Dedication to Marlin

Dedication to Marlin

A Story by Samee's twin sis- Shandi
"

This is for my manager. My twin sis helped me write it.

"

“Pose baby. Sweat. Let me see you work it. That a girl.” the photographer yelled over all of the music.

“Come on, let me see you work. Come on, work it. That’s it. Let’s go!”

Snap! Snap! Snap!

“Cut the music!” the director walked over to Shandi, his beautiful teenaged model, forcefully. “Listen, Shandi. This isn’t working out. I need you to have more poise. Look tired but poise. We’re promoting sports drinks and I need you to look tired like you need a…” the photographer paused and waited for Shandi to finish the rest.

“Sports drink, yes I know.” Shandi finished.

“Alright, promote it!” the photographer yelled as he walked back to the camera.

 

Freeze! Okay, so my life isn’t always like this. Most of the time, my photographer isn’t so picky. He only has to take only like ten shots but this photographer has made me pose for over two hundred shots. I was tired, sweaty, and unprepared for this picture. I think that’s what he wanted.

But I’m jumping way ahead of myself. Why don’t I tell you what it’s really like being a model in New York City. Of course, I can’t explain to you the whole life. Why don’t I just give you the life of my day today. It’s one of the most difficult days in my life.

I’ll start with 5 o’clock AM when I had to wake up and go for my morning jog.

 

The alarm clock screamed. Shandi Keeler quickly pulled her pillow over her head to drown out the noise. It would not shut up.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Shandi reached her hand out and smashed down the snooze button. Her feet flew out of the bed and she was up for the day. With a scratch on the head, Shandi threw on her sports bra and sopphie shorts. She jogged down the stairs to her remodeled, large apartment and ran outside.

The nice summer breeze blew threw her hair as she jogged the back roads of the city. Shandi threw her iPod headphones in her ear and turned up the volume to drown out the city cars and shows.

Running quickly, Shandi started to sweat and feel the burn in her lungs. After a small rest, she started her way back to her apartment.

Shandi barged through the doors and walked up the stairs. The shower turned on as she entered her bathroom.

She threw her clothes to the ground and held a towel to her body as she let her hair down from a ponytail and dropped the towel to the ground.

Shandi entered the shower and let the water hit her body.

 

Okay, okay. I know. The shower isn’t the big part of my life. The biggest part is around the time I get out of the shower and the rest of the day.

“Shandi!” Marlin, her manger, exclaimed. “Hurry up, doll. We have to leave for your photo-shoot.”

Shandi rolled her eyes and threw the towel over her body and quickly dressed. She left her hair like it was; wet. Her makeup artists were going to take care of her look.

 

 

On the way to the studio, Marlin watched Shandi closely. “You don’t look too happy, sweetheart.”

“I’m fine.” she lied.

“Brett?” he asked.

Shandi nodded her head, feeling pain for the breakup between her and her boyfriend, Brett Pitcher. Marlin ignored her pain and kept driving. He always thought it was silly for Shandi to get involved with all of those guys.

At the studio, Shandi was brought straight to hair dresser. They started to straighten her hair and fill it with many hair products and then filled her face full of makeup. She looked like a whole new person.

After she left the room, she was brought out to a set where a new photographer sat and waited for her.

“It’s about time!” he yelled. “Listen, sweetheart. You really need to get here quicker. I do not have the patience to wait all day.”

“Sorry.” Shandi apologized.

“Do not apologize. We have no time for it. Now go stand by the cameras and work it. Remember. We are advertising sports drinks.” the photographer yelled as he walked to the camera.

Shandi started to pose. The photographer yelled and perfected her every time.

Now we’re back where we started. I’m sweaty, tired, and sore. If I wanted to look like I did at the moment, I would have just come to the studio after my jog. I’ve never head of this photographer before. I was told by Marlin that he was good though.

“Almost done, baby. Yeah that’s it. Work it. Sweat it all out. Alright cut.” the photographer walked over to Shandi and got up close and personal. “Now we need you to look like you’ve just finished playing a sport.”

The photographer put his hand out and I looked at it. “I’m not taking those.”

“Come on. It’s just for the photo-shoot.” He stuck them in her face as she pushed away and walked off the set. “Marlin, tell your client here to do as I say.”

“What are you asking her to do?” Marlin asked.

“Tell her to take these pills. They’re going to help her make the look of the photo.” he explained.

“She’s a teenager Terence. I refuse to let her take drugs. Let’s go Shandi.”

We left the studio and I was dropped off at home where I hit a party with my friends, got hit on by a lot of boys, collected their numbers, gave mine out, and even had a couple of drinks. I went home wasted and I’m sure I had a new boyfriend. My life has always been difficult but I always have Marlin to help me simplify it a little. Thank you Marlin!

© 2008 Samee's twin sis- Shandi


Author's Note

Samee's twin sis- Shandi
It was hours that I spent at that studio posing only to give up the photos. I�ve been offered to take drugs by many photographers just to fit the photo. Marlin has always been there even for my latest accident. I�m almost about to give up modeling. Even if I don�t get paid much, I think I want to work at an actual job but I would never leave New York. I might even get into singing but never for the professionals. I know this was never a great story but it is my first time writing and if you review this I don�t want to hear criticism. I just wanted everyone to know the life I go through.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good thing Marlin's got your back!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow, rough life alright. You are unspeakably lucky to have someone like Marlin there for you, he sounds like a really great manager. I'm glad he's there to look out for you, shows that there are modeling managers out there who actually care for their models, not just money. Even if you do quit modeling I'd say he's a good friend to keep in touch with. Keep your chin up Shandi. Thanks for showing us this little glimpse of your day-to-day life.

Posted 15 Years Ago


hooray for marlin!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 12, 2008

Author

Samee's twin sis- Shandi
Samee's twin sis- Shandi

New York, NY



About
I used to work as a small time model in New York and then moved onto designing clothes. Now, I live with my personal friend, Marlin Mirdez and he takes good care of me as I intern for one of the hott.. more..

Writing