Mid-morning coffee at the village's Costa

Mid-morning coffee at the village's Costa

A Story by Jacky O'r

Just looking around at the people in the café, all in their own little world.

Girls chatting as if it was the last breath of gossip news they could exchange.

Singles, like me, buried in their paper as if they found a well in the middle of the desert.

Couples, one glued to his iPhone, the other reading the paper. Sitting side by side with a glass wall between them.

And there are the ones who won the in-house lottery: able to sit in the armchairs in the window. These two seats are hot, some of us ogle them, paper and handbag at the ready to dart over as soon as the occupants shows sign of moving.

Then there are the mums, kids dropped off at school, babies in prams, enjoying each other’s company. Up to five at a table, some with hats on, not to spoil their hair, others with a rigid smile saying I’m so happy nesting with you. And one can feel the hierarchy: the ones who tell, the ones who nod, the silent ones and the independent ones.

And there is the knitting lady, always on her own at a little table, she waits, looks at the place as if it was empty, then gets those needles going in a hectic rhythm. Self content, alone but not lonely, a feature ignored by the rest.

And the fashionista, always early in the window armchair. One day tight skirt, next day tight jeans. Rummages in her bag to find her morning vitamin tablet, make-up bag on the table ready for a last retouch. Then up to the toilet making sure the place still looks occupied, and, before leaving, whilst us armchair hunters are slavering for the spot, decides to share her life story with the next table. Standing, bag, gloves, scarf on the table, half dressed; is she going, …not yet. Go on lady, move on, can’t stand it, I’m ready to jump, what can she be talking about, can’t she see we’re waiting, how selfish.

Next move I’m there, cup and paper in hand, innocently asking “Are you leaving?” She moves, I’m in the armchair. How comfy, will stay here all morning, won’t give it away. Look at me now all your armchair hunters, wait and slaver, see if and when you can get it.

I’m getting another coffee, not moving so soon

© 2018 Jacky O'r


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on January 26, 2017
Last Updated on January 6, 2018
Tags: coffee, cafe, people, observation, Costa

Author

Jacky O'r
Jacky O'r

United Kingdom



About
Very first attempts at creative writing. I usually paint and sketch more..

Writing
Not my fault Not my fault

A Story by Jacky O'r