time within the depths of the mirror. My lips were plump, peachy in colour as well as my cheeks. I raised my hand to my face and slowly ran it down my cheek and over the corners of my parted lips. I looked myself in the eyes of the mirror, I could barely recognize myself but I knew it was me.

Despite the comfortable warmth that stretched across my skin, I felt a chill run down my spine that left me with a chill all over my body. I no longer felt at ease in this room. I was being watched. I glanced over my shoulder expecting to find somebody behind me but there was nobody there. My glittering but terrified green eyes flickered back to the mirror and I rubbed my arms in attempt to rid myself of the goosebumps that refused to dissipate. I couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't the only person in the room.

I turned my focus away from the mirror, picked up my dress so I wouldn't trip over my own feet and began to look for a door. I had to get out of here. I wasn't safe. I spotted a door on the furthest corner of the room and ran quickly towards it but the more I ran towards it the further it seems to be. It felt as if my feet were glued to the ground with every footstep I made, with each one getting harder and more difficult to lift my legs. I reached the exit and as I held out my hand to throw open the door the whole wall began to grow thorny rose bushes. They looped their way over the handle, creating beautiful but haunting swirls of thorns as they fell to the floor and curled upwards. They sat there almost mocking me.

Horrified, I ran back to the mirror and without a second thought, I smashed my first into the glass and felt the sharp shards that had shattered enter my soft flesh. I screamed as I dropped to the floor; holding my hand close to my heart as the dark blood dripped down my arms and started to pool onto my dress, I let out a heart stopping sob.

© 2020 Akira


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't know what is going on here

Posted 4 Years Ago


Akira

4 Years Ago

Maybe you need to read it a few more times. It's an unfinished piece from 2013.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 27, 2020
Last Updated on January 27, 2020

Author

Akira
Akira

Adelaide, SA, Australia



About
Hi, I'm Akira and I'm 26 years old and I'm from Australia. Writing is a creative expression for me but it's not one that I'm very open about as it doesn't come naturally. I don't write often, but w.. more..

Writing
Pink Skies Pink Skies

A Poem by Akira