Holding a hand

Holding a hand

A Story by I.touchy
"

This is the story of a girl who has made her last request to read a touching story.

"
My name is Benjamin and I'm just your regular student studying in college and working as a ghostwriter in a small publishing company. Well, I haven't really been living decently at all since I'm just eating fast food and instant noodles. So I thought stuff like this might happen because of my lifestyle but this..
This is absurd.
I didn't really die to anything of the sort but direction my life was going was absurd. To start things off was my unpopularity with girls, losing my money to scams, items not dropping down vending machines and unluckiness were the very things that are able to define my life. But today, it might not really have been an unlucky but an unfortunate event.
I received a letter meant for someone else today, being a kind person and respecting the contents of the letter, I went to the return address written on the letter to personally return the later.
“Um.. Hello. I received this letter in my letterbox today, I think you might have accidentally sent this to the wrong address.” I informed, giving my best first impression of myself to the person opening the door.
“Hey kid, you mind helping?” He asked, completely ignoring the letter.
“Sure, but I might not be of help.” I replied.
“Thanks, sorry about this and the letter.” He apologized.
Bringing me into his house, I only assumed that he needed some help with the home appliances but my guess didn't hit it's target.
“Hey, can you talk to my daughter?” He asked.
“I don't mind, but why?” I replied, asking why he would ask such a question.
Telling me more about his daughter as he brought me to her room. Carrie Woods, a nine year old girl who lost both her parents at the age of two and die to not haven't any relatives she was sent to the orphanage until she was six years old when Frank Woods adopted her. She has been spending her whole life in her room since she has a fragile heart because of this, her time left to live might not be long.
“Idiot!” She insulted.
“Huh?” I gasped, popping a vein.
“I wonder why you would say something like that.” I scoffed, her for her insult.
“It's because you're treating me like a child, idiot.” Carrie informed, passing me the salt.
“Hahaha… A child is a child…” I frowned, forcing a smile.
“Hmph, I know much more about the world than world than you.” Carrie bragged,
“I personally read and memorize all the contents of the books in here!” She added, looking down on me.
“But Carrie, there are wonderful things in this world that are not in books.” I informed, trying to act cool and to change the topic.
“Can you answer all the legal codes this country has?” Carrie questioned,
“Explain every type of chemical reaction in detail and their respective products.” She asked, lowering her expectations.
Unable to answer her questions, I gave up and apologized to her before explaining the situation to her. With no ability to change her state the only thing I could ask her before she had to go was what her last request was.
“As you can see, I love books..” Carrie said.
“I want to read a story that can touch my heart with family as it's theme.” Carrie informed, stating her last request.
“It's just a job suited for me! I'll give you a tear jerking story by tomorrow!” I bragged, having confidence in my ghostwriting skills.
The next day when I came back to give her the story I made overnight, upon receiving my draft she barely took an hour to finish reading it. Before I could ask what she thought of it, she executed it by ripping it apart.
“Not good at all.” Carrie informed, shrugging her shoulders.
“I took you a little too lightly. Next, I'll really show you the skills of a pro.”
Again, when I returned to give her another draft, she executed my draft again by throwing it on the bin.
After continuing her killing spree on my drafts continuously for a week, she finally stopped killing my drafts and started to talk about her thoughts about it.
“I think this is well made.” Carrie commented, putting my draft away.
Finally getting an answer from her was like a once in a lifetime thing, when I was enjoying my time being happy from getting a reply from her, she killed it off again with her cold words.
“But it's not good enough.” She informed.
“How…?” I asked, getting nervous.
“I think a good text is made by mixing various different styles of writing but, your story is missing one vital thing.” Carrie explained while pointing out my mistake.
“That is?” I asked.
“There are no words from yourself.” She replied, frowning at me.
Taking what she said into my head, I immediately got lost in thought when I left her room. There's nothing left in my head, nowhere left to find inspiration and no energy left to write anything for her. Staying deep in my thoughts, I couldn't think up anything to write but only an idea to convey my emotions to her.
“Here you are.” Carrie greeted.
“You better move my heart today.” She chuckled, expecting me to give her my story
“No, I didn't write one today.” I informed, taking a seat next to her.
“Huh? Why not!?” She questioned.
“Hey, just listen.” I said.
After taking a deep breath, I did what I planned yesterday night, to convey my emotions to her.
“I thought about it in my own way… family.” I said, lowering my head.
“And so I thought.” I added.
“Let's say I lined up a hundred million words… Let's say you were satisfied with that, how much meaning would that hold?” I asked, getting hypothetical.
“In in the end, what can be conveyed with words is only a fleeting emotion, right?” I added.
“I think there's something more important.” I informed.
“Give me your hand.” I said, putting out my hand.
“What?” She asked.
“Hold hands with me.” I informed.
“Take my word for it and just try holding hands.” I informed, giving her a pitiful smile on my face.
“Family.. No, you should be able to understand a lot more than that.” I added.
Slapping away my hand, she was already grinding her teeth in anger, surprising me.
“Don't mess around with me.” She frowned.
“What do you mean, hold hands? In the end you're trying to trick me because I'm a child!” Carrie howled.
“I want to read it in a book. It's not good if it's not a book.” She complained.
She doesn't want to start knowing about the universe other than through books because she's always been reading books. Her whole life revolves around books, no television or comics. Just books.
Since her mom and dad had passed away when she was young, she barely remember their faces and how the behaved around her. Her only wish it's too know how a family was like but I just couldn't seem to convey it to her.
“WHY WON'T YOU GRANT IT!!?” Carrie snapped.
Lowering my head in regret and anger but my actions have seemed to made the situation worse.
“What is this, acting speechless now?” Carrie questioned, getting haughty.
“HEY, TELL ME! DOES A MOM SMELL GOOD!?” Carrie howled, questioning me.
“IS A DAD'S BACK BROAD? HEY!!” She added, howling at me.
“........” I grumbled.
“WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! SAY IT CLEARLY!” She howled, snapping at me.
Taking a deep breath and staring at into her eyes, I gave a stare capable of decapitating her or staring into her soul. Getting impatient with me she started yelling at me for my answer, I gave her my reply.
“Like I'd know.”

© 2018 I.touchy


Author's Note

I.touchy
Ignore grammar problems I'm new

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on January 22, 2018
Last Updated on January 22, 2018

Author

I.touchy
I.touchy

Singapore



About
Instagram: @i.touchy Still new to writing. Prepare for random weird fucked up stories. I have a tendency to stop continuing on stories if it's not interesting . My goal: Write a better love stor.. more..

Writing