You Think You Know

You Think You Know

A Story by HE1998

You Think You Know
After being friends for years, you think you know someone. The unfortunate truth is everyone keeps secrets. Best friend in the world with the bubbly personality and optimistic outlook of life? She has deep and dark secrets. Finally, years in the making, they come out. At first, you’re stunned. You don’t know what to say. You’ve always attempted to be an open book to her. She has known most of your life story, but, even you have your secrets. You should’ve known not everything is rainbows and unicorns in her world. Does not ever realizing this make you an awful friend? Do you feel like you should’ve been there to support her in any way you can? She will tell you everything is better now. But is she hiding more secrets behind that positivity and glowing smile?
You thought your entire life that you, of all people, could see right through any walls that were put up by others because you have built those walls inside yourself. You’re starting to realize that you don’t have the transparency with others that you thought you had established with your vast experience and lies and secrets. Lies and secrets are what your childhood was built around. “Ouch that bruise looks like it hurt, how’d that happen?” The teachers would ask constantly whenever your shirt moved in a way that revealed some of your secrets. “Clumsy me, I never know how I get these things,” you would say as you repositioned your shirt to once again hide the imperfections. It’s the only way to keep your secret life saf from discovery. School was one of your escapes. You’d get home from school, run straight to your room to do homework and read. But that’s not the only reason you were hiding in the one room of sanctuary in your home. Because when the clock struck 6, he would be home, and you should always make yourself scarce. When you got older, your mother thought keeping you busy with activities would help the best. And in those activities you found your passion, which would later be crippled by others. Others who hid the secrets the same as you.
You don’t know their stories. You don’t know anyone’s truth. Are you sure everyone is who they say they are? Or that their personality is a true reflection of themself; could it be just another wall built to keep the outside from knowing their true secrets? Just the way you did. Now, as adults, you will start to learn the secrets of those you’ve cared dearly for, but you will never know the whole truth about anyone.

© 2020 HE1998


Author's Note

HE1998
Ignore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very captivating read and thought-provoking piece!

I've learned over the years of gaining and losing friends throughout secondary school that the secrets that other people keep and don't share to others is to be respected and not crossed. I've learned that there's no use of feeling betrayed or finding offence if someone has been keeping a part of themselves from me, but to view it positively that's like: "Thank you for trusting me and opening up to me" instead. I learned that the safest and the best of situations is to not poke my friends or the people I love that have secrets, but to instead let them know that "I'm open if you want to talk, but it's up to you. I'm content either way", to which the other party will be given control of their choices and at the same time are given reassurances that we'll be there for them no matter what.

I have secrets myself, and I get angered and feel beyond overwhelmed (and even betrayed) when someone is curious about me or the secrets I keep, let alone feel offended that I chose not to share with them. I don't owe anyone anything, and at the same time, nobody owes me anything. If they want me to only see the parts they're showing to me, I'll accept that until further developments. I've learned to view the people in my life to be fragile, and not in a sense that they're weak, but in an optimistic sense for me to be careful, caring, appreciative and loving to the people around me.

I didn't find any grammar problems or anything, so good job! I hope you'll have a lovely day/night ahead!

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

23 Views
1 Review
Added on August 16, 2020
Last Updated on August 16, 2020

Author

HE1998
HE1998

IL



About
I’m a young mom of a little toddler. I used to write everyday, anything that came to mind. I’m just starting to get back into writing to help me discover what my passions are again. more..