The Annual Mystical Magic Show

The Annual Mystical Magic Show

A Story by Howling_Wolf
"

sometimes magic is in the tiniest corner of the world

"
I can't believe I've got to spend my summer vacation with my granny in this small town. There isn't even a arcade and no Wifi for miles! My mom wanted me to spend more time with Granny, so she thought it would be a better idea to spend my summer here then 'locked in my room watching TV and beating my high score at the arcade.' Granny doesn't leave her hometown that often, maybe a few times a year; however, she always comes to visit on my birthday. 
When I was born, she gave me charm bracelet, and every year for my birthday she gives me a new charm for it. When I was younger I loved it so much, but now its too old fashioned and girly for me. I still wear it, because its special to me, even if its too fussy. Granny knows I'm not having much fun here, but she is taking me to this festival or whatever tonight to cheer me up.
"So what type of festival are we going too tonight?" I said in a not so thrilled tone of voice.
"It is a little festival the whole town throws together at the end of summer. Their will be little game booths, home cooked food, music, dancing, and a special show at the end of the night," my grandma said with a twinkle in her eye, like she is remembering a fonder time.
To be honest, I almost wanted to faked a stomach cramp to skip the whole thing. However, when granny talked about the festival; she looked so happy that this was going to be my first time going to it. So I figured, I will leave this summer visit on a happier note then when I arrived.  
With Autumn just around the corner, the night air feels so refreshing; not like when I first arrived here. In the distance, I can see some leaves falling off the poplar trees. I may not like that there is no arcade or Wifi here, but I guess the view is nice.
As we approach, we can start to hear the sounds: children  laughing, music that makes you want to dance,  the stomping of people dancing, and  the hooray & whining of people playing at the games booths. As we get closer; we  can smell so many different and delicious treats:  cotton candy, funnel cakes, burgers, hotdogs, cakes, pie's, and snow cones with syrup. Maybe there are some cool things to do at this small town festival.
"So what do you think, Angela?" ask my granny looking a little smug.
"It could be fun." I am trying to hide the small smile tugging at the corners of my mouth as we walk into the festival.
We explored the ground's, and Everyone was having a great time. A older couple is dancing with each other, kids playing leap frogs,  teenagers trying to win stuffed animals for their date at the game booth, and little grandmas working at the sweets to eat booth. Everyone looks like they're  genuinely having fun.
I decided to grab a funnel cake and a cup of apple cider while granny is talking to her neighbors. As I am waiting for her conversation to end; I wanted to try out a couple of the games booths: there is a  bean bag throwing, ring toss, and lawn bowling. I see a stuffed tiger that I have to have. However, my arcade skills didn't translate in ring tossing. When I was about to give up; granny came over and won the tiger for me. I guess she can be cool after all.  
It was getting late, and I thought the festival was just about over until a booming voice came from nowhere.
"LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, KID'S OF ALL AGES! ITS TIME FOR THE FESTIVAL CONCLUSION, THE ANNUAL MYSTICAL MAGIC SHOW! EVERYONE GRAB A SEAT, AND  BE PREPARE TO BE AMAZED!"
Before I know what's going on, everyone is rushing to find a seat for the show. I don't see what the big deal is about some smoke and mirror Magician. I am too old to believe in that stuff, but granny looks like a kid after the announcement: eyes wide, cheeks flushed, and a wide smile, like she won at Bingo. I guess I can watch this guy pull a rabbit from his hat to make her happy.
When we get to the staged area is packed; Some parents have their kids on their backs or even shoulders to see the stage. 

The man with the booming voice, a masked magician appeared on stage now: " I HOPE EVERYONE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME TONIGHT, AND WHO CAN COMPLAIN: WE HAVE GOOD FOOD, GREAT COMPANY, A LOVELY BREEZE, AND  THE WORLDS BIGGEST SPOTLIGHT THE BEAUTIFUL BLUE MOON. I WONDER IF THE MAN ON THE MOON CAN SEE US FROM UP THERE."
He pulled out the usual items of the trade: a box of cards, rings, rope, a wand, and a top hat. He did some pretty impressive card trick, he cut the rope and made it whole again, and he even levitated a chair with a person on it; I am in awe about that one.  
The magic show seems to be winding down. Then the magician announces, "LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, I NEED A VOLUNTEER FROM THE AUDIENCE FOR MY TRICK OF THE NIGHT! HOW ABOUT YOU, YOUNG LADY, WITH THE CHARM BRACELET AND STUFFED TIGER?" he asks, and the entire audience looks at me.

I don't really want to go up there on stage, but Granny is giving me that look that says 'go on now.' So I reluctantly walk up on the stage.

"FOR MY NEXT TRICK, I WILL NEED TO BORROW YOUR CHARM BRACELET; WILL THAT BE ALRIGHT WITH YOU?!"

"I don't see why not." He paid close attention to the charms on my bracelet, and selected three for his trick. I wonder what he will do?
"I HAVE SELECTED THREE CHARMS TO DO MY LAST TRICKS OF THE NIGHT: A DISCO BALL, A FROG ,AND A RABBIT! YOU ALL MUST BE CURIOUS WHAT WILLHE DO?  WELL BE PREPARED TO BE AMAZED! FOR MY FIRST TRICK, I WILL DROP THE DISCO BALL CHARM INTO MY HAT AND BRING BACK THE 70'S!" 
I'm very skeptical about his proclaim 'Bringing back the 70's.' I just hope I get my charms back after the show. He dropped my charm into his top hat, gives it a tap with his magic wand, and started to roll the charm in the hat. I noticed the sound coming from the hat sounding different; then he took both hands grabbing the hat firmly and threw a full size disco ball from the hat. It flew in the air until it landed on his wand; then a string attached to the wand and  the disco ball. It started to  spin and light up like it was working.
"NOW LETS SEE WHAT INSIDE MY HAT: I HAVE A BRADY BUNCH LUNCHBOX, SOME TRACK TAPES, A TOY VW BEETLE CAR, A LAVA LAMP, AND SOME BELL BOTTOM'S. I THINK MY HAT AND MARY POPPINS HAND BAG WERE MADE BY THE SAME PERSON! I CERTAINLY FEEL PSYCHEDOLIC AND NOSTALGIC AFTER THAT TRICK! NOW FOR MY NEXT TRICK, I WILL USE  THE FROG CHARM!" 
Okay, I will admit that was pretty spectacularly done trick. After the trick was done; he shoved everything back inside the hat, then he pulled out my disco ball charm. I used to love going to my local roller rink on night when they brought out the disco ball. That's what inspired granny to get that charm for me.
"I WILL NOW ATTEMPT TO TURN THIS FROG CHARM INTO A REAL ONE! WATCH CLOSELY AS I PUT THE CHARM IN MY HAT!"
Just like before he dropped the charm into the hat, and gives it a tap of the wand. He looked baffled when nothing happened; so he gives it another tap, then another, and another until a chorus of frogs leaped from the hat!
"LADIES AND GENTLEMAN DONT BE ALARMED!" He grabs one, and with lite tap of the wand the squirming frogs turn into confetti.
"THEY ARE JUST MADE OF CONFETTI, BUT ONLY MY MAGIC WAND CAN TURN THEM INTO IT! COULD MY VOLUNTEER HELP ME GATHER THE FROGS?! IF WE DONT TURN THEM BACK INTO CONFETTI; YOU WONT BE ABLE TO GET YOUR CHARM BACK!"
I just wanted to eat some funnel cake, drink some cider, and win a tiger. I didn't sign up to be a frog catcher. However, I wanted my charm back; so I helped the masked magician out. Catching the frogs made me remember why granny gave me that charm in the first place. Their was a creek not to far from the house I grew up in, and everyday I tried to catch a frog and fail miserably every time. So she gave me that charm, and so I could say ' I finally caught one.'
"THANK YOU MY LOVELY VOLUNTEER FOR CATCHING THE LITTLE RASCALS; HERE IS YOUR BELOVED CHARM! NOW FOR THE FINALLY, I WILL TURN THIS RABBIT CHARM INTO A DRAGON. I'M JOKING, I WILL TURN THIS CHARM INTO A MAGICIAN BEST FRIEND, A ADORABLE RABBIT. CROSS YOUR FINGERS EVERYONE THAT THIS TIME IT WORKS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! "
Just like he said everyone was crossing there finger's ,even granny. I actually hate to admit it, but I am crossing my finger's too. I'm nervous and excited to see the trick being done. He dropped the charm into his hat, and as he ,himself crossed his own finger, gives the hat a lite tap with the wand. The whole crowd was crossing their fingers and holding their breath at the same time. I thought maybe it didn't work, until I saw the hat move.
"LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, YOU ALL ARE THE TRUE MAGICIANS  TONIGHT ,BECAUSE YOU FIXED MY HAT! HELLO LITTLE GUY; I'M SORRY LITTLE GIRL! I BET YOU ARE HUNGRY; SAY MY VOLUNTEER YOU HAVE A  LITTLE DIRT BEHIND YOUR EAR! I WONDER!"
I almost wanted to tell the magician off, then he pulled a bright orange carrot from behind my ear. He asked, 'would you like to feed her", and I couldn't say no. When I was growing up, I had a bunny rabbit named Spot; because he was a white rabbit with a big black spot on his back. One day, when I was cleaning his cage in the fenced in backyard; he dug a hole under the fence and ran away. I cried for weeks until granny gave me my rabbit charm; she even took the time to paint a black spot on the rabbit charm back.
"I'M SORRY MISS, BUT SHE IS ONLY HERE FOR A VISIT! I NEED HER BACK!"
I finally said a proper goodbye to Spot; I hope you had a good life my friend. He put the rabbit inside the hat, and with a tap of the wand the rabbit was no more. He handed me my rabbit charm back, and he said 'You can go back to my seat.'
LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, THANK YOU ALL FOR STOPPING BY TO SEE MY SHOW, AND I CANT WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR SHOW. HOWEVER UNTIL THAN, I BID YOU ALL FAREWELL"
Just like he arrived; he disappeared into a puff of smoke. As we walked back to grannies house she asked me;' did you enjoy yourself?' I was quiet for a bit remembering everything that happened this night.
"I did have a great time tonight granny. You maybe not have a WIFI or a arcade, but you do have one hell of a festival." She looked positively glowing with happiness after hearing me say that. I guess I did end my visit on a happier note.

© 2018 Howling_Wolf


Author's Note

Howling_Wolf
I like to thank my friend Lost for giving me inspiration for writing this. If there is any mistakes in here I missed. Could you point them out, so I can corrected it. I hope you enjoy this.

Special thanks to Andronicus for extra editing advice.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dylan, this is a very enjoyable piece of writing. I was actually surprised how you drew me in because normally I am not very good at reading longer stories. I wanted to know about this country festival and you delivered! I enjoyed all the little details and descriptions. Great story. :) Keep writing!

There are a lot of spelling errors in this story. I'm going to message you with them because I think it might be easier that way. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Dylan, this is a very enjoyable piece of writing. I was actually surprised how you drew me in because normally I am not very good at reading longer stories. I wanted to know about this country festival and you delivered! I enjoyed all the little details and descriptions. Great story. :) Keep writing!

There are a lot of spelling errors in this story. I'm going to message you with them because I think it might be easier that way. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so beautiful. The mystery of wonder literally trouncing on the cynicism that develops as we get older. Your descriptions of the place was lively and vivid.

But the trick itself was absolutely magical 😁.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I'm truly blown away by this piece, Dylan. Thank you for the acknowledgment even though this was all you and a very well crafted story. I am grateful I could be of some of some inspirational help, and I am very proud and delighted to see this piece come to fruition. You had me hooked from start to finish, very cleverly written and expressed. I hope you're very satisfied, I feel this came out great!



Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1518 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 15, 2016
Last Updated on August 26, 2018
Tags: Slice of life, Magic

Author

Howling_Wolf
Howling_Wolf

VA



About
My name is Dylan, and I'm trying to be writer. I like to write about anything that my mind makes up, mostly Fantasy based stories. I hope to grow as a writer here, and possible make friends as well. .. more..

Writing