Chapter One - Good Samaritan

Chapter One - Good Samaritan

A Story by Hivathi

He stood in the same spot everyday, playing his guitar in a remote corner of the station, asking for donations. For the most part, people would pass him by, day after day, without so much as a second chance. Even those who took the time to enjoy a moment of his music rarely gave him more than simply pocket change; though to him it must have seemed a lot. But his music was amazing, worth so much more than he'd ever see here.


Chad was his name, Chad Bishop. I loath to admit it but I was apart of the group that gave him little attention as I made my way to the morning train (he never seemed to be around when I'd return). I'll forever blame it on my shyness and being the farthest thing from a morning person. Things at home didn't help matters much, between my parents and a bad break-up, I felt little desire to approach this apparently homeless guitarist playing random tunes every morning.


That changed one morning in early December. I'd be running late, very late, and ending up missing my train. I'd collapsed onto one of the benches near where Chad had set up for the day. While I say and wallowed in self-pity he continued to play his songs, something cheerful if I remember right. Though I can't remember the name of the song, I know it was beautiful. That's what brought me out of my funk, and helped convince me to do what I did.


Excuse me...”


The music ended abruptly as a pair of pale, green eyes focused on me. Whatever words I'd initially planned on caught in my throat and instead I just stood there like an idiot with my mouth open. Remember I'd never really looked at the guy before in my life, and now I was staring him in the face a few feet away. Now, as I said, Chad was homeless at the time, so he didn't look like the cleanest person around. But even so, it was readily apparent he was a very attractive man. His hair, unkempt as it was, had a glossy black look to his, mostly hidden underneath his beanie. I couldn't see much of the rest of him then, but I could tell that he was very thin, surely from the little he'd earned playing here.

If you keep your mouth open like that a bug is bound to get curious.” He said with a chuckle.


I know I blushed a deep red when he said that, rubbing the back of my head awkwardly. “Yeah...” Real smooth, Shawn.


He smiled a surprisingly white smile before setting his guitar down and standing up. “Was there something you needed, Mr...?”


I stuck my hand out to him. “Shawn.” I told him.


Pleasure to meet you Shawn.” He grabbed my hand in a firm handshake, giving it a gentle squeeze before letting go.


I've seen you play here, you're quite good.” I commented, shuffling my feet and looking away.


Thanks, it's a living.” Maybe I was imagining things but I swore there was a hint of sadness in his voice.


A curtain of awkwardness washed over us, honestly I hadn't planned this out very well. He seemed to notice this as well, sticking his hands in his pockets and rocking onto his heels. Thankfully an idea popped into my head when his stomach gave a rather loud growl.


Would you like to have breakfast with me? There's a diner I know with great food and coffee a few blocks away.” I offered suddenly, adding “My treat!” When I saw his quick glance at the money in his guitar case.


Didn't think there would be a guy asking me to breakfast when I woke up today.” He joked as he stowed his guitar away before following me out of the station.


It was a quiet walk to the diner, albeit a comfortable one. I was racking my brain trying to figure out why I had suddenly asked this random guy to breakfast, especially when we knew nothing about each other. Chad seemed like the friendly type though, I'd even go as far as to say I felt comfortable near him. My hand could still feel a sensation from where he'd touched it, it was odd at the time.


When we reached the diner, Chad let me lead him to a table towards the back, away from most of the other patrons. Soon after, a waitresses brought us another two cups of coffee before leaving to tend to another table with a promise to be right back, giving us time to look at the menu. One of the great things about visiting a place frequently: you know what's good and what to stay away from. I'd asked Chad what he planned to order, and nearly gagged when he told me.


Trust me, you don't want anywhere near that. Leave it to me, I'm sure we can get you something you'll enjoy.” I told him.


He gave me an odd look but didn't question it as he laid down the menu. “So do you invite random strangers to breakfast often?” He'd asked instead.


Only the good looking ones.”


That brought a smile out of him, and a feint blush. Secretly I was glad he didn't take the comment the wrong way, I've had several guys get defensive and antsy when they think I'm flirting. Chad didn't seem phased by the comment though, which was nice. It opened the door to normal chatter, an insight into each others lives. Chad was 21, his birthday was in a week actually. After a bit of bad luck, he'd lost his job as a busboy when the Health Inspector found roaches in the kitchen, and he'd yet to find another job, hence his playing at the station everyday. No family he'd speak of, though I could be wrong, he almost shied away from the topic altogether. His roommate had been a real prick and threw him out days after he hit unemployment, though he said he'd been looking for another job since day one. What little bit he made from what people would give him went to getting warmer clothes and to care for his guitar. I'd asked where he'd been staying, purely out of curiosity, and he murmured off the name of a small park about a mile away.


That caught my attention, the park was about two blocks or so away from my apartment. I walked passed it everyday to and from the station, and never once did I ever see Chad anywhere near it. I felt bad for him, from the little bit I knew from him, he deserved better than life was giving him. Part of me wanted to take the chance, to bring him home with me and help him get back on his feet. But the other part of me kept saying “you don't even know the guy, this could all be a sob story and he's some crazed druggie who'll rob you blind!” I didn't really believe that, nothing about him seemed anything but friendly.


Here you go guys. Two morning specials.”


The meal was enjoyed in another comfortable silence, both of us enjoying the food (Chad was visibly restraining himself from wolfing his down). He finished his before I was halfway done with mine so I pushed my plate towards him; he needed the food more than I did.


Aren't you gonna eat?” He asked, looking from my plate to me.


I smiled but shook my head. “You look like you could use the food more than I do.”


He ate the food, though I could tell he was reluctant to do so. My attention drifted to his guitar case laying against the booth beside him. It looked to be quite old and as though it had seen many better days. The exterior appeared to be mahogany or some other type of dark wood, dull after what I could only assume to be months of the street with no-upkeep. Understandably, the guitar inside looked much nicer, he would've had to take better care of it to make what he could. If I didn't know better, I'd say every cent that didn't go towards keeping him alive went to the guitar. My gut told me I wasn't wrong.


Shawn, thank you for the meal but I really have to get back. I can't afford to be away from the station very long.”



Before I could stop him, Chad grabbed his guitar and practically ran out of the diner. And maybe it was just my imagination, but I thought I saw him look back through the door window before racing back to the station. Several other patrons glanced back towards the booth, but that didn't bother me. Honestly I couldn't say at the time why exactly him leaving like that bothered me. Not that there was much I could do, something told me going to the station after him wouldn't have been a good idea. So I paid the waitress and returned home, maybe some time spent working on this project would put him out of my mind.


End of Part One

© 2013 Hivathi


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Hivathi
Something I've been working on during the last few weeks. It's very un-refined honestly as I have no one to review/edit it for me. :/ Any constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sounds sweet and romantic, still having a scope for surprise and suspence though. Wanting to read more. All the best.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
1 Review
Added on December 14, 2013
Last Updated on December 14, 2013
Tags: Romance, Gay

Author

Hivathi
Hivathi

Saint Joseph, MO



Writing