Understand

Understand

A Story by Holly
"

This is Gail Godwin's story A Sorrowful Woman, rewritten from the point of view of the character's young son.

"

   Once upon a time there was a son who didn’t…

I drew a doggy for Mommy but Daddy is the one making me go to bed. He is reading about Eddie the monkey but he is not as good at telling the story as Mommy. I love my mommy and daddy.

 

Mommy is putting away dishes. Why is she upset? Daddy takes her upstairs. I tell her it is ok but she just screams. I am scared but Daddy says she is just sick. I go to my room and then it is quiet. Daddy comes in and gives me my clean pajamas. There is no story tonight.

 

Mommy just stays in bed. Me and Daddy play outside then make dinner. I guess boys can make dinner too. I wear my dinosaur pj’s and pick the story about George the turtle. Daddy is still nervous about reading me stories.

 

I play pretend with Mommy. Grr…I’m a tiger! My claw cut her by accident. Mommy is mad. She tells me to go away and I want to cry. She goes to her room. I am alone. Sara comes. She usually does not come unless Mommy is gone too.

 

Mommy hit me! I cry and run from her. Mommy cries and says sorry. Daddy takes her upstairs.

 

Now a girl lives here. Me and her clean the room and she makes me lunch. We paint it white. We race to the mailbox. She is really fast. I won but almost didn’t. Then we put pictures on the wall that she made herself. She makes us dinner which makes me happy. She reads me a story. Her name is Mary.

 

Mary is so funny and all the time I tell her about my day. Now Mommy and Daddy look happy and smile. Do I make them sad?

 

Me and Mary have a grasshopper from the outside park. I give it to Mommy. She does not like it. It scares her so she screams. Mary picks it up from the floor and puts it outside.

 

I think Mary and Mommy are fighting. I can hear Mary crying. I go downstairs and hug Mary. She walks out the door with her stuff.

 

I have not seen Mommy in a long time. Daddy is supposed to read me a story but he is sleeping in my bed. What am I supposed to do now? I walk to Mommy’s door even though Daddy told me not too. I want to see her so I open the door. I tell her Daddy is in my bed. I want her to please let me with you but she has left to wake Daddy already. I stay in my bed.

 

Mommy stays in Mary’s room. Me and Daddy visit her every night with drawings and kisses. Daddy tells me that I cannot see Mommy anymore.

 

We slide things under the door. Me drawings and Daddy puts love notes maybe. I accidently forgot mine today. I am tired.

 

It is warm outside now. Me and Dad come home and she left fresh bread for us. I make her a good drawing.

 

Me and Dad come home. She made a lot of food and clothes and stuff. It smells good. Dad runs in her room and I do too. She is tired from doing everything again. Dad looks at her eyes and listens to her chest. Dad looks at her puts his head in her hair. He looks so sad so I ask if we can have some of her turkey for supper. I love my mommy and daddy.

 

…understand that his mother will never wake up.

© 2017 Holly


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice one and i liked it. keep going

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
1 Review
Added on July 4, 2017
Last Updated on September 23, 2017
Tags: understand, sorrow, woman

Author

Holly
Holly

OR



About
Dreams of getting a degree in psychology. Would like to work with inmates to help rehabilitate properly. I don't believe in good and evil. I simply believe in people in situations. more..

Writing
All Alone All Alone

A Story by Holly


Ambition Ambition

A Poem by Holly


Small Talk Small Talk

A Poem by Holly