Gems in the Fog

Gems in the Fog

A Story by Homesick_Nomad
"

a short piece about a young man who finds a pair of gems in the form of a woman's eyes.

"

Gems in the Fog

James drove down the newly-paved street, listening to the soothing sound his tires made across its surface. He stole a glance over to his passenger, a young lady with soft blonde hair. She sat quietly across the small cabin of his old pickup truck, gazing out the window. Her hair was curled at the ends, falling lightly against her soft white blouse. He smiled brightly, unable to help it. She seemed to sense his eyes upon her and turned towards him, laying her stunning green eyes upon his own. He quickly turned his attention back to the road, a bit embarrassed. The girl giggled quietly, relieving the tension. He was completely flabberghasted that he was even here with her. Dinner had gone well, he hadn’t even said a single idiotic remark, a large victory for him. He glanced to the side once more, this time catching her eyes on him. upon catching his glance, she spoke. her voice was soft, like the  morning call of a songbird. “ You’re nervous aren’t you?”

James felt his cheeks turn a sharp ruby red.
“ Huh? me? no, im fine.”

She giggled again, a sound that made James hold his breath, lest he miss a single moment of it.

“It’s ok to be nervous… I think it’s cute.”

James was growing so warm from embarrassment he feared his eyes would boil within his skull. He silently sent a thankful prayer to God for the song on the radio that caught her attention. She reached over to turn the volume up just as he did. Their hands met on the small knob of the radio. This time, it was she who pulled her hand back. James chuckled quietly and turned up the volume as they chugged along down the street. They sang along to their favourite songs until they reached the drive-in parking lot. James quietly turned the radio down and they both turned their attention to the large screen before their tiny car. In a matter of moments a trailer began to play on the gargantuan screen, filling the open windows of the car with blaring sounds of desperate companies peddling their goods. She unbuckled her seatbelt and moved over a seat closer to James.

“It’s a bit chilly,” She explained. James unbuckled his seatbelt as well, removing his old leather jacket and handing it to her. She smiled, receiving the gift thankfully. She draped it over her body and began to get comfortable. She lay her head lightly on James’s shoulder. The world seemed to freeze. The sweet smell of her perfume was prevalent throughout the cabin of the truck, but he’d been to nervous to notice… until now. The space between them was minimal, at best. Her hair cascaded from his shoulder as she lay there, so peaceful so… perfect. He found himself smirking in delight, quite pleased with his good fortune. As though she felt his joy in her company, she looked up at him, her eyes full of stars. She leaned up, towards him, her lips puckered ever so slightly. He mirrored her action, moving closer to her. As their lips met, a loud beeping sound rang out in his ear. He was thrust awake quite violently, his phone’s alarm screeching in his ear. As he turned off the alarm, he caught a glimpse, a memory of her eyes gazing back at him, with just a hint of her perfume as parting gifts.

© 2013 Homesick_Nomad


Author's Note

Homesick_Nomad
One of my first pieces, i wrote this about a girl in my class. I'm never very confident about my works, as i always feel they could be better, yet i feel attracted to all of them in their own ways. this one stirs emotions of love and wanting within me. I hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoyed writing it :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great piece of work. I love the imagery. I could visualize the scene perfectly. It felt like I was there. I also liked the twist at the end.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 18, 2013
Last Updated on December 18, 2013
Tags: Love Gems Short Writing Dreams H

Author

Homesick_Nomad
Homesick_Nomad

sundown, TX



About
Im just a simple kid who has a passion for writing. I love to be inspired by other's work, and receiving feedback on my own pieces just as much. That's the reason i joined this site, in fact. I needed.. more..

Writing
Sorrow Sorrow

A Story by Homesick_Nomad