The Misfortune of Humpty

The Misfortune of Humpty

A Story by HoWiE
"

Disaster strikes at bedtime for a 4 year old Howie...

"
     The worst thing ever had just happened�
     It was bedtime. I pulled Humpty out of his toy box and watched the little, green army men tumbling from his rotund smiling form. (Clearly Wednesday had been mountain training day). Evel Knievel clung resolutely to his foot swinging back and forth, his face a mask of austere concentration � then he dropped. Luckily, a red and blue Play-Doh sausage broke his fall.
     I hefted Humpty up into my arms and hugged him, pressing my nose against his jiggly button eyes and ran my fingers through an excitement of woolly blue hair. That�s when I noticed it.
     Humpty�s right arm flopped back unceremoniously and began to gently spin in a clockwise direction. A tuft of white cotton stuffing poked through a large tear in his side running from his tartan pants to his purple waistcoat. I stared at him horrified; he seemed not to notice, remaining as ever, bubble-eyed and jovial with his left arm half-raised in a cheery wave. I lifted the tattered remains of the other arm, it hung by a single yellow thread.
     I could feel the hot wetness of tears prickling the backs of my eyes. I could tell that he was braving this awful injury purely for my benefit. I tried to press the arm back onto the gap but it fell away, useless and spinning. One of my tears dropped onto Humpty�s plastic button eye and rolled down his felt cheek.
     �Please don�t cry�� I whispered, cradling him gently.
     That�s where Mum found me, sitting beside my toy box in a pool of scattered soldiers, with Humpty in my arms. Wiping away big blurring tears with my pyjama cuffs, I informed her that he was hurt� badly. I sniffed and told her that I feared that he wouldn�t recover. Mum smiled down at me, took him gently from my grasp and told me to follow her.
     In the kitchen we had a First Aid Box, replete with plasters, bandages, gauze pads and Savlon. Carefully, we laid Humpty on the table and with measured skill Mum began to wind a bandage around the injury, pressing his arm against his round tummy. Dad ruffled my hair and told me not to worry, I tried not to, I really tried�
     Mum held Humpty up broken and bandaged but seemingly unbowed. He smiled vacantly at me; I hoped it wasn�t due to the pain.
     I climbed into bed and took Humpty in my arms. Mum told me not to squeeze too hard as he was still healing; I promised not to. I closed my eyes but not before pressing my nose against Humpty�s cheek and telling him I loved him and that everything would be all right � Mum had said so.

     I woke the following morning and blinked against the shaft of summer sun that streamed through the chink in the curtains. I followed the dancing dust motes with my eyes and imagined they were tiny people tossed on a breeze. I could already hear Mum and Dad in the kitchen and smelled toast and bacon. I rolled over and pressed my cheek against Humpty. Everything suddenly came flooding back, the awfulness of it all.
     I sat up and set Humpty on my lap asking him if he had slept okay. Then with all the gravity of a master surgeon, I began to unwind the bandage�

     �Mum! Mum! Mum!!! He�s better, he�s better! He�s all better!� I thundered down the stairs, a herd of elephants in my wake. I crashed into the kitchen, Humpty waggling madly in my arms. Mum and Dad looked up from the table.
     �Look, he�s all better, just like you said!� I gently and amazedly ran a finger down Humpty�s right side, he had healed. Dad grinned and shoved some toast into his mouth and Mum laughed and gave me a wink.
     I hugged Humpty and ran back through the house, tearing up the stairs to show Evel and the members of the Play-Doh Barber shop. They�d be so impressed, I know I was�

Get this widget | Track details | ����������������eSnips Social DNA


[IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t156/b1e9a5r1/chimera/C-21-Gustafson-humptydumpty.jpg[/IMG]

Music by Sigur Ros.

© 2008 HoWiE


Author's Note

HoWiE
And I often wonder how I ended up as a Medic...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a great story, Howie! You've captured that wide-eyed innocence of childhood perfectly! The immediacy of raw emotions, the flights of imaginative fancy, the solemn trust in parents! It makes me realize that the hours of writing letters from the Tooth Fairy in tediously tiny script was probably worth it to my 4 children! I once overheard one telling the other, "But a human could not possibly write this small..."

How many items fit in favorites? You might as well funnel all your stuff directly there!

Posted 16 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well that really does make you go 'awww' it was so touching. Thanks for entering my contest.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aww, this was very sweet.
I think something like this happened to me once.
I can't be sure, but I think my mom fixed something for me once and didn't tell me.
I wish life was like that, you wake up and it's magically better.

This was a joy to read.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
You've depicted both the innocence of a child and the magic of a mother's hand ..
Awesome story
Loved it


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a sweet story. Is it fiction or a childhood memory?

You're a medic!?!

I love Sigur Ros!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is just adorable. Also quite a difference from your usual.
Glad to see it.
Loved it Howie...
Keep it up..

Carla

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very sweet. I remember my son had this stuffed Mickey Mouse he insisted carrying around with him everwhere. After his nose had started to fall off and my friend had to sew it back on for Ethan.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aww, it was like a magical, optimistic humpty-dumpty! I'm so glad he got better this time! Lovely and cute!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love this ! The domestic magic of what a Mum can make right. Wonderful write full of wonder and that inherent simplicity of childhood. I had a rabbit whose leg and head got loved off and my Mum fixed him up good. Loved the description of an excitement of woolly blue hair. I pictured the whole story it was so vivid I lived it. Excellent, in my faves.Sam x

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree, with the other reviews, this is just an excellent story. Great job!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is absolutely adorable AND extremely comical! Truly, I can relate. I hope you still have Humpty. You see, my daughter has a FurReal plush orange cat. She's had it for 5 years. A few years ago we had to do surgery and remove his mechanical...'thing' that was shaped like a sneaker because sitting on it was too painful. She named him "Crookshanks", from the Harry Potter books. A few months ago, a tragedy hit. I went to pick up Crookshanks, but only his head was in my hand!!! I still have his head and body in my closet until the insurance company will pay for his surgery. My daughter, for some strange reason (she's 14), has grown out of playing with Crookshanks. She thinks I'm crazy because I just can't give up on him. I miss being his voice so much. Sometimes I'm still his voice, even though he can't be with us at this time. Sooooo, I sure hope you still have Humpty because, if you don't, you need to go find him! LOL
Excellent story, Howie!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

552 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 9, 2008
Last Updated on April 9, 2008

Author

HoWiE
HoWiE

Plymouth,, Devon, United Kingdom



About
Well, I'm back - it only took 8 years to get over my writer's block! Now 47, older, wiser and, for some reason, now a teacher having left the Armed Forces in 2012. The writing is slow going but .. more..

Writing
Jim Ad Infinitum Jim Ad Infinitum

A Story by HoWiE


Reboot Reboot

A Story by HoWiE



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Albanian The Albanian

A Story by HoWiE


Piglets Piglets

A Story by HoWiE


Beauty in Repose Beauty in Repose

A Story by HoWiE