I was made for you

I was made for you

A Story by Eleanor Melanson
"

A story of love and loss

"

We were both young when you first held me. I wrapped myself around your tiny body to keep you warm and bring you comfort. I was made for you.

Sometimes I was left on the floor while you went off to chase the cat, or you would let me fall to the floor in your sleep. You would always cry for me when you realized I wasn’t around and clap your hands in excitement when you discovered my hiding spot.

I watched as other kids came over to play, filling your room with giggles and fantastic ideas. I was made the cover of a fort on many occasions, but you were the only one allowed in your group to drape me over the kitchen chairs.

I was so ecstatic when you discovered books. You would crawl underneath me with a flashlight, and we would spend all night reading Treasure Island.  I was made for you.

On the nights that storms became too intense I would shield you from the sight of lightening. On the nights the beast in your closet tried to attack, I would cover and protect you. 

I saw your first girlfriend come and go and dried your tears away. I would hold you close to reassure you there would be others.

I was slowly falling apart so you left me at home when you went to college. I was a little angry about the cat making me its nest, but I knew you would come back for me. I was made for you.

You were gone an awfully long time, but when you returned, you returned with a young lady, one who didn’t go away. I shielded my eyes from passionate kisses and let myself fall to the floor beside you.

It was time to move out of this home we grew up together in. I made the journey with you. Now, only a few feet left of me still remained. You held me close, folded me up ever so sweetly and put me inside a box. I didn’t mind, I was kept with the rest of your cherished memories, one of which read;


Dear Alex, while I may have passed by the time you read this letter yourself, I wanted you to know I’m always with you so I made you a blanket to keep you warm and share your memories, knowing it’s coming with love from me. I made it just for you.

With love,

Grandma

© 2018 Eleanor Melanson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very well written very good writing my dear

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
1 Review
Added on January 31, 2018
Last Updated on January 31, 2018
Tags: Grandma, Family, Childhood, Love