The Alternative Office

The Alternative Office

A Story by Lillian
"

I wanted to develop my other story a bit more. They're based off of the same idea, but are two different stories entirely. I plan on continuing this one, but it's still early bits of my writing.

"
God, what's taking him so long? I thought. My boyfriend was supposed to show up an hour ago, but here I am, sitting idly at an office chair, legs propped on top of my significant other's desk with my head tossed back in boredom.
I idly rub my finger against the bag of greasy fast food I'd purchased a while ago. Sadly enough for him, it's long since gone cold. Should I have been a fan of such food, I would've eaten it a long time ago. He deserves it for making me wait this long. 
Sighing, I pull out my phone again. Still no service. Not too unusual, but very inconvenient. In all of my budgeting wisdom, I'd gone with the cheapest prepaid plan I could find. Terrible coverage. Terrible customer service. Great savings. A trade off I was prepared to make, but am now suffering the consequences of. 
Screw it, I'll just message him from home. 
With that idea, I stand up and make my way towards the office door, leaving the brown bag of questionably edible food on his desk. Closing my eyes in exhaustion, I open the door to descend the stairs, only to have my foot completely miss any sort of solid ground.
Shrieking, I begin to fall, only to have my hold on the door knob barely hold, as my other hand desperately grabs at the door frame. Only just, I pull my self back into the office and crawl backwards away from the nothingness that now exists where the stairwell once was.
What the hell!?
Still breathing heavily from nearly falling who knows how far, I get a look at what happened to the exit. An odd black void with swirling purple splotches is the only thing visible. On my knees, I slowly crawl up to the door frame. Still nervous from my almost-fall, I clutch the door frame hard. 
Nothing else exists out there. Just the same bleak expansive abyss everywhere I look. Panic slowly begins to build up in me. I back away from the door frame, jump to my feet, and rush across the office to the windows that overlook the street, knocking around a few chairs in the process.
Oh god...
It's the same. Black and purple. Everywhere. Panic slowly builds up inside of me. I throw open the window and flail my arm around outside. I can feel nothing, not even a slight breeze. I shout and scream for someone, anyone. Running all over the office, I desperately wave around my phone hoping for any sort of reception. Nothing.
Eventually I cry myself out, my throat begins to feel sore, and I begin to calm down, if only because I've simply run out of energy. Not knowing what else to do, I pull of my sweatshirt to use as a pillow, and fall asleep.

© 2019 Lillian


Author's Note

Lillian
Please, give me advice! I'd like to know what you thought about the inner dialogue!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on February 8, 2019
Last Updated on February 8, 2019
Tags: Office, odd, experimental, new, trapped, magical, void, first person, one character

Author

Lillian
Lillian

SD



About
Hello! Aside from what I've learned in highschool, I'm almost entirely new to writing. I've been inspired for a bit though, and have written many (very) short stories, and I wanted to share a few a.. more..

Writing
The Office The Office

A Story by Lillian