Woman In Charge

Woman In Charge

A Screenplay by Holly O'Brien
"

Just the outline of a short film I will probably do one day I hope.

"

Title: Woman in Charge

Author: Tishka L.Davis

 

Plot: A woman named Nikita Knowles rethinks her life after her boyfriend Ray, of four years "pops the big question". Feeling she has only been living a lie, she leaves everything she knows and sets out to pursue a life she has only fantasized about. Of course, everyone that had expectations of her are rudely awakened. And what does she have to lose? Everything! She's risking it all.

 

Sequence of Events

 

Scene 1

Nikkie enters her apartment and checks her answering machine. It has no messages. She then describes to the audience why she feels so lonely and in such a mess. (Has pet dog)

 

Scene 2 (Flashback)

She is entering Ray's home. Following him into the living room she is surprised by a crowd of loving relatives and friends. She then describes her overly zealous mother, her loving boyfriend and devoted friends to the audience.

 

Scene 3

Later on at her birthday bash she is opening gifts when Ray aproaches her with a wedding ring and proposes to her before everyone. She does not answer him and one of the women whispers to the other "oh my god". Nikkie's friend quickly rushes her to the kitchen when everyone is completely too stunned to speak. As soon as Nikkie begins to explain that she cannot marry Ray, he bursts into the kitchen frustrated. The scene ends when he asks her if she ever plans to marry him and she stares at him blankly.

 

Scene 4

Two weeks later, Nikkie is sitting at a conference table absently listening to her boss giving a speech about one of the companies they advertise for. She explains to the audience how insignificant she felt.

 

Scene 5

She is explaining to a friend of hers that she plans to move away and change careers. Her friend Alaine then asks her worriedly if it has to do with their encounter the previous year when she and Ray had broken up for some period of time. Nikkie explains that she does not know. Nikkie then asks Alaine why she is still single and Alaine replies that she does not know. Then Alaine offers to travel with Nikkie and stay with her for a few days until she gets settled in. Nikkie accepts the offer.

 

Scene 6

Alaine nodding to Nikkie who then shakes the hand of a real estate agent as she agrees to purchase an apartment.

 

Scene 7

Nikkie explains to the audience that she was hired in no time as an art teacher at a public high school. She is introduced by the principal to her first set of students and then later on attempts to ask each student to stand up and introduce them stating their names and hobbies. Halfway through, one of the girls stand up (she is dressed like a boy) and claims her hobby to be painting. Nikkie exclaims that "Marcy" is an odd name for a boy. Marcy is immediately offended when the class "oh's" in splendor and she blurts angrily that she is a girl. Nikkie is also embarrassed at herself.

 

Scene 8

Nikkie arrives at her new apartment where Alaine is at work on her laptop. After being asked, Nikkie explains that her day has been rough and in turn asks Alaine how her work is going. Aliane explains that she has to go back home in a few days. Nikkie expresses resentment and Alaine voluntarily begins to give her a massage. After a while they end up making love.

 

Scene 9

The next day after her art class as the students are leaving, Ray walks in surprising her. He first tries to make her feel comfortable by making small talk and then explains that they should try to make things work. Nikkie disagrees and he grows impatient quickly. Nikkie tries to explain that it would not be fair to him for her to pretend anymore and they argue until Marcy comes and explains that she left some of her art supplies in the classroom. When Marcy is leaving the room Nikkie stops her and explains that Marcy's painting the day before was amazing. Marcy, stunned, blushes and accepts the compliment. When she leaves, Ray asks Nikkie once more what could he do to have her back and she explains that she cannot go back and that he will be better off without her. Heartbroken, he leaves.

 

Scene 10

That night, Nikkie explains to the audience that she never told Alaine about that day but knew Alaine somehow sense some tension. The scene then shows Alaine watching Nikkie sleep for a while and crying. Then she leaves.

 

 

Scene 11

The next day Nikkie wakes up looking around the apartment for Alaine. Then she finds Alaine's note explaining that Nikkie needs time to think things over and that her feelings for her would never change. However, she will give her time to heal and think things through. She asks Nikkie not to try and contact her. Still, Nikkie abruptly picks up the phone and tries to call anyway, but gets the machine and hangs up frustrated.

 

Scene 12

Scenes just shift from her sitting in the chair, picking and hanging up the phone and moving around the apartment restlessly . Then finally it stops at her standing at the window. She then explains to the audience that this is when the numbness ended and she breaks down and cries.

© 2011 Holly O'Brien


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I would definitely watch it! Going through different phases in one's life until you figure out exactly what you want your life to be can sometimes be tricky and complicated, to say the least....especially if your sexual orientation is vastly different from familial expectations, etc.

GREAT JOB!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I would definitely watch it! Going through different phases in one's life until you figure out exactly what you want your life to be can sometimes be tricky and complicated, to say the least....especially if your sexual orientation is vastly different from familial expectations, etc.

GREAT JOB!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 16, 2011
Last Updated on February 16, 2011

Author

Holly O'Brien
Holly O'Brien

Macon, Georgia



About
Well I was born and raised in Nassau, Bahamas but I currently reside in Macon, Georgia where I attend college (IT major). Writing has always been my passion and it always will be. A very good friend .. more..

Writing