The Present

The Present

A Story by Homesick_Nomad
"

a small story with a deeper meaning within it.

"

The snow fell lightly on the window of their small apartment. The heater was set on ‘toasty’ and the rooms were full of light on this night. Christmas Eve. James and she were a strange couple. They had their first real date on Christmas Eve, so they had a funny tradition of giving their presents a night early. She was sure that her present would blow his gift away this year. Last year he’d won their unspoken competition by buying her a stunning diamond necklace, but the golden watch she’d bought him this year (a rather costly one at that) would surely melt his heart. James walked from the kitchen with two mugs of hot chocolate. They sat across from each other in the fire light, looking at each other, slight smirks on both their faces. “He’s confident,” She thought. “But nervous too, he even looks a bit pale.” without a moment to spare, she reached under the tree and grabbed his present, beautifully wrapped in a heart-covered wrapping paper with a velvet red bow. He grasped the present with slightly shaky hands. She watched in joy as he opened the gift. He removed the golden watch, holding it up to the light.

“Wow,” he seemed to whisper. “You know exactly how to get to me, don’t you?” He smiled widely at her.

“Don’t worry,” She said with a smirk.  “I’m sure your gift is a close second.” She smiled jokingly at him, confident that she was the better one in this relationship. But then, James reached into his pocket and handed her a small parcel about twice the size of her fist. She opened it slowly. tears began to form in her eyes as she looked up to him. His soft smile seemed to glow dimly in the gentle light of the room. She clasped her hand over her mouth as he explained.

“I couldn’t get you out of my mind at all this week,” He began. “I couldn’t even think about gifts, much less pick out the perfect one. So i got you this… i hope you like it. Its small and fragile, and i’ll admit has had to be put back together more than once… but its all i thought to get you this Christmas.”

She dropped the box, practically flinging herself into his arms, embracing him tighter than she ever dreamed possible. A small thumping sound came from the box, making a steady rhythm. The small red clump of flesh within still yet beat.

She put her hand upon his chest. There truly was nothing. No movement within. When she looked disbelievingly at him, he pulled down his shirt, revealing a long, slender scar on the left side of his chest. He smiled weakly. “Merry Christmas, love.”

© 2013 Homesick_Nomad


Author's Note

Homesick_Nomad
i know this can't really happen! its a piece of symbolism, and i hope you can see it as such :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

THis is absolutely amazing. I honestly am at a loss for words.

It reminds me of a poem I read once long ago...I believe the last line was "...ei offered his riddled heart..."

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
1 Review
Added on December 18, 2013
Last Updated on December 18, 2013
Tags: Heart Christmas Love Sad Happy

Author

Homesick_Nomad
Homesick_Nomad

sundown, TX



About
Im just a simple kid who has a passion for writing. I love to be inspired by other's work, and receiving feedback on my own pieces just as much. That's the reason i joined this site, in fact. I needed.. more..

Writing
Sorrow Sorrow

A Story by Homesick_Nomad