The Phoenix Is A Fool, the Turtle, Wise

The Phoenix Is A Fool, the Turtle, Wise

A Poem by IceDragonOfPluto
"

Based on Shakespeare's "The Phoenix and the Turtle." This is what the turtledove would say to the legendary phoenix in regards to how the phoenix is full of youth and vigor. It will always return.

"

The phoenix is a fool, the turtle wise
Beyond her years, yet bound to her weak heart.
When witnessing the phoenix die, her eyes
Are filled with sorrow. Her soul is torn apart
As her, once bright, lover succumbs to death's
All embracing shade of true nothingness.
Now, the turtle, in a tragic last breath,
Dies from a broken heart of emptiness
Saying, "I know you shall return, my love,
But I am a mere mortal bound to life
And you will move on to another dove
To follow you and then realize this knife
Forever cuts the string that binds our fate
When you look for me, seeing it's too late."

 

 

 

 

© 2011 IceDragonOfPluto


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

IceDragonOfPluto
Based on Shakespeare's "The Phoenix and the Turtle." This is what the turtledove would say to the legendary phoenix in regards to how the phoenix is full of youth and vigor. It will always return. However, the turtledove grows old and is susceptible to a mortal's fate. It grows, it learns and finally realizes it will not live with the phoenix forever. However, the phoenix will only know what it remembered when it died (when it comes back).

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow really well done, its sad yet gives me a good feeling when I read this, a great piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Deep, meaningful, and sorrowful; in a way.
You could say the quote "Let something go, if it comes back to you it was yours; if it doesn't, it was never meant to be" only magnifying the last part to say they both did care, but it would never work out. But they still love no matter what.

Maybe I need to start reading the originals that these are based off. It would help me get a grasp on what the actual thing is.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Sad for both the Phoenix and the Turtle (My favorite among Gods creatures). Right now though I wish I were the Phoenix.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
4 Reviews
Added on September 20, 2011
Last Updated on September 20, 2011

Author

IceDragonOfPluto
IceDragonOfPluto

About
My pen name is IceDragonOfPluto. I am a proud Scorpio. I'm dark and dreary but I have many hopes and dreams. I love to read and write poems. My writng style is what you may call Dark Romanticism. I lo.. more..

Writing