Not Above the Fireplace

Not Above the Fireplace

A Story by J. Garcia
"

A couple find the perfect painting to hang above their new fireplace. They love it. The artist, however, is not as pleased.

"
1

After a discussion that lasted about an hour, Jim and Lacey Klein finally agreed on where they would hang their new painting. They both agreed the best place was the spot directly above the fireplace. However, when the artist learned of where it was placed, he did not approve.

2

Lacey always wanted a large house. Jim, on the other hand, never really cared for that. That was a discussion they had before they were married. Lacey had agreed to marry Jim, only on the condition that they would buy a giant house.
Story of our lives, Jim would think. We discuss things and Lacey always gets her way.
Not that it was a problem. Jim didn’t really care either way. He just pretended that he did so Lacey could feel as though she had won the discussion. She felt good when she did. That was all that really mattered to him.
Two months ago, they decided for the house on Rowling Road for a few reasons. The first and the most important was its unbeatable price. They hadn’t rushed into anything. They spent almost an entire year searching through the classifieds, and through different realty websites. When they found the old house on Rowling Road, they were positive, with no room for doubt, that they had found their home. It was the cheapest four-bedroom house in all of Wauwatosa. The second reason, they figured out when they first saw it in person, was that it was gigantic. It had a basement, first-floor, second-floor, an attic, and ten acres of land surrounding it. The third and final reason was that the search had begun to frustrate Lacey, and that was, as Jim would say: No bueno.

3

On the morning of the day they hung the painting, Lacey decided their home was too plain.
“We need more décor, babe,” she said.
“More what?” Jim asked as he tried to solve the challenges on the back of the cereal box, and stuffed a spoonful of Cocoa Puffs into his mouth.
“Decorations, dummy. You know: paintings and stuff.”
“Oh, yeah. I completely agree.”
“I know you just agree with me because you don’t care. You know that, right?” She watched him as he trailed his finger on the back of the cereal box as if following some kind of path.
“Where are you getting this from?” Jim responded, his mouth full of cereal. “You’re the smarter one. That’s why I agree with you.”
“Yeah, okay.”
“I’m serious, babe.” He swallowed his cereal, and looked at her. “You’ve been saying that a lot lately. Do you want me to argue against you or something?”
“Well, yeah. If you don’t agree with me, you should.”
“But I do agree.”
“Okay, whatever.” She stood. “I’m off to work. We should search for art galleries tonight.”
“Sounds good.” Jim’s attention went back to the challenges on the cereal box.
“Love you.”
“Love you too, honey.” He said before another mouthful.

4

That afternoon, Jim got home from his current construction job, and Lacey urged him to shower before they went on their search for art galleries. Lacey worked as a phlebotomist, but she had obviously been released from work early, as she had already changed out of her scrubs and into a fancy, tight, red dress. After Jim showered, he put on his only pair of black slacks, and a white button-down shirt. He wasn’t much for fancy. It was one of his biggest faults, according to Lacey.
“Look at you,” she said as Jim walked out the front door of their new home. “My man doesn’t dress nice often, but when he does, he looks damn good.”
Jim smiled and walked towards Lacey at the bottom of the stairs that led to the front patio. He didn’t say anything.
“Ready?” Lacey asked.
Jim nodded.
“Let’s go.”
After they mounted Jim’s old beat-up Bronco, Lacey typed an address onto her phone’s GPS application, and said, “I’ll tell you which way to go.”
Jim looked at Lacey.
“What?” she asked.
“Put your seatbelt on.”
“Okay, fine. Geez.”
They drove away.

5

Downtown Wauwatosa was not as busy as most other downtown areas. There were no large buildings, only small shops, and as they drove by they noticed a large crowd gathered outside of what appeared as a gallery opening. Jim parked the Bronco in the first available parking spot.
“Seems expensive,” Jim said as he stepped out of the vehicle.
“Nah, I don’t think so.” Lacey gave him a wink.
“I’m serious, Lacey. If it’s crazy expensive, maybe we should consider going to the Wal-Mart or something. We really can’t afford crazy expensive right now.”
“Fine, Jim!” Lacey stopped walking. “Then let’s just go home.”
There she is. Always-gets-her-way-Lacey. Jim thought.
Jim knew better than to accept this proposal. Although he did want to just go home, if they did, he would never hear the end of it from Lacey. Her face was scrunched as she stood and looked at him with intent to hurt.
“Babe, don’t be mad,” he said calmly. “Let’s just check out the prices. If they’re reasonable and we can afford it, then we’ll take it.”
“I just want to go home, Jim.”
“Baby,” Jim approached her and reached for her hand. “Please.”
“Fine, Jim. Just know that I really don’t feel like going anymore.” She shook her hand loose and began to walk alone. “You really ruined this for me.”
Jim followed. Despite her claim, he knew she wanted to go. I hope that temper doesn’t get you in trouble one day, he thought.

6

The front doors of the small building were made of glass, except the handles, which were made of brass. To the left of the doors was a poster with a picture of a small man sporting a ponytail of storm cloud gray hair, his hair line was receding way back onto the top of his head, circle-shaped spectacles hung low on his nose, and his moustache was thick and curled up at both sides.
When Jim and Lacey walked in, the small man from the poster caught a glimpse of them as he spoke with another couple. He smiled and waved. Jim and Lacey returned the gesture. The man turned to the couple in front of him, smiled, shook their hands, and said he would check on them later. He began to limp towards Jim and Lacey, a cane on his left hand crashed on the floor with each step.
Jim and Lacey walked towards him in an attempt to help with his struggle.
“Hello,” he said as he extended his hand. “Welcome to my Gallery. My name is Rinaldo Santos.”
“I’m Jim Klein,” he said as he shook Rinaldo’s hand, “and this is my wife, Lacey. Pleasure to meet you.”
“Wonderful to meet you both,” Rinaldo said, exposing a mouth full of crooked teeth. “Well, since this is my gallery, I’m sure you have probably guessed that these are my paintings,” he said as he motioned at the paintings that adorned the walls. “Were you looking for anything in particular today?”
“We’re just looking for something to decorate our new home,” Lacey said.
“Perfect.” Rinaldo said. “I know just the one. Follow me.”
Seems kinda rushed, Jim thought.
They walked to the far back left corner of the room and on the wall was a large painting of a fair-skinned woman with green eyes. Her hair was curly and free, she wore a red dress, and around her neck was a necklace with a nickel-sized diamond pendant.
“Oh my, she is beautiful,” Lacey said as she approached the painting. “Who is she?”
“She was my wife,” Rinaldo responded.
Lacey turned to him and asked, “why would you want to get rid of a painting of your wife?”
“Lacey!” Jim exclaimed.
“No, it’s fine,” Rinaldo said as he placed his hand on Jim’s shoulder. “It’s not that I want to get rid of the painting. It’s that I must. She is no longer happy by me. I have to let her go.”
“What’s the price?” Lacey asked.
“Three-hundred dollars.”
Lacey looked at Jim. He was sure this would make her smile. He nodded.
“We’ll take it!” Lacey shouted.

7

The painting hung over the fireplace and as Jim and Lacey slept, the home phone rang.
Jim awoke, reached for the phone, picked it up, and put it to his ear.
“Hello?”
“Is this Jim?”
“Who is this?”
“This is Rinaldo.”
“How’d you get our phone number?”
“Phonebook.”
“Oh. How may I help you?”
“The painting. It’s hanging above the fireplace.”
“How do you know that?”
“Never mind that. You have to move it.”
“Why?”
“S-she won't stop screaming that she’s burning.”





© 2016 J. Garcia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so good, lots of details. 10/10! Also feel free to read my story, it would mean a lot :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J. Garcia

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will definitely read your work as soon as I can. I'm lookin.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
1 Review
Added on May 6, 2016
Last Updated on May 6, 2016
Tags: Dark, horror, supernatural, painting, art, decor, love, death, artist, creepy

Author

J. Garcia
J. Garcia

San Diego , CA



About
I'm an aspiring writer of horror and supernatural fiction, along with other genres as well. I currently study creative writing at National University in San Doego, California. I pray nightly that some.. more..