Rodeo Foal

Rodeo Foal

A Poem by KayLinn
"

A young foal fights to stay with his mother.

"

           I open my eyes, only to find a cruel light assaulting them.  The light warms my face until I notice something move.  A creature moved in front of me, blocking the cruel light.  A dark gold mare with a light cream mane bends down and nuzzles me.

Mother?

I feel something on my withers, as a strange voice starts talking.  It said “What a beautiful chestnut colt.  Looks like he has a golden mane and tail, and hazel eyes.  Great job Candy…he looks a lot like you.”

I look up into the hazel eyes staring down at me.  Candy…my mother.  I hear the strange voice call me Jethro.  Is that what I am called…Jethro?  I look behind me to see the strange creature.  He had been moving on only his back legs.  How does he move like that?

I saw another creature.  The first one moves his front leg towards himself, before talking.  “John, Candy had a colt.  I believe the name Jethro suits him quite nicely.  Wouldn’t you agree?”

The second one moves his head up and down.  What does it mean?

The first one comes over to me and puts something across my back.  It is soft like Mother, and it made the cold disappear.  I think that he did the same thing to my mother.  What are they for?

My mother nuzzles me again, motioning for me to lay down.  I lay down and she lays down next to me.  I can feel her warmth.  Do I give off a warmth like that?

My mother seems happy, so I am too. I don’t know much, but I know that I love my mother.  I also know that she loves me.

I close my eyes.

I open them again and I am bigger now.  

I have seen the outside become cold and white two times, and now it looks like the day I first opened my eyes.

Whenever I open my eyes now, I do the same thing.  Day after Day.  I open my eyes, the strange creature that I know as Steve, gives me yummy stuff to eat. Afterwards, he moves a brush through my coat, mane, and tail before splashing water on me.  He calls it a bath.

After my bath time, he puts something called reins on me.  Reins feel weird, but they are comfortable. Steve then guides me to a big area where I can run and play.


I am happy.


Today’s morning had been different.  Steve comes in and puts my reins on.  I just opened my eyes.  There was no food or water.  No play time.  He moves his front leg down my neck and withers.  I enjoy it.  It feels good.  Then he starts cooing soft words.

” I promise you’ll like the rodeo.  We just need to train you.  You’ll see Candy again after we’re done.  You’re big and strong enough to be on your own now.  I truly am sorry about this.” John nuzzles me, before pulling on my reins and taking me out.

Is it playtime already?  Why isn’t Mother coming?

Mother?

Mother…Candy!

I pull myself up on my back legs and try to get out of the reins.  Steve pulls me back down, and I kick him.  I gallop to mother who nuzzles me.

The other creature known as John comes in.  He is very unhappy with Steve.  John started talking very loud.

“You get this stupid colt under control right now!”

I don’t know what that means.  Why are they trying to take me away from my mother?

My mother stands up, and does not look happy. I hide under her barrel. Does she know what is going on?  Is she trying to protect me?

              I watch as Steve walks up to her, holding his forelegs in the air.

“It’s alright Candy.  I promise we won’t hurt him.”  Steve moves his hoof up and down Mother, while grabbing my reins with his other hoof.

I pull back again.  I don’t want to go.  I just want to stay with Mother.  I feel the reins pull.  I yank my head back, and fall to the ground.


I’m too weak.


He won.


              Mother pulls herself up and comes down on top of Steve. He let out a loud whine.

John and two more creatures come inside.

              I look back to Mother as John dragged Steve away from us.  Another creature had covered her head with what they call a blanket.  Why did they cover her head?  Are they going to hurt Mother?  I won’t let them hurt her!

              I try to pull away one last time, only to find my reins pulling me the opposite way.  

John pets me until I am calm again.  I look back to see Mother laying down.  The reins pull, and I know I have to go with the strange creatures.


I promise I will be back Mother.


... I love you. 




© 2017 KayLinn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on January 10, 2017
Last Updated on January 10, 2017
Tags: Love, Foal, Rodeo

Author

KayLinn
KayLinn

Las Vegas, NV



About
My brain is always thinking. Writing helps me stay out of trouble. Sometimes. more..

Writing