Do People Ever Change?

Do People Ever Change?

A Story by hxldxncxxns
"

I was inspired to write this due to u/ kite kid 's comment on my post about New Years Eve. So I will try my best to express my feelings on this topic.

"
"Do people ever change?  Does the start of a new year give inspiration to people trying to fix themselves?"
I started my recent post like this, and I was then inspired to write an essay with the excerpt in quotes as my thesis. So I shall begin with that.
Every year as a tradition, people create a New Years Resolution, "New year, new me" is what I hear a lot. And usually these resolutions are somewhere along the lines of losing weight, to quit smoking, to get better grades, etcetera. The list goes on and on, and honestly, I think these resolutions are a truly good thing. Good for you if you see something in yourself that you are determined to change, but note that word determined. You see, that's where the problem is, it is the determination. Any ol' Joe Blow can come up with a resolution for themselves, its not hard at all. For example, I myself would want to quit smoking (Currently working on it, but doesn't smoking seem like an writer-y thing to do? It gives character.) and get better grades. But these are both difficult tasks to achieve and will require me giving some serious effort to be successful. 
I have never seen anyone complete a New Years Resolution. Not once. On the topic of losing weight or becoming more in shape I found an interesting answer from Darren Beattie on the website Quora about gym membership sales and the rates of decline; "80% of the New Years Resolutions crowd drops off by the second week of February. Meaning only 20% remain, and the rate of sign-ups tapers off by February". 80 f*****g percent. You see what I mean? I didn't take this data, and I don't he did either but I'm sure if you looked you'd find it or something like it. Also another interesting thing to pay attention to is your email inbox, and probably your mailbox too, and look at what you're being sent. I counted 17 things sent to me about losing weight/rehab/ and dating sites. The influx of these advertisements take over everyone's inbox's at the end of the year hoping to give hope to someone New Years Fool. (Here's where I found the answer http://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-new-gym-members-in-January-stop-coming-after-February)
So I think you know how I feel about New Years, and resolutions now. I don't think people change, but I believe they have the potential to. With some effort and determination, self change is completely possible. I'm just waiting for someone to show me something.

© 2015 hxldxncxxns


Author's Note

hxldxncxxns
This is very improper MLA format, I know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like your style of writing because it's like you're talking to the reader personally and also I agree with everything you said. Determination is key.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great job, even with the time you had, you whipped this into something that is funny and true. i cant be more happy to see something so witty and enthusiastic. plus, i am honored that i could help.

thanks

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hxldxncxxns

9 Years Ago

I'm thankful for that, it's nice having someone read my writing for the first time. Thank you

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 2, 2015
Last Updated on January 2, 2015
Tags: nye, people, change

Author

hxldxncxxns
hxldxncxxns

CA



About
Greetings, this is my first time opening my writing to the public. I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish here but I hope I'll learn something. Thank you more..

Writing
Alone. Alone.

A Poem by hxldxncxxns