An Amazing Discovery in the Indian Ocean

An Amazing Discovery in the Indian Ocean

A Story by I.S. Hayes
"

A man washes up on an island in the Indian Ocean. He keeps a mental log to stave off insanity.

"
I washed up on this island about four hours ago. I’m somewhere in the Indian Ocean I think. I was on a cruise ship sailing into Australia, but a large storm struck a few days before we would have arrived. I believe I was drifting in the open ocean for three days before I ended up here. In my short time I’ve fashioned a small hut and a makeshift fishing pole. There are all kinds of fish in the water and I can’t wait to get a bite of one.
I’ve been stranded on this island nine days now. I’ve decided to keep a mental log of my experiences to keep me sane. It really isn’t that bad here, I wake up every morning and eat berries i foraged for the day before. I spend my morning fishing then take a short nap. I wake in the afternoon and walk about the trees for awhile. Small berries grow on most of the trees here so I always pick some while I’m out. This really is a beautiful place, there are crystal blue waters with reefs and animals swimming around. I live on a lovely beach that gets plenty of shade from the dense jungle. Don’t even get me started on the fauna the friendliest monkeys, colorful birds, tiny snakes which taste delicious. This is a paradise, honestly I was rather depressed back home. Countless hours in the office and a turbulent family life was really starting to catch up to me.
Day nineteen on the island, well night I suppose. There’s screaming out in the jungle. I think one of the monkeys is hurt. I’m armed with a spear i use to fish, I’m heading in.
This jungle seem much more intimidating at night. My spear is starting to break apart from using it to cut down brush, but I’m almost to the screaming so it’s fine. I’ll take the monkey back to my camp and nurse it back to health. Maybe we’ll become best friends who will one day travel back to Sydney together.
My God I don’t believe it. There is a tribe living on the island. They seem so primitive, I don’t think they’ve ever had contact with the outside world. This is an amazing discovery, I need to study them. This is going to make me famous!
I’ve now been on this island twenty six days. I wish i had some paper it’s going to be impossible to remember everything I’ve learned about these people. Religiously they worship a giant snake being. They call it “Miklik”. They write in a pictographic language so I can vaguely make out what it is they are trying to write. Miklik lives in the sky and demands sacrifices or else he will descend and consume the tribe. I’m not really sure what they sacrifice to it though, they use the same symbol for all their livestock. Speaking of livestock they raise cows, sheep, and goats. It’s bizarre i haven’t seen these animals anywhere else on the island. They keep all their animals in stone buildings, I can only see what they keep in the building when they’re brought out. There is one building that they haven’t brung anything out of yet though. They seem to only bring animals out for collecting their goods. Milking the cows and goats, shearing the sheep that stuff. They seem to be a vegetarian people, they don’t slaughter any of their animals. They eat the same berries I gather from the jungle. I haven’t seen them wearing clothes since the night I found them. They were all draped in white robes, they must have been having a holiday. They live in a circular village with houses like the ones they keep the animals in except these lack doors. In the center is a wooden altar with a fire pit dug under it which must be where they make the sacrifices. I know it’s sadistic but I am beyond excited to see a sacrifice. More updates coming soon.
I’m hyperventilating, i need to calm down. It’s disgusting just vial. I now know what they keep in the fourth stone building. It is um the fifty fourth day I’ve been on this island. It got dark maybe thirty five minutes ago, that’s when all the villagers exited their homes wearing the white robes. Three men entered the fourth stone building. I heard human screaming echoing from inside. The men drug a white man out of the building. He screamed in tongues and thrashed about as they pinned him to the altar. Four villagers stood around the altar as the others held the white man down. They put one knife through each of his hands and one through each foot effectively nailing him to the table. The white man jerked and twisted on the altar screaming incoherent babble. A villager in a black robe approached. He produced an obsidian dagger from his robe, he used it to peel a strip of skin from the white mans chest. Then he ate it. The other villagers formed a ring around the altar. The dagger was passed around and each copied the actions of the man in the black robe. The white man screamed as the villagers skinned him. After each man, woman, and child got a piece of skin the man in the black robe covered the white man in a strange oil. The man in the black robe then removed a metal rod from the fire. He proceeded to brand the man with the rod which left the symbol they use to represent Miklik. After he was branded the villagers stepped away from the man and watched him. They stood for roughly thirty five minutes when the oil leaked off the altar and into the fire below. The man went up in a massive explosion. At this point I couldn’t help myself anymore, I threw up. The villagers must of heard me. Three men are running towards me with obsidian knives. I’m darting through the jungle trying to escape them.
I’M IN THE STONE BUILDING. Ok ok what happened. I was running through the jungle then...I don’t know. These people are feral they bite and scratch each other as defense. They eat the scraps the villagers don’t. I believe this floor is covered in their excrement. The villagers must have bred these people for centuries. They communicate in grunts and they walk on all fours. It’s an amazing psychological discovery. There are etchings all over the walls, they’re faded but I think they’re Latin. I can’t understand them exactly but it seems like they tell the story of how the people got here. A large ship wreck, some sort of battle with the natives, their eventual capture and enslavement. I can’t believe it the ancient romans had knowledge of Oceania. Oh what the dark ages did to us. Maybe I can reason with the villagers. They seem to be an orderly society.
It’s day eighty nine I think. All of my cell mates started screaming about thirty five minutes ago. I’m not sure what’s going on but whatever. I tried reasoning with the villagers, I should have known better. They hear English as the same nonsense these feral people speak. They’re pushing now, not each other just one woman to the front of the crowd. THE DOOR IS OPENING! THEY TOOK THE WOMAN AND POINTED AT ME! WHY DID THEY POINT AT ME? Oh lord. They were wearing the robes. Wait does this mean I’m next. She’s screaming they must be sacrificing her now. Everyone else has gone still and quiet. I just heard a blast, that must have been her being lit on fire. OH LORD WHAT IS THAT! A great roar from the sky what is this place. I miss my office, I miss my b***h sister, I miss civilization.
I figured it out. Thirty five must be some kind of holy number to them. The first sacrifice was on my nineteenth day, the next fifty fourth, then the eighty ninth. One every thirty five days and today is day one hundred twenty four. I will be killed today, obviously at this point any hopes of being found have been abandoned. I have found a subtle comfort in my demise. At least I’ll be off this island soon. Through the cracks of the door I can see that it has gotten dark out, a fire has been lit, and three men stand outside the door. I am calm.
NOT CALM! NOT CALM! THE FERAL PEOPLE ARE PUSHING ME TOWARDS THE DOOR! I CAN’T FIGHT THEM I’M TOO WEAK FROM STARVATION! IT’S OPENING.NO NO!
I-its so cold. The wind stings my tendons and freezes them solid. This oil smells awful. How long has it been on now, no.
Why doesn’t it burn, the flames are consuming me. My chest doesn’t sting anymore either. Am I dead? Something is slithering down from the sky. Could it be the hand of God reaching to take me to heaven.
A great roar just echoed from the slithering thing.

© 2019 I.S. Hayes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on February 6, 2019
Last Updated on February 6, 2019
Tags: Horror, survival

Author