We Are Free

We Are Free

A Story by Vivian
"

The price of freedom is too great

"

If a war can’t tell who’s right, why do we fight?

                Sonny ran, farther and farther away. His raspy breaths and sweaty hands told him, ‘Keep running!’ He tripped over a pipe and fell face first into the wired fence. He scrambled to his knees, coughing up the dirt that was in his system. A hole in the fence caught his eye. He dove into it, clawed his way through, and rolled down the hill into thorny bushes. Thrashing his way out, he ran.

                It didn’t matter that his cuts were bleeding or that his glasses was missing a lens. He had to run, run away from the mess he was caught in.

Why are the innocent always the first victims?

                The officers kicked a man onto the street. Filing into a line, the officers assumed position as they pointed their guns at him. Coughing blood, the man struggled to his knees. His hair was covered with dirt and dust. His lip was bleeding and he had a black eye. A glint of determination clouded his weary eyes.

                Raising both his arms into the air, he wheezed, “I will not surrender.” In the glowing neon lights that bordered the wrecked buildings, the words ‘Freedom is a caged word’ flashed into view. Those five words were stamped across the back of the man’s shirt. And after the officers took their shot, those words were stained with freedom’s color.

Why? Why? Why?

                “Sir, the Resistance isn’t falling, Sir! What do we do? Sir!”

                “Take down their leader.” The Chief pointed to the face on the mega screen. A boy, hardly older than eighteen, chanted the words the Resistance had been chanting all night long.

                We are free! We are free! We are free!”

                “Find him. Kill him. Bring his cold body so all can see.”

                “Yes, Sir!” The officer brought along buddies and they combed the deserted buildings and streets for the boy. Along the way, they found a girl. “Drop the camera!” The girl raised brought both of her arms into the air. “Take off the glasses! And the scarf! And the hat!” Pulling off her shades, she tossed them back. Pulling her off her flowing scarf, she wrapped it around her arm. Pulling her cap off, her red hair flowed past her shoulders. But she still had her camera. “Drop the camera! I’m warning you!”

                The girl shook her head, her eyes narrowing. “I can’t let you kill him.” In a swift motion, she was on the offensive. The men shot and pounded punches, but she slipped away from all of them. “Say ‘Cheese’.” She pressed a button and the camera’s flash popped open and blinded the men. Grabbing one of their guns, she shot them. “One in the leg, two in the arm, and three…” Her voice trailed off when a certain officer struggled onto his knees.

                “S-Spare m-me…” He clawed his way to the girl and tugged at her shoes lace. “P-Please…” She lowered her gun. The officer’s eyes teary eyes sparkled before rolling back into his head. His hand trembled before falling off the girl’s shoe. Smoothing out her scarf, she wrapped it around the dead man’s neck.

                “Sorry. Can’t have survivors.” Hiding her camera in her coat, she ran. Jumping down into an underground train system, she shook the doorknob on the security door. Through the window, she saw her boyfriend look up.

                We’re leaving. Now, she said with her eyes.

                He nodded. Looking into the camera, he threw a peace sign before smashing the camera lens and the camera itself with a brick. Grabbing his jacket, he slipped on his shoes and rammed the security door open with his shoulder.

                “Was smashing it necessary?” The girl asked. Pulling his hood on, her boyfriend winked.

                “I’ll buy you another when we win the war. Let’s go.” Rolling her eyes, she grabbed his extending hand and the two ran up the stairs, ready to assist their fallen comrades.

We all know how war ends. But who truly wins?

                From the top of a collapsed building, Sonny witnessed his comrades and the rest of the Resistance getting pushed into the middle of the street. The flashy colors of the different groups reminded Sonny of the rainbow candy he used to eat when he was little. But this rainbow batch was filled with the bitter taste of hatred and defeat. Forced to be on their knees, their hands were placed on the back of their heads.

                Scanning his eyes, Sonny saw his best friend, Tom. The tall boy punched and shoved the officers away from him as he clawed his way to freedom. Even from a distance, Sonny could see the blood spilling over Tom’s scraped fingers. Sonny couldn’t look away as Tom was kicked down. Grabbing his collar, an officer lifted him into the air. Tom gasped, trying to rip himself free.

                “This is what happens when you want freedom.” The officer pointed his gun under Tom’s chin. Sonny looked away, the gun shot echoing into his mind and heart. He tore off his bandanna and threw it to the ground as hot tears dripped down his cheeks. The words ‘We Are Free’ were etched across his bandanna.

                Snorting and wiping his eyes and nose with his sleeve, Sonny whispered, “Tom, you’re free.”

© 2014 Vivian


Author's Note

Vivian
One day I was asked, "Can you write a pretend movie trailer?" And here's my attempt at it. You can take this story in any direction you want, this is just a "make-believe" trailer. Here's some trailer music to get you sucked into the piece. http://youtu.be/BeEDQMLtyGY

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on August 23, 2014
Last Updated on August 23, 2014
Tags: freedom, war, internet, Resistance

Author

Vivian
Vivian

About
I play the viola, a Mythbuster's fan, play bit of the piano, and my favorite subjects are history and science. My fanfiction.net account is Ideas265 and my Deviantart account is ideas265artist http.. more..

Writing
Moving On Moving On

A Story by Vivian


Friendship Friendship

A Story by Vivian